GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disable hill assist, permanently.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Well, almost permanently

I'm sure everyone reading this knows about the early/normal/late function feature in OBD11 and VCDS, however, right under it there is a hill assist threshold value function which is set at 3% from default. I figured this had something to do with how early or late hill assist remains on, so I changed the value to 1%. My driveway is on a decent incline so it is the perfect testing spot. 1% didn't seem to do anything, so then it clicked, the % value must be the % of incline... so I changed the value to 10%, and voila, hill assist no longer kicks in on my drive way at all. No idea what the incline on my driveway is, but I guess it's more then 3% and less 10%. I suppose I need to find a road that is a 10% incline, but that's pretty steep :D

I didn't see this posted anywhere so thought I would share

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
There is also an option in the long coding / advanced coding to make the car think it doesn't even have hill assist if you want. That's a little more advanced though.

The Fed: Does the golf R have the hold assist button? I've noticed some VW's do, and some don't. My GTI doesn't have a button to disable it, but it does have the feature.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There is also an option in the long coding / advanced coding to make the car think it doesn't even have hill assist if you want. That's a little more advanced though.

The Fed: Does the golf R have the hold assist button? I've noticed some VW's do, and some don't. My GTI doesn't have a button to disable it, but it does have the feature.

If it's the same as the AUTOHOLD feature on the Electronic Parking Brake then yes. I didn't even turn it on until I was used to the car. Now I use it most of the time. It does have one perceived flaw - the slightest pressure on the gas pedal releases it, so I either leave room behind a car in front of me or keep my foot on the brake pedal.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If it's the same as the AUTOHOLD feature on the Electronic Parking Brake then yes. I didn't even turn it on until I was used to the car. Now I use it most of the time. It does have one perceived flaw - the slightest pressure on the gas pedal releases it, so I either leave room behind a car in front of me or keep my foot on the brake pedal.

Autohold! Yes, that is what it is called, I done goofed. Right, those are for the electric parking brake. The GTI's don't have that, so they use the ABS module and pump to apply pressure to the rear brakes... I think.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Yes I did find the long coding option after I did the threshold trick. I suppose either option works, this one is easier though

The Fed: other then the golf R and e-golf, the handbrake is the old fashioned style, even though all mk7s in the rest of the world are electronic... Why the north American golf's made in Mexico got regular handbrakes beats me

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Pull green fuse #20. Disables abs, all nannies, and hill assist. Downside is xmas on your dash. :).

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Yes I did find the long coding option after I did the threshold trick. I suppose either option works, this one is easier though

The Fed: other then the golf R and e-golf, the handbrake is the old fashioned style, even though all mk7s in the rest of the world are electronic... Why the north American golf's made in Mexico got regular handbrakes beats me

I'd rather have a manual parking brake than an electric parking brake any day. How else can you e-brake slide?

emanon

Ready to race!
You'll have a hell of a time finding a 10% grade on public highways. Most max out around 6% unless you're in some crazy hills (LA foothills, San Fran, etc)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Why?

Tsi7

Ready to race!
For all those asking why, I personally can't stand hill assist. I've had 4 manual cars so far, and this is the first with hill assist... If you can drive a manual properly, you don't need a computer to hold the car for you on a steep incline... Just my 2 cents

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
For all those asking why, I personally can't stand hill assist. I've had 4 manual cars so far, and this is the first with hill assist... If you can drive a manual properly, you don't need a computer to hold the car for you on a steep incline... Just my 2 cents

You may not like it but using the brake to hold you for a few seconds on a hill vs the clutch and extra throttle is a no brainer.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You may not like it but using the brake to hold you for a few seconds on a hill vs the clutch and extra throttle is a no brainer.

Less likelihood of drifting back into the car in back of you. Most of clutch wear is during starting, so more clutch life?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Doesn't the Autobahn have the EPB? I may be wrong.