GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Difference between Red & Chrome badges

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
Hello guys,

Im in the market for a 2020-2021 MK8 GTI, all MK8s i have seen so far have Red GTI badges, but only a few have Chrome GTI badges. What is the difference between both? Does the Red badges come with a special package/option?

Edit: im from Europe

Thanks!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
As far as I’m aware, all European market Mk8 GTI’s have the red badges with the chrome border?!

Attachments

• IMG_3807.jpeg
    IMG_3807.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 12

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
As far as I’m aware, all European market Mk8 GTI’s have the red badges with the chrome border?!

Thats correct indeed, they all come as the picture above. But i have seen only a few, like 2 or 3 with full chrome badges and im wondering if they have not opted a special option on those cars with full chrome badges. Or those cars have been in a accident and they placed wrong badges.

There is one that i want to buy, but the all chrome badges are throwing me off

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
If you want a red badge on your car, but the one you are looking at has a chrome badge, you can buy a red badge from the parts department and then install it in place of the existing chrome badge. If you look closely, you will see that the portion of the grill that the badge is mounted on is only about 5 or 6 inches long. It is a "press to fit" part held in by two clips. See the attached photo.

If the car you are looking at is a new car, you could probably convince the dealer to change the badge for you at no charge if you tell them that is all they have to do to make the sale.

Installing the red badge adds at least another 10 horsepower to the car.

GTI badge.jpg

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
If you want a red badge on your car, but the one you are looking at has a chrome badge, you can buy a red badge from the parts department and then install it in place of the existing chrome badge. If you look closely, you will see that the portion of the grill that the badge is mounted on is only about 5 or 6 inches long. It is a "press to fit" part held in by two clips. See the attached photo.

If the car you are looking at is a new car, you could probably convince the dealer to change the badge for you at no charge if you tell them that is all they have to do to make the sale.

Installing the red badge adds at least another 10 horsepower to the car.

View attachment 302966

Thankyou for your answer & for the information on how to change it. I actually do know that it is changeable, i have owned other mark gti’s in the past.

My worry is more about the fact that the GTI i want to buy has full chrome badges instead of red badges with chrome outline. Like is the car missing a certain option which include the red badges?

Its a 2020 GTI with 40K KM on it

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I’ve never seen or heard mention on other forums of all-chrome GTI badges on a mk8 Golf GTI and I’d be surprised if this hadn’t come up before on a forum in the time that the mk8 GTI / GTI Clubsport and GTI Clubsport ED45 has been in existence.

@GTIpowerr - It could be that the car you’ve seen has had its original red GTI badges replaced with aftermarket chrome badges by a previous owner - like the one at the link below. Alternatively, the original badges may have had a chrome / silver coloured vinyl overlay applied to them (Badgeskins sell these in a variety of colours, including silver, for the mk8 GTI - https://badgeskins.com/collections/...grille-gti-badge-inlay?variant=42827959468088

Are the small GTI badges on the front wings / fenders also chrome or just those on the front grille and the tailgate?

The early mk7 Golf GTI non-performance models with the lower engine bhp used to have chrome GTI badges. Is it possible a previous owner has substituted the original badges with the chrome version from a mk7 GTI (non-performance) car? It would be easy to tell as the font style used for the GTI lettering would be different to that in the picture posted by @PanEuropean above.

Mk7 GTI chrome GTI font style;
IMG_1523.jpeg

Link to chrome aftermarket mk8 style GTI badge;

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/159...e=1&gbraid=0AAAAADutTMeQKjQCv2skwd7lTs-276ryQ

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
...is the car missing a certain option which include the red badges?
I doubt that the difference in the colour of the GTI logo is indicative of any difference in specification of the rest of the car. It's not like 15 years ago when the vehicles had 'TDI' lettering on the rear, and the number of letters that were in red indicated horsepower differences of the engine.

The only colour difference at the front end that I am aware of is the difference in colour of the stripe across the top of the headlamp assemblies. If you have a red stripe on the grille but a silver (chrome) stripe across the top of the headlights, that indicates one specification of headlight (not the highest one).

If you have a red stripe across the grille and it appears to continue with an identical red stripe across the top of the headlights, that indicates that the vehicle has the highest specification "IQ" headlights.

Note to North Americans: We all get an intermediate specification headlight (with a chrome stripe). The full IQ capability headlight is not offered in North America.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Thankyou for your answer & for the information on how to change it. I actually do know that it is changeable, i have owned other mark gti’s in the past.

My worry is more about the fact that the GTI i want to buy has full chrome badges instead of red badges with chrome outline. Like is the car missing a certain option which include the red badges?

Its a 2020 GTI with 40K KM on it
is this it?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403217817618
If so. It’s either a bad picture, or it’s got some vinyl overlays as suggested above, there are no uk supplied Mk8 GTI’s with anything other than red GTI badges like the picture at the top of the page.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
is this it?
If so. It’s either a bad picture, or it’s got some vinyl overlays as suggested above, there are no uk supplied Mk8 GTI’s with anything other than red GTI badges like the picture at the top of the page.

