GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU Logging Capability

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just wanted to throw this out there as I often get random DMs from people asking for help with an issue. Additionally I see people trying to troubleshoot an issue, both stock and tuned, with VCDS or OBD11. While these are both great tools for making changes to your car, adapting to new mods, etc... they both reallllly suck for logging. "I think my fuel pump is dying." "Why is my car misfiring?" "I feel like it's down on power. Boost/wastegate issue? Knock?"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.app.simostools&hl=en_US&gl=US

App is free.

Just need to buy one of these. Run you about $80 to your door (assuming North American address).

1680549229118.png

Everything on this list is natively loggable and the sampling rate is quite high. It doesn't matter what tune is on the car or if it's stock, these will be loggable:

1680549538854.png

I think all those parameters are self-explanatory but if not I am happy to explain what each one is.

Setup is easy. Plug it in the OBD port. Open up SimosTools on your phone or tablet. It automatically connects. Tap on LOGGING and it will log by turning cruise control on or off or will automatically log when the gas pedal is >70% down. This can be changed but you don't have to. What I'm saying is it's super simple and anyone can figure it out no matter how technologically challenged they think they are. It can also read and clear DTCs.

I think a lot of people only see this as "Those guys that tune app." or maybe don't venture into the OpenSource tuning thread and are missing out on a good troubleshooting tool.

Last edited:

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Link for the tool?

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Also worth adding that this app and dongle can do high speed 3E mode logging, but while that requires a patch and tuning using SIMOS Tools, Mode 22 logging does not.

Just in case anyone reads about 3E in the DIY tuning thread, that is the same dongle and app, but a different thing. The stuff Diggs posted above can be logged regardless of what tune (or lack thereof) is on the car, and SIMOS Tools logs faster and easier than anything else out there.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I want PnB on shift in all modes….

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Thanx @Diggs24 for sharing this info. This is useful to someone still learning this platform. (Me)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Excellent write up and recommendation…super useful!