GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DO NOT carry out software updates.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
A word to the wise. DO NOT CARRY OUT SOFTWARE UPDATES. Today I was invited to do a OTA software update. It said something about CPU or CUP and much textual diarrhoea. I clicked OK and the infotainment screen was unavailable for about ten miles. When completed the screen returned to normal. I then happened to use the ACC. It went ape sh*t. Set at about 50mph and the display went to 37mph, then 19mph, with the occasional 60mph. The car slowed down and increased to nearly these various speeds every few seconds. Later I tried setting it to 40mph. It tried to go to 37 and 19 again. Then a display said (several times) that I was a approaching a 25mph limit. I was in a 60 limit. There is no 25mph speed limits in this country. Go figure.

I am seriously p*ssed off. Had this problem well over a year ago and I had to take it to my, not very software savvy, VW dealer to sort (twice). I expect they will say it’s not covered by the extended warranty. Moral of this sad tale - if everything is working OK (which it was) -

DO NOT CARRY OUT SOFTWARE UPDATES.

• Haha
Reactions: tos

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Very frustrating to say the least. I’m fortunate that my 2020 Polo GTI+ is too old for OTA updates - the current facelift model does have the same OTA software update functionality as the mk8 Golf though.

I see that my car insurance policy (I’m insured with LV) has a specific clause in it relating to OTA updates. The policy cover excludes;

‘Loss or damage caused by failure to install and/or accept OTA updates recommended by your car's manufacturer.’

So it would be worth checking your policy to see if you have a similar clause before taking the decision not to accept future OTA updates. Not complying with the policy terms might invalidate the policy in the event of a claim, and insurance companies don’t need much of an excuse to not pay out! 🤔

Good luck with getting this resolved. Irrespective of the warranty position, you would hope that if VW have released a software update for OTA installation that proves to be defective and not fit for purpose, then they would rectify any subsequent issues relating to that update at no cost to you.

Please update this discussion thread once you’ve been to the dealer to get this sorted.

Last edited:

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Just looked. My car has been ‘down dated/graded’ from 1899 to 1941.

If ever the expression ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it‘ was true this must be it.

SRGTD thanks for your reply. Never considered the insurance implications of this. We are now in mad over complicated world. Come back Mini 1275GT all is forgiven (nearly).

1700306320507.jpeg

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
Does it work OK now or is still doing that? It seems like you updated while driving, that might mess everything up. I've had that issue too but only on some highways where for some reason it thinks that I will take the off-ramp and brake from 130km/h to like 40km/h.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I always thought updates only took place with the ignition on and the engine running. I’m sure I’ve seen a message on the screen saying that the update will finish the next time the car is run if the engine is turned off before the update is completed (or words to that effect). Pretty crap design if that is not the case … but Hey Ho it is a bloody Volkswagen whose reputation when it comes to software is of a very low bar.

tos

Go Kart Champion
This was when I got online update from 1803 to 1896, its translated from Finnish to English:

1700390031865.png

I did update to 1941 manually myself 6 months ago, so I do not know what instructions said before start this latest update.

This is from erWin, if something happens...
If the customer receives a complaint related to performing an OTA remote update, see technical information:
• TPI 2070058/* "Electrical: OTA update: information electronics update to version 1941 fails"
• TPI 20 70082 /* ” Electricity: information electronics

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Pleased to report that on a 60 mile journey today both the ACC and Travel Assist worked perfectly and I used one or other at every opportunity. Obviously the computery thing must have had a hissy fit (to be fair, so did I) and after a couple of nights rest it pulled itself together, did the decent thing and got it’s act together. Haven’t seen any changes as a result of this frustrating update.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
I agree with the OP & don't intend to do OTA updates at all, despite encouragement from the dealer. Seen too many posts & videos on Youtube of people who attempted it & some absolute nitemare scernarios ensued: screen permanently froze in mid-update, just went black & stayed black, updating forever, nothing worked afterwards, items randomly changing & turning themselves on & off, etc, etc. Prob like any electronic device (PCs, phones, etc) IMO when they work fine they are great, when they don't, well the dustbin is too good for them. I get random functions apparently not available (hill start, front assist, etc) 99.99% of the time the messages soon disappear but they work work anyway, but always when the car has been stopped & re-started, mechanically the car is fine. If others have OTA updates to work that's great, but I'm leaving any updates to the dealer at servces....

Last edited:

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I am constantly waiting for software based things to stop working. I’m frequently operating functions to see if they are still operative. Doing software updates only leads to extra frustrations and stress which I can do without.

MikeMK8

Ready to race!
In my experience I got an update pop up about two weeks ago, did it, then I started getting Front Assist and Lane Assist issues which would disappear after like 5 minutes of driving. About a week ago I got another update that I'm guessing fixed these. Now no issues pop up.

tos

Go Kart Champion
In my experience I got an update pop up about two weeks ago, did it, then I started getting Front Assist and Lane Assist issues which would disappear after like 5 minutes of driving. About a week ago I got another update that I'm guessing fixed these. Now no issues pop up.
We have that "feature" all the time in Finland, if I will not clean windscreen from ice.
At cold weather there are moisture or ice on windscreen by the camera. When camera cannot see correctly, it causes these errors and when driving more, it goes back working. There are heating below camera.

MikeMK8

Ready to race!
We have that "feature" all the time in Finland, if I will not clean windscreen from ice.
At cold weather there are moisture or ice on windscreen by the camera. When camera cannot see correctly, it causes these errors and when driving more, it goes back working. There are heating below camera.
Oh so its because of the cold. Im guessing mine was probably the software only since in my country its still hot weather. Also got another update just today saying it was minor improvements and some bug fixes

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
What model year did the OTA start to be a thing?