Well spotted @Carlosfandang0!

That GTI also has a number of other cosmetic modifications; aftermarket alloys, fake carbon fibre rear spoiler, rear diffuser, front bumper inserts, sill extensions, door mirror caps and what are described as ‘upgraded’ exhaust tips.

Cosmetic mods are a very personal thing and not to everyone’s taste so if this is the car the OP was considering, then when the time comes to sell a few years down the line, it won’t appeal to everyone so might make it more difficult to sell - or costly to return it back to OEM. Just something for the OP to bear in mind.

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
I’ve never seen or heard mention on other forums of all-chrome GTI badges on a mk8 Golf GTI and I’d be surprised if this hadn’t come up before on a forum in the time that the mk8 GTI / GTI Clubsport and GTI Clubsport ED45 has been in existence.

@GTIpowerr - It could be that the car you’ve seen has had its original red GTI badges replaced with aftermarket chrome badges by a previous owner - like the one at the link below. Alternatively, the original badges may have had a chrome / silver coloured vinyl overlay applied to them (Badgeskins sell these in a variety of colours, including silver, for the mk8 GTI - https://badgeskins.com/collections/...grille-gti-badge-inlay?variant=42827959468088

Are the small GTI badges on the front wings / fenders also chrome or just those on the front grille and the tailgate?

The early mk7 Golf GTI non-performance models with the lower engine bhp used to have chrome GTI badges. Is it possible a previous owner has substituted the original badges with the chrome version from a mk7 GTI (non-performance) car? It would be easy to tell as the font style used for the GTI lettering would be different to that in the picture posted by @PanEuropean above.

Mk7 GTI chrome GTI font style;
View attachment 302970

Link to chrome aftermarket mk8 style GTI badge;

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/159...e=1&gbraid=0AAAAADutTMeQKjQCv2skwd7lTs-276ryQ

I have never seen all chrome badges on a MK8 GTI either, thats why im confused. Either the red badges are replaced with all chrome badges, like you said or the car been in a crash and they replaced the badges without knowing that it should be red.

The logos on the wings/fenders are full chrome but the badge itself is red, the background is red. Its like that on all mk8s.

Yes on the mk7 it was like that indeed but the mk8 doesnt have performance version

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
I doubt that the difference in the colour of the GTI logo is indicative of any difference in specification of the rest of the car. It's not like 15 years ago when the vehicles had 'TDI' lettering on the rear, and the number of letters that were in red indicated horsepower differences of the engine.

The only colour difference at the front end that I am aware of is the difference in colour of the stripe across the top of the headlamp assemblies. If you have a red stripe on the grille but a silver (chrome) stripe across the top of the headlights, that indicates one specification of headlight (not the highest one).

If you have a red stripe across the grille and it appears to continue with an identical red stripe across the top of the headlights, that indicates that the vehicle has the highest specification "IQ" headlights.

Note to North Americans: We all get an intermediate specification headlight (with a chrome stripe). The full IQ capability headlight is not offered in North America.

Yeah i doubt that too. Its 100% replaced, but the question is if its replaced because the previous owner didnt like the red logos, or because the car has been in a accident.

Youre right about the headlights. This car has full IQ light, front & back.

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
No sir, Thats not the GTI im talking about.

Im not from the UK. But damn UK cars are CHEAP lol. £24K is €28K here which is still extremely cheap for a mk8 gti. Same spec & miles would be 40k euros here lol

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
is this it?
No sir, Thats not the GTI im talking about.

Yeah theres no EU spec GTI with full chrome badges either so im confused.

Im not from the UK. But damn UK cars are CHEAP lol. £24K is €28K here which is still extremely cheap for a mk8 gti. Same spec & miles would be 40k euros here lol

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
@GTIpowerr; in the UK, availability of used mk8 Golf GTI’s is pretty good. Therefore, if I was looking for one and I had doubts about a specific car - such as whether the replacement badges were an indication of the car having been in an accident - then I’d disregard that specific car and look elsewhere for another.

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
... UK cars are CHEAP lol. £24K is €28K here which is still extremely cheap for a mk8 gti. Same spec & miles would be 40k euros here lol
I'm afraid I just don't understand European pricing.

Last week of December 2023 I bought a new 2024 GTI 'Performance' specification car (basically, the fully loaded Canadian model, comes with leather, 19 inch wheels, HK sound, HUD, sunroof, adaptive cruise, folding mirrors, backup camera, 3 zone climate, heated/ventilated seats, dynamic headlights, enhanced keyless entry, all the travel assist & ACC stuff) for CAD $42,890. That's £25K, or €29,200, for a NEW car with a 4 year warranty.

How the Europeans are managing to sell the vehicles for more than that - without even having to ship them across the ocean - perplexes me.

Michael