GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG problems

Uberryan

Banned
go up to the bigger brother lol the AUDI better warranty and better build quality.

RS3 I5 turbo 400hp begging to be tuned lol.

but i think you might be over reacting. change fluid if you haven't already and do a DSG reset.

Done and done already. It was fine for like 2 weeks after I did the reset? Then I started flogging it and the adaptation changed and now I get the rough reverse shifts. I don't think a legit problem would present itself like that, but I've been wrong before... so has the dealer, however. The car did feel a bit slower than before after the fluid change, but I assumed it required some sort of break-in period.

I question the fluid level though, so I'll probably pull the plug, see if it's overfilled, and then reset.

Uberryan

Banned
This might be my paranoia, but I just pulled a bottle of the oil I used in the DSG fluid flush I did a month or so ago, and it matches the numbers as far as the DSG bottle says, but it says DCTF-1. Still G052182A2/G052529A2 on the label. Everything matches in fact except the DCTF-1 and DSG bits. I realize DCTF means Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid, but I just want to make sure that I didn't have the wrong fluid sitting in there even if it's a marginal difference.

Examples below -

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
If the part numbers match they must be the same. What I can find online is that the Febi DCTF is marketed for the BMW DCT, it may be the same oil. Strangely though, i'm seeing the Febi DCTF as a substitute for Pentosin FFL-4, but the only Pentosin oil listed for the DSG is Pentosin FFL-2. I put that same Febi 39070 oil in my car though, but my bottle said DSG.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
ive always gotten a delay and a clunky shift between R and D and vise versa. and its even worse now after getting a dsg tune. Are you absolutely sure youre not letting vdub paranoia sweep you away here?

Jaber

Modero
ive always gotten a delay and a clunky shift between R and D and vise versa. and its even worse now after getting a dsg tune. Are you absolutely sure youre not letting vdub paranoia sweep you away here?

Every so often when backing into my garage, I'll get a delay between D and R. If I don't back off the pedal, it doesn't make a smooth transition to R. Even after DSG tune, this still happens. Also happened on our GLI with DSG.

jysaw

Ready to race!
Every so often when backing into my garage, I'll get a delay between D and R. If I don't back off the pedal, it doesn't make a smooth transition to R. Even after DSG tune, this still happens. Also happened on our GLI with DSG.

I have that too... But not very often. I was told that it's perfectly normal?

Uberryan

Banned

Is there an audible clunking sound when the car shifts from D to R or R to D? I assume there is, but just soothing the paranoia.

Jaber

Modero
Is there an audible clunking sound when the car shifts from D to R or R to D? I assume there is, but just soothing the paranoia.

Yeah sometimes there is. It's hard to tell now that I have new mounts and DSG tune, seems less clunky.

Don®

Ready to race!
It's normal for a DSG that has miles on it. Only thing you can do is keep changing the fluid when required.

The solenoids in the mechatronics unit are not as responsive as they were when they were brand new. Yes this changes and feels smoother when resetting it, but eventually goes back to 'normal'.

Uberryan

Banned
Well I will say this.

I went ahead and added another quart of fluid to the transmission after I checked the fluid level by opening the drainplug. The fluid is already extremely dark/black. Thought that was kind of odd, but I realize we're not doing a complete flush with this method, so some of the original fluid is still floating around. Regardless, fluid level wasn't what I recall the drain out to be when I cracked it open from OEM's fill. On a hot transmission, I got less than a quart out without removing the plastic straw. I recall at least a quart, if not more before.

Added the fluid, and now the transmission seems back to its old behavior (pre-fluid change). I reset it and it felt great for a while, but started driving it aggressively and it adopted some of the old behaviors. Not nearly as pronounced though as they have been. The reverse to 1st hesitation... stutter... issue seems to be gone (fingers crossed), and there is zero hesitation from stop to start now. I don't hear the gear changes nearly as loudly either, except when I was hard braking last night to see if I could get it to act up. Seems like that's really the only time I hear a loud "CLICK" which I feel is normal, and may also just be the subframe (I have the tyrol deadset kit installed, but there may be a little shift still... not sure since I don't dead stop often with the radio off in complete silence)

The only complaints I have are that I can feel the shift from 1st to stop slightly (which was there before) and it's almost like I'm dead stopping and skidding a little. It's not nearly as rough, though. Still get the slight dead zone when coasting to a stop and then taking off again, but that has been there before too.

Suffice to say, the serious quirks appear remedied by adding more fluid, which was probably my foul up, but it's still not buttery smooth in the lower gearing, which it never really was.