Votes: 29 65.9%
  • Digital

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbm119

Ready to race!
What would you prefer?
For me, I am perfectly fine with GTI gauge with two big analog gauge displaying speed and tach. And one digital in the middle to display what ever you desire. I mostly have it on speed since it is difficult to read speed fast since it is so closely marked.
I am ok with Golf R digital display but more and more digital gauge/display are just too much like some AUDI models. It is too..... distracting. With auto drive features people may have time to play with on the road, but how about good old joy of driving?

What you guys thought?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I like digital for the speedometer. Easier to read than a dial. My main concern is how fast does the speedo and tach read? If there's a noticeable delay on one then I think you should use the other on the track.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I prefer analog for RPM and speed, but don't particularly like the way the speed is displayed in the MK7. My MKV speed was very clean and easy to read, I feel the MK7 has too many numbers on it. Throw the oil temp in the center display and I'm good to go.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I prefer the analog gauge. I think that it's better to look at, and it also reacts quicker when accelerating. I usually put my center display on oil temperature and let the good times roll. In regard to the full digital display I am not a fan. If I have the option I would go for the analog gauges every time.

A heads up display would be nice though...

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Analog for speed and Tacho.
Digital in the middle for oil temperature etc...

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
analog...I'm old and know enough about early digital systems to worry about 10 year old systems.

Mud

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The advantage of dial gauges is that it's much easier to see rates of change of parameters. With a digital numerical readout all I see is numbers scrolling past my eyes. First time I drove a Civic with a digital speedo back in the day I was not at all satisfied.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
The advantage of dial gauges is that it's much easier to see rates of change of parameters. With a digital numerical readout all I see is numbers scrolling past my eyes. First time I drove a Civic with a digital speedo back in the day I was not at all satisfied.
I you 'liked' that you have loved the Renault Megane I tried very briefly. The only car I've come across with 4 different non-configurable display methods all showing at the same time: LCD digital speedo, LCD bar displays for fuel & coolant temp, analogue dial rev counter & LED miles / trip meter. Confusing - you're not kiddin', I didn't like the actual car much either. As for Honda Civics, very nice car apparently, but I can't stand that blooming great OEM spoiler smack in the middle of the rear window, the very area where you need to be able to see....

Last edited:

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I like the digital gauges, so much so that I retrofitted the Active Info Display into my 2015 :D The functionality is quite cool.

But I can certainly still see the appeal of analog gauges for a more timeless look.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I like the digital gauges, so much so that I retrofitted the Active Info Display into my 2015 :D The functionality is quite cool.

But I can certainly still see the appeal of analog gauges for a more timeless look.

I like the uncluttered-ness of that speedo. Numbers every 20 mph is plenty.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I like the uncluttered-ness of that speedo. Numbers every 20 mph is plenty.

Agreed - and with the digital readout at the bottom of the speedo, you're never left guessing your speed.

In that pic, I have the speedo also set in the center (a bit redundant) - but I usually have the map pulled up there. Can also switch to a cleaner layout completely, with a big gear indicator in the middle of the tach, and a big speed readout in the middle of the speedo. Very configurable.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
I prefer the analog gauge. I think that it's better to look at, and it also reacts quicker when accelerating.

maybe in our turtle cars, but the The LF-A had to have a digital dash because an analog setup couldn't keep up with rev changes

"This necessitated the need for a digital rev counter, since an analogue system simply could not keep pace with the engine’s incredible ability to gain and lose revolutions."

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/2011-lexus-lf-a-ar80592.html

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Even though i prefer analog displays, readability and configurability of digital display is unmatchable. I wouldnt mind having that on my vehicle.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I have not used the digital yet so I cant say for sure. From videos I have seen it looks amazing and very appealing to the eye. But in reality other than a status symbol I dont see it offering much more over the analog.