GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG clicking when in Park/Neutral.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
Morning everyone,

This started this morning. Everything was fine last night.

I noticed that when my car is in park or neutral, and I put my foot on the brake, and then release the break, the DSG shifter clicks very loudly. I tried holding it in place, and I could feel it vibrate when the clicking happened. It's very loud and pronounced. I will definitely take it to the dealer if this continues...but has this happened to anyone else?

Other than that, the car functioned smoothly.

Here's a video of it I took with my phone:

Last edited:

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
If the engine/gearbox was cold, then it is fine. But to eliminate extra stress on the DSG internals...when parking, drop it into neutral, engage parking brake, and then place into park.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
Do you use the ebrake when parking normally? If not, you should be applying it before you release the foot brake so there isn't load on the transmission.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
I never use the ebrake? I've had this car for almost two years, never used the ebrake, and never heard this clicking.

It was 27 degrees outside, but the past month or so it's been like 6 degrees. I still haven't heard that clicking until today.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
You should always use the parking brake.

This. Definitely this.

But aren't you just hearing the safety lockout switch, the one that won't let you shift into gear until you press the brake?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I think your lockout switch is failing...

In case you didn't know, what you should do if you are parking the car always is the following. As you pull into the parking space, leave the car in D or R w/ you foot on the brake, shift the car into park while not letting go of the brake, and pull the ebrake to its normal proper engagement point. Once you are in park and have the ebrake on, you may release the foot brake and turn off the car.
To start the car, you may turn on the car at any point in time. Once you are ready to go do the following. Foot on the foot brake (slightly firm), release the ebrake, and put the car into D or R and release the foot brake as needed to get out of the parking spot. Putting the car into gear this way should feel smooth and effortless if you parked it as stated above.
There should be no negative force putting the car into gears using this proper method. As you can tell, you are using the parking brake to hold the force of the car and not the transmission at all. The reason why it is hard to put the car into gear a lot of the time is b/c people leave the car parked resting on the gear causing a lot of neg force on the trans and gear. This applies to all automatics and manual transmission cars.

This should be common knowledge but apparently not.... OP, start using the ebrake before you let off the foot brake and you will have no more issues.

anticon

Ready to race!
It seems you're missing a pedal. Sorry...

It seems you're missing a pedal. Sorry...

Now I do my fair share of trolling but they are for pointless threads or repeats of questions bleeding to death. but this, this has literally nothing to do with this thread.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
But aren't you just hearing the safety lockout switch, the one that won't let you shift into gear until you press the brake?
I think your lockout switch is failing...
Ya, I think you're right. The same thing was happening with my emergency brake on.

Do I have to worry about this? Do you think this is covered under warranty? Would it be bad if I waited until my 20k service in April to get this fixed?

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Ya, I think you're right. The same thing was happening with my emergency brake on.

Do I have to worry about this? Do you think this is covered under warranty? Would it be bad if I waited until my 20k service in April to get this fixed?

I think this should be covered under warranty and I would take it in sooner rather than later...maybe you can get a loaner. Once it gets fixed, use that hand brake to eliminate the stress put on that locking mechanism.