GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver side interior weather seal

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I bought a used '17 that is in generally good shape cosmetically. However on the driver side, interior, body mounted, right where you might grab the door frame to get out...the rubber sealed is BEAT.

Someone clearly either grabbed here to get out of the vehicle, or rubbed it frequently on the way in. Anyways there's a large hole in the seal now. The door doesn't appear to be leaking but I would like to fix this.
Anyone know where I can find a new seal, and possible some image or diagram of how it's mounted/installed?

I assume it's just glued up with an automotive glue/sealant and should be pretty easy to remove and replace.

Thank you!

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
I found very few other posts on the interwebs about folks with a similar issue, but no one seems to have actually attempted it.
I'm 99% sure this is the part https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...or-Seal-Front--Lower/53175700/5G4867912A.html
However what type of sealant is used here?
I suspect its something like this https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M then you slide the thing on and roll it out. Nothing here about setting times, but that's likely sealant based.

EDIT: its the same part used on like 100+ other car/years and I found a few video of those swaps. Looks like a trim piece or two will be popped off to do the install. I'll try to get some pics of the process when I do it.

Last edited:

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
The new seal will be here tomorrow and weather pending I'm hoping to try this out this weekend.
something keeps tripping me up though, the VW replacement method says "replacement seals must use a hammer stroke seal" I can't find anything online that indicates what that means.
Does anyone know anything about this?

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Update:
The good: The part was correct. The glue was correct.
The bad: Moving the trim out of the way meant undoing all the driver side trim. This includes the A/B pillars, the threshold, the grab handle, the two dash pieces, the small triangle window piece, and the footwell kick panel where the hood latch it.

Once all the trim was removed, I indexed the old seal with the new one. There's a clear weld in the seal and I just lined these up, test fit to confirm, then cleaned off all the old adhesive. Applied new adhesive, and attached seal. I'm 80% sure they use a tool at the factory to squish the seal. I use a flat face visegrips clamp and went around the entire seal.

Today we got over an inch of rain and there's no sign of moisture past the seal.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Nice! I was just starting to search for the same issue then magically found your posts.

You really have to remive ALL that trim, huh? No ither way around it? The a pillar is a pain in the ass...

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
The a pillar is sort of a pain. It technically pulls out far enough to deal with the seal without. It’s the plastic trim around the front ?quarter? window. That actually has to come out. And as far as I could tell it’s near impossible to do that without removing the A pillar cover.

same with the headliner. You don’t have to remove it, but you need the space granted by removing the grab handle.

I didnt want to risk messing it up so I gave myself all the space I could to work.

I’m also not 100% sure I needed to “squish” the metal bead that goes over the seam in the car. But the “hammer bead” thing in the VW service information bugged me so again I figure better safe than sorry. I suspect the only way to know how effective my fix was would be to remove the seal and check for sealant/adhesive gaps. But I’m not gonna risk that.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
10-4, thanks for the information. mines all tore up from the previous owner, and i noticed a little bit of surface rust developing underneath the torn bottom area so its starting to bug me. sounds like a decent undertaking though. oh well, adding to my list. haha