GOLFMKV

DerHase's 2019 GTI Rabbit Edition: HPDE shenanigans

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Forgot to post but full trip report here:

https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/tripreports/fastivus2023

And car just got done having the 034 RCO ball joints removed to put the stock ones back on, reset my camber bushings to their max, and car nut-and-bolt checked before NASA Oktoberfast this weekend. Bled the brakes for good measure since it's a 3-day event.

Also finally looked at the paint applied to the calipers - no color change is good there - they're not getting ridiculously hot.

Doing the instructor clinic Friday so it'll be a very busy weekend. Probably not as much driving as usual but I'll be testing the now fully retrofitted PCV utilizing the venturi since street testing went well.
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/drivetrain/mk8pcv-venturi

Attachments

• IMG_6215.jpeg
    IMG_6215.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6212.jpeg
    IMG_6212.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6213.jpeg
    IMG_6213.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Minor update not worth putting on the website: got my free ugly OEM wheels back from being painted by a buddy (was an exchange for helping him replace his front sway bar) along with 15mm spacers:

1701750006138.png

1701750038291.png

Funny enough I don't actually completely hate them. They have 215/45R17 Conti ECS on them which I'll be taking with me to VIR this weekend. The car feels super nimble on these small tires. The wheels are relatively heavy, but the massively reduced scrub radius makes the car feel very "playful". A really lightweight set of narrowish 17in wheels would be a lot of fun from a daily standpoint I think.

I am renting the GTI out for the weekend to a friend of a friend so probably won't be driving it as much/as hard as usual.

There are a pair of 17x9 Konig Hypergrams that should be here tomorrow thanks to Sean at www.itsnotstock.com . Highly recommend him, he called a few suppliers to make sure they were in stock and shipping from a warehouse in time for me to get them this week before the event. I got them mainly so I can bring all (6) of my V730s with me as well just in case, though that may not really be necessary. Will put the 245s square V730s on the Apex wheels and the 255 pair on the Konigs.

Shaping up plans for next year, I'll be buying another pair of Hypergrams of course to make a full set, and those will get wrapped in either RE71RS or Nankang CR-S (V2) for autocross, and I'll probably keep burning through the remainder of the V730s on track (with either the autocross set with me as backup ready to go, or rain tires depending on expected weather).

Testing this weekend will include my MK8 PCV with the holes in it, detailed here:

I'll probably also be trying to play with the rain setup a bit by switching the front sway bar to soft. Reduced grip = less body roll = not as much roll stiffness is necessary. Since it's looking like ALL Sunday will be rain, I'll probably end up swapping my DS2500 pads back on Saturday night as there won't be a need for the grabby track pads in the rain.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Too many finger widths of wheel gap going on. Are those reps bro? Needs bags. TIA.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Hideous on this car IMO, but light and cheap and the right size 💯

Needs lowered bad.

Taking these as spares in case the 255 fronts get corded on Saturday between me and my codriver. Guy is very experienced in all kinds of different cars, so curious to see what I can learn from his data.

Attachments

• IMG_6570.jpeg
    IMG_6570.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 53
  • A7A4DD23-9392-4949-8CE0-BE077464942E.jpeg
    A7A4DD23-9392-4949-8CE0-BE077464942E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6576.jpeg
    IMG_6576.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6590.jpeg
    IMG_6590.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 51

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Dude, just noticed the tire and balancing machines. Bad ass. Gets expensive mounting and balancing. $120 last time I went. EVERYTHING has doubled it seems.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Yeah, they were a steal for $2200 brand new right at the beginning of Covid in 2020. Easily one of the best purchases I've made, though it does suck how much space they take up in the garage. They paid for themselves mounting tires for people within like 6mo...

1701922934800.png

This was at the old house, but I'd regularly have 20-40 wheels and/or tires sitting in the garage to mount and balance at any given time, primarily right at the beginning of the year before events start up. A friend of mine bought out something like 6 sets of wheels/tires from an ex-IMSA race team, and had me swapping tires from wheel X to wheel Y, etc on a pretty regular basis.

Not to mention you have the benefit of being able to flip directional tires at any time, score deals on FB where you can help the seller out by separating wheels/tires for them to knock price down, etc. I've bought a set of ugly ass 4x100 wheels (when I had my Mazda2) specifically because they had lightly used but great condition RS4s on them. Bought them for like $300, put some "ok" used tires on them and sold the set for $250 to someone with a Miata. Needless to say they've paid for themselves several times over now.

Also I don't have to trust some idiot to not scratch my shit up. That's the worst.

I've had to do some sketchy shit with mounting tires too... do not recommend.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I wish I lived near DerHase😪

I'm a slave to Discount Tire.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
So what you’re telling me is it’s a business opportunity really. Just trying to come up with my sales pitch to my wife. 😬

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Will probably be a few days before the full trip report is up, but here's a video of a mediocre "fast lap" of the weekend not pushing real hard with @Treadup in the passenger seat. You can watch the delta timer vs my personal best to see where I'm leaving a ton of time in the brake zones.

LOTS of MQBs at VIR with the Tidewater Sports Car Club:
MQBatVIR2023.jpg

Taking the guy who rented my car for the weekend out to get a feel for the track/car:
A93A3789_tonydriving_tompassenger.jpg

And my novice Matt who I was instructing in a red GTI:
A93A5437_tony_w_matt.jpg

And @Treadup who I think I convinced these cars don't need shit to be good. Just drive the balls off of them and work on the driver.
A93A8308_tony_w_justin.jpg

Last edited:

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Will probably be a few days before the full trip report is up, but here's a video of a mediocre "fast lap" of the weekend not pushing real hard with @Treadup in the passenger seat:

LOTS of MQBs at VIR with the Tidewater Sports Car Club:
View attachment 296387

Taking the guy who rented my car for the weekend out to get a feel for the track/car:
View attachment 296392

And my novice Matt who I was instructing in a red GTI:
View attachment 296393

And @Treadup who I think I convinced these cars don't need shit to be good. Just drive the balls off of them and work on the driver.
View attachment 296394
Hell yea man your car is a riot. As I mentioned, it honestly felt faster in some areas of the track than the 911 I got a ride in.
My street/show/track car will remain what it is but I won’t tell anyone they need to do everything I have to have fun!
I’d honestly love to have a stripped down GTI just for the track with a dsg.