GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

e36 M3 Opinions

glory

Ready to race!
Been toying with the idea of possibly getting an e36 m3 to work on and to drive something different then the GTI. I have never driven one and was wondering your guys' view on the car. Wanting something more driver oriented and preferabbly RWD in the summer.

Looking around the net (autotrader, kijiji, etc) most are high mileage (200+km's in Canada, 120+kms in USA). Ranging in price from 4k - 10k CDN. The 10K would be a bit over my budget. I realize as an older car it would require some work and maintenance to get back to its glory days. If my budget doesn't really allow for a proper m3, would you suggest something else?

Input and opinions appreciated.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
they are a lot of fun to drive. Great steering, and the power... damn.. you will seriously be like, "wait, this only has 240hp!?"

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
1. They are very reliable (minus water pump/radiator)
2. They are getting rare esp in unabused form
3. A good example will set you back 8-10k US.

bmw2vw

Ready to race!
I owned a 1997 M3/4/5 for 4 years, and they are fun cars. I bought mine with 130k miles, and sold it with a little over 191k miles for almost 6.5 grand. But I had a lot of money in maintenance and mods. Just make sure to have a PPI done on it before you buy it. Most of the ones that run in your range are pretty run-down and need some work.

Good luck in your search, and I would start reading on bimmerforums if I were you just to get a good knowledge of what you are about to get into.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
they are a lot of fun to drive. Great steering, and the power... damn.. you will seriously be like, "wait, this only has 240hp!?"

This x1000. Car feels much much faster than the power it has. Great cars. A friend of mine had one in high school, we drove the shit out of it and the only think he had to replace was a water pump and an A/C sensor for the auto climate control.

glory

Ready to race!
Thanks for the input so far guys. How would you say the m3 compares to the GTI? Different beast all together?

The bit of research I have done thus far says parts for the e36 arent too expensive compared to later models, this correct? Is there much difference between the 3.0L and the 3.2L engine, besides displacement and a bit more power?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input so far guys. How would you say the m3 compares to the GTI? Different beast all together?

The bit of research I have done thus far says parts for the e36 arent too expensive compared to later models, this correct? Is there much difference between the 3.0L and the 3.2L engine, besides displacement and a bit more power?

FWD vs RWD
Turbo vs N/A

M3 handles/stops better.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Way more fun than GTI and also much less forgiving. It's basically impossible to lose it in the GTI unless you are going WAY too fast - the older RWD M3 with less sophisticated electronic aids will not be as tame. If you're not running it on a track though I wouldn't worry about it.

bmw2vw

Ready to race!
I'd go with the 3.2. Parts are decent, but you are talking about cars that are 14-15 years old. Just about every E36 has P.S lines that leak, water pump, and radiator issues, guibo, ccv, ps reservoirs that clog up, ac issues, climate control units that like to quit, saggy headliners, oil consumption issues, and list goes on....

dasgti

Ready to race!
E36 is probably the best handling funniest car I've ever driven/tracked. There built like trucks and are easy to work on and parts are real easy to find. Plus the bimmer straight six with vanos (variable valve timing) is butter smooth. You'll love it. I would say its as fast as a stage 1 gti maybe quicker but its a proper car. Just look how far back the engine is mounted under the hood. They knew what they were doing. Way better than a cobbled Quattro audi with the motor hanging off the front axel. A 328 with a set of m3 cams and chip is almost as fast as an m3.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Was || this close to buying one before going with the GTI. Did the GTI because I needed a car to last me a long time. And I needed a bit more practicality.

butchered by autocorrect

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
I would go for the e46 ZHP package instead. Performance about the same, and it looks are way better. For the sake of looks, every day, why not even consider a e46 330ci in sports package...?