GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ebay Catless Downpipe Install - Pics / Opinions / Walkthrough

rockyp

First - watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTiQ1PEs2eM

It makes getting the old one out a snap. Granted the reinstall they show in the video, is a different model of dp , it's still helpful just to watch it.

It appears the 'same' dp is being sold on ebay under multiple 'names' - and prices for that matter - but if you look at the pics, you can see they're essentialy all the same. I confess i bought the cheapest one, like $145 + $10 shipping.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k16rhwwapm0w69n/2016-04-14%2008.30.48.jpg?dl=0

The dp itself looks fine to me in terms of quality. welds look good. No issues there.

For me - the only issue was the Clamp they provide. It just didn't fit. I tried for 15 minutes to muscle that thing on the pipe - outside the car - and i couldn't get it. Finally threw in the towel, drove to Summit Racing and bought this other one, which is WAY better for this situation of melding a smaller pipe to a larger one - and cost $7.99.

I HIGHLY suggest just buying this clamp in advance and make your life so much easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4g8hbkz63y3j3cb/2016-04-14%2010.48.58.jpg?dl=0

Aside from that the only other obstacle i came up against - which may happen for any dp for all i know - was that the turbo bolt clamp - i couldn't get that sucker back on. I could fish it around the mating surface, but i couldn't seem to COMPRESS it enough to get the ends to get close enough to get the bolt to thread back in. Tried vice grips, everything i could think of. I donno , maybe there's a trick to that , but i couldn't get it. I ended up just getting a longer bolt, about 1/2" longer, than the stock one. This allowed me to get the clamp mated back together and pulled tight.

Once that was done, she's good to go. No leaks or issues. That Summit clamp was huge - WAY WAY better than the one it came with.

I already had a Magnaflow Catback installed, so now, with both - s&&^ this thing is loud. A lot louder than i thought it would be.

**UPDATE TO PRIOR POST** - With this thing being Catless, and with the Magnaflow exhaust deleting the resonator , holy cow, this thing was unbearably loud. Stupid loud. So, i actually took this straight section of pipe out here, and added a 12" Glasspack from Summit, like $22.99. Made HUGE difference. Took all that noise and drone out, and now i LOVE it. I thought about adding a Resonator, but, in talking with some of their Tech Support staff, they explained the difference, and that this Glasspack would absorb more of that annoying drone, without affecting performance. So, with the Glasspack and the $40 i paid the muffler shop to weld it in, I'm out an additional $65 or so. But all in, Call it $155 for the DP + $65 for the Glasspack, i can't complain. I love the result, and it sounds great. I don't have a pic of it with the glasspack in, but maybe i'll add one later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d31tw4rq4y7km4/2016-04-14%2011.24.42.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3oaes68llm5ha5/2016-04-14%2011.24.52.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Pics don't show up for me.

Serzyfritz

Passed Driver's Ed
I also went with an ebay downpipe and judging by your issues the same exact one.

I was able however to use all existing / provided components but yes the clamp included was tight for me to get on as well and also the vband barely fit.

rockyp

Is the flange on the Ebay DP thicker than the stock DP flange?

it seemed to mate up well , i honestly don't remember making note of it. They 'seemed' to be the same. Just the band, i couldn't get it tight enough without using a longer bolt. But i don't think it had anything to do with the metal thickness.

rockyp

The pics show up on my PC but not my Ipad, no idea why...

Serzyfritz

Passed Driver's Ed
Your pictures are links to your dropbox, that only you have the sign in info for and since your signed in on your PC they show up for you there

Reflex15

I ordered this same downpipe, Mine came in with the slip joint bent, ovaled and would not seal even with a good clamp. I am having a friend remove the slip joint and vband the connection. Should be installing mine next week. Wrapping upper section with heat wrap, reflanged, and using a Vibrant jetted 02 Spacer

JMoody

Ready to race!
I just returned this exact pipe to the ebay seller. Everything about the pipe i recieved was just bad. The V-band didnt appear to be made correctly and did not want to line up, the slip joint leaked like a siv no matter how I put the clamp on and it was also leaking where it connects to the stock exhaust. Mine leaked so bad that the car threw a code even with a stage 2 tune.

Now, I ordered a CTS downpipe to replace this pipe and the quality of the CTS piece in comparison was crazy... Obviously you get what you pay for and I wasn't expecting much out of the $165 pipe anyways. But the install for the CTS piece was a breeze taking 20 minutes tops. V-band fit perfect, Clamp slid right on and sealed tight. Zero leaks and the pipe itself looks amazing!

I'm glad your ebay pipe worked out well though! After recieving mine and inspecting it, I thought it was going to work just fine.

rockyp

sorry you couldn't see the pics, changed it to just have links now. sorry - i couldn't get them to upload right.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I just installed my CTS downpipe today and before I did it I had watched that video as well as this one:

https://youtu.be/d36Xu4c51CQ

I did it just fine on ramps and didn't bother getting out the jack. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents that you don't need a lift or anything. It was tight on ramps but easily doable and the hardest for me was rotating the DP since I have a PP :)

wave

Ready to race!
Nice write-up OP. I have the same DP (Rev9 branded) and the only thing I did differently was test fit the pipes, mark the correct orientation for the slip joint in the middle, then removed it and TIG welded the two parts into one solid down pipe. Works great, love the sound (stock exhaust after DP).

StopSweatinMe

Ready to race!
Nice write-up OP. I have the same DP (Rev9 branded) and the only thing I did differently was test fit the pipes, mark the correct orientation for the slip joint in the middle, then removed it and TIG welded the two parts into one solid down pipe. Works great, love the sound (stock exhaust after DP).

Same here, not too loud and a lower pitched rumble unless you go WOT then it's mean sounding.

Reflex15

A word of advice to anyone trying to install this and having issue with the turbo vband. Mine would not line up right we managed to clamp it and it leaked. You need to remove the factory gasket on the turbo and it lines up fine and does not leak