GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Oil Change on GTI (without Oil Drain Tool)

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Thanks for the thread! I'm about to change mine out very soon. Any suggestions for where to get the best filter?

Online. Dbcperformance had 5 of them for $40. If shipping is still free for an order over $50, get something else for $10 more and get free shipping. That works out to $8 per filter. That's what I did.

I get mine at NAPA - $16 as opposed to $28 at the dealer.

Wow, that's a ridiculous amount the dealership charges. Chicagoland dealers charge about $15-16 and that's with the 8-10% tax.

tehwhiteegg

White Egg
Car(s)
2006 mkv gti
not that big of a deal just use a damn socket 10-13 and press up. no tool needed. either that or you could literally just press it up with your finga.

likes2driveslow

Ready to race!
Online. Dbcperformance had 5 of them for $40. If shipping is still free for an order over $50, get something else for $10 more and get free shipping. That works out to $8 per filter. That's what I did.

Wow, that's a ridiculous amount the dealership charges. Chicagoland dealers charge about $15-16 and that's with the 8-10% tax.

+1

i get my oil from them too (free shipping)

i use the pentosin high performance 2. something like $35 for 5L. it's on the 502 00 list and what my local vw shop used on my car in the past. i haven't had any oil loss issues w/ it

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah, I usually get Motul 8100 X-Cess from them. Mine uses about a quart/liter per 2000 miles or so, so I get 6 liters.

vinzo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 gti dsg
where can i find a 36 mm 1/2 inch socket, i dont want to order anything online, but icant find a sears that has it

likes2driveslow

Ready to race!
where can i find a 36 mm 1/2 inch socket, i dont want to order anything online, but icant find a sears that has it

i know you don't want to order online but i found mine on amazon for $10. it's made for ford diesels or something but lots of people use them for VWs and BMWs.

the one by vw is $50. i couldn't find it at sears either.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I think my dad bought one for my mom's Volvo V70 XC from Autozone. It turns out it's the same size that our cars use which is cool.

Alexiscoolbitches

Fortified with biscuits

Autozone has them. They aren't cheap (like $20 bucks for one socket) but you will need it.

TurntUp123

Passed Driver's Ed
The little cap on the oil filter what do you mean by reset it? just make sure it is back in place or is there a certain way to set it with your allen key?

DuBB SWaGG

GTI 3yr Veteran
Car(s)
GTI MkV
subd

Kelion

Passed Driver's Ed
Did my first change on my 2006 tonite. Didn't take too long, I followed this guide. SUPER EASY props on a good write-up OP. I gotta say tho WTF was VW/Audi thinking when they did the cheapo plastic fliter housing, that is the most moronic thing I've ever had to deal with. I didn't have a 36mm didn't feel like shelling out $20 for one either, used a crescent wrench worked just fine. Didn't bother with the orange nipple thing, wasn't too big of a mess. As far as this "crush washer" goes, mine was just a run-of-the-mill washer. Tightened to 30Nm no leaks.
Does anyone know if there is something aftermarket in the line of filters/filter housing, that isn't cheapo plastic, that feels like it will break if you stare at it too hard?
Again good write up!

Elwood

3-7-77
You don't need to remove the cover to see the drain plug. You do need to remove it to get to the filter, though.

Find a new place to take your car where the kids make more than minimum wage.