GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dumb question - How much AD blue do I need and can I buy any versions?

stinkykitten

Hi sorry for the Dumbo question but my ad blue is running out soon. I have around 300 miles left according to my dashboard. I was wondering how much of this stuff do I need and which one do I get? I really don't want to over spend or buy the expensive one. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also do I just fill it in the fuel tank next to it? Thanks all

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I don’t think there are too many mk8 Golf diesel owners on the forum so you may not get a response to your question(s).

Is this not covered in the Owners Manual? With the mk4 Seat Leon (essentially a mk8 Golf under the skin), there’s a section in the manual outlining the AdBlue refilling procedure and the amount you would need to add. As for which one you should get; with the Leon, it states in the owner’s manual only AdBlue that complies with ISO 22241-1 standard should be used. Presumably the Golf’s owner’s manual will include a similar statement?

There are also YouTube videos on topping up AdBlue for various models of VW.

stinkykitten

I don’t think there are too many mk8 Golf diesel owners on the forum so you may not get a response to your question(s).

Is this not covered in the Owners Manual? With the mk4 Seat Leon (essentially a mk8 Golf under the skin), there’s a section in the manual outlining the AdBlue refilling procedure and the amount you would need to add. As for which one you should get; with the Leon, it states in the owner’s manual only AdBlue that complies with ISO 22241-1 standard should be used. Presumably the Golf’s owner’s manual will include a similar statement?

There are also YouTube videos on topping up AdBlue for various models of VW.
Hi thank you for your comment however I do not see anything on the manual. I'm thinking buying this https://www.screwfix.com/p/redex-ad...SiHIhKqrJaZRrO20jHxoCfm0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Do you think it's okay to use?
I really appreciate your help again

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi thank you for your comment however I do not see anything on the manual. I'm thinking buying this https://www.screwfix.com/p/redex-ad...SiHIhKqrJaZRrO20jHxoCfm0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Do you think it's okay to use?
I really appreciate your help again
I’ve not owned a diesel engined car since 2016 and I’ve never owned one that requires AdBlue so don’t feel I’m best placed to comment on if it’s OK to use in a mk8 Golf diesel. However, I’ve seen Redex AdBlue advertised elsewhere where it’s stated that it’s suitable for all Diesel engines, plus it complies with IOS 22241-1 standard.

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Where it displays the miles left in the instrument cluster (for AdBlue) it should also give a range of litres to fill it back up, that will give you an indication of how much to buy. The manual should also state how big the AdBlue tank is, on my previous Passat it was 13 litres, so again another indication of how much you would normally need to fill.
I never used the bottles you can buy from service stations or shops, I was lucky enough to have a petrol station near me that had an AdBlue pump for cars to use, most places have ones for lorries, but I was never brave enough to try those. Using the pump was similar to when you fill up with fuel, it auto stopped when it had reached capacity.