GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Edmunds comparison Si vs. GTI

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
One feature I wish it had was self-payment.

Well that goes for everything ......... :laugh:

OT: have you shot any more videos of your Si? There are so few good quality Si videos around. It sucks that I don't have any friends that are as big of a petro-head as I am, none of them got even a semi-enthusiast car that I can obsess over. *sigh*

KharatosGTI said:
I feel the need to clear something up:

Just because I have some beef with the way the editor presented some misinformation and some bickering childish comments doesn't mean I like the Si any less as a car. Just didn't like the kind of rubbish the writer was banging on about.

my thoughts exactly... the truth is both cars are good (perhaps not made for the same crowd) but i just dont like the way the info was presented.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Slowride said:
I, for one, am glad that this was a test that was done with a 6 speed manual, sunroof, etc. The GTI has a higher price point for these options, and I don't see that as a problem for the tester to include this. That is just a fact, no matter which car you are "pulling for" in these tests. This is the only way that they could "comparably equip" these vehicles.

The point is at that price point the Si is not even near the ballpark when it comes to features.

I'm not "pulling" for anyone. Currently I drive a BMW. So, fair is fair, the Si is priced lower for a darn good reason, it simply has less "stuff". And, what it does have is of lower quality in terms of materials quality and features.

The Si looks and feels much more like an economy car that is made to be "sporty".
The new GTI look and feels like one class of car higher up to begin with.
This GTI/Golf/Jetta is a step up from the previous model.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
An enthusiast normally likes "less stuff". More stuff means more weight and more things to break.

My wife wants a vehicle with "more stuff".

She also wants me to paint the garage door and replace the gutters, but that is another issue.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
I happen to like my stuff. The car is still very quick, it turns very well, it generates almost .9g of lateral accelaration on summer tires, it stops in a shorter distance than the lighter SI, and the fuel economy is similar. I'm not a kid anymore (34) and I appreciate a quiet cabin, AC, nice seats, and high-quality materials.

Why is this even an issue though? The GTI was designed with more of an upscale feel. It pays for that with added weight and a higher sticker price. The review wasn't about which car had a nicer interior. The reviewer clearly (and admitted it) favored track performance over real-world performance. That's his perogative.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Slowride said:
An enthusiast normally likes "less stuff". More stuff means more weight and more things to break.

She also wants me to paint the garage door and replace the gutters, but that is another issue.

That's BS. Maybe you want less stuff. That's fine if you do, but you can't generalize for what an enthusiast wants in a car. That's just a cop out answer to why the Si doesn't have some of the things that come in the GTI at it's price.
The GTI costs more as it gives more things, many "enthusiasts" like those things.

If an enthusiast really wants "less stuff", then list the big and heavy audio equipment in the new Si as a negative. If you are talking about those enthusiasts who want to only drive a certain car on the track on the weekends, then any car can be stripped to it's bare essentials.
The Si is intented for the everyday street driving wannabe racer just like the GTI.
And on those cold mornings in the midwest the Si enthusiast is sitting in his SI in the same traffic as the GTI driver, except that GTI driver has the option of having a heated butt to soothe the start to his cold day. :biggrin:

BTW, if you want the benefit of experiencing the "stuff" and "options" that your wife came with, then you better get the paint and brushes out and clean up those gutters. :wink:

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:

That's a terrible argument, by that standard I guess the M3 must be a horrible enthusiast car right? I mean it comes with a whole bunch of luxury features.

I don't know why we are here arguing why which car is better because that's not the case, I like both cars. The sole reason I created this thread was because the editor of the comparison article carried a heavy personal bias that couldn't have been more obviously presented. Now if you can't tell that, then I have to say you must be blinded by your pride.

I WANT the Si to win against the GTI, but not because some schmuck never once thought that VW is on the same level playing field as Honda to begin with. Winning by an editor like that is a blatant insult to the Si badge because it makes it seem as if the Si needs this kind of heavy bias to win, but it doesn't.

Call me a fanb0i, call me a whinner, call me whatever. I'm NOT saying these things because I own a GTI, I asked myself that question already and I sat down and thought about it. If I'm just a big baby that couldn't stand the fact that Si won a comparison test then I'd cover my ears and go "blah blah blah, the Si is a POS and my GTI is teh s3x!" And then go on about my life ignoring anything further regarding this issue.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
GTT, I attempted to escape generalization by adding "normally" to my statement, but it may not have been successful.

I test drove a loaded 06 Accord Coupe before I bought my Si, and even though the Accord was faster, heavier and had all kinds of features, it felt like a pig when I dug into a corner on an exit ramp as compared to the Si.

Personally, I am having a difficult time transitioning myself into the heated seats and all that...I just don't think it is important when considering a car. That is just my point of view of course.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
I test drove a loaded 06 Accord Coupe before I bought my Si, and even though the Accord was faster, heavier and had all kinds of features, it felt like a pig when I dug into a corner on an exit ramp as compared to the Si.

I test drove an 06 Accord V6 6MT Coupe too, no nav. I agree it was pretty heavy, but then again the car made no intention to be sporty really. It was quiet and comfortable.

Last edited:

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Hondas will always be HONDAS. Thing is if it wasnt for the first little Rabbit, non of theses cars would be around. Chrysler hired carrol shelby to make their little car outrun the rabbit, the GLH was born. And it did outrun the rabbit, Honda's cars at the time might outrun a yugo. VW started speedy little cars in the US. As far as I am concerned they Ended the battle with the MKV. No other car in its class compairs to the overall appeal. Some might beat it at the track or at the strip. Most wont. But the ones that do , thats all they have. I drive mine everyday, I dont race at the track. But i would be more than happy to race any of you Loud exhaust think you go fast yuppys out there. Including any of you DSG fans who think because car and driver says the DSG is faster than the manual it is. Your dreaming !