GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electric Drive not working correctly Fault

robinl

Hello! Robin from Paris/France driving a December-2020 eHybrid with 1899 software.

I had yesterday the "Electric Drive Not Working Correctly” yellow fault.
It disappeared a few hours latter. Should I been woried?

@Massimo 2323 , dit it happened again on your car? Thanks

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Hi Robin. So with the diagnostic tool they checked the timestamp of the faults in the control units and found that at the same time I had that error I also had a couple of faults with the a/c compressor so they swapped the A/C compressor 5QE816803J with a newer version 5QE816803M. So far the error has not returned. 🤞

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Just to update i got the Electric Drive fault again and the compressor/sensor errors have appeared again in the aircon control unit..
Got VW assist to take it away and they are giving me a similar loaner…

robinl

Thanks for the update.
It did not showed again on my car. I have emailed the workshop about it but they never answered.

This time your car was completely out of order?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Massimo, am I correct in thinking this is your second Golf Mk8?
No same car, Golf 8 eHybrid My21.

Thanks for the update.
It did not showed again on my car. I have emailed the workshop about it but they never answered.

This time your car was completely out of order?
The car was working fine. These errors appeared when the Electric Drive message came up: U016B00 - Lost Communication With Electric A/C Compressor Control Module, B10AF31 - Air quality sensor no signal and B10BE31 - Fresh air blower, front - No signal
Also this appeared in the engine control module: P1BD600 - Electric A/C compressor - High-voltage disruption detection not possible.

Vale46

No same car, Golf 8 eHybrid My21.

The car was working fine. These errors appeared when the Electric Drive message came up: U016B00 - Lost Communication With Electric A/C Compressor Control Module, B10AF31 - Air quality sensor no signal and B10BE31 - Fresh air blower, front - No signal
Also this appeared in the engine control module: P1BD600 - Electric A/C compressor - High-voltage disruption detection not possible.
Hi Massimo,

I've been following the threads on forum for 2 years, but never asked a question as usually found the answers directly in the threads 😀. I had a a 2020 Golf 8 2.0 TDi for a year an half, got rid of it via trade-in, as I think I went to the dealership for various issues at least each and every month in my 18 months of owning it, and at some point even the dealership which were very supportive all the time, were without options as my car being an early batch received some weird and low number modules, for which software was not available, so for me I couldn't get the famous 1896 software, etc.

Anyway, got a good offer to trade in so I got myself a late 2021 GTE with 9000km on board (ex demo car).

I got the car almost for 2 months now. After couple of weeks of owning the car I got the prompt to update to 1896, currently I have 1803:

Device part number: 5H0035820D

Hardware: H56

Software: 1803

Display unit/control panel hardware: H46

Display unit/control panel software: 2092

Navigation database:23.6

Media Codec:10:2

Of course update failed midway and never came back. Took the car to dealership, they checked the main screen of MIB, saw no software updates, they said guess it will come back to you cause it's an OTA and we can't force it.

Today I also had my first error "Electric drive not working correctly. Please visit workshop." I stopped the car, got out, locked it, open it and start it again and the error was gone (luckily or unfortunately i learned several troubleshoots since i had my previous mk8).

I checked my VIN on the link you shared in another thread (the VW VIN checker), I see Service Campaign/Recall Number:
OUB8 S-Infotainment Over-the-Air update (package 1), OUB9 S-Infotainment Over-the-Air update (package 2), OUG1 S-OTA update OCU3.

My questions are please:

-- would the hybrid error be caught in the log, or by clearing itself after restart was more likely a software bug? Although when the error was on, the car drove by using only ICE engine and hybrid boost was not showing up when pressing hard on the throttle.
- are the 3 software recalls from above doable in a dealership or are they OTA and can't be forced manually by the dealership?

Many thank and sorry for the wall.of text 😅

Last edited:

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Hi Vale. So OUB8/OUB9 is the OTA software update 1896 which you will receive again if you have not downloaded it the first time.
OUG1 is also an OTA software update but for the SOS telematics Unit (OCU).
Now if you get a problem like infotainment stuck or an OTA error that appears then the dealership can manually update the software.
My car was in the workshop twice for this error which appeared twice. First time they changed the A/C Compressor. With the second visit they decided to change the voltage regulator. Keep you posted if this will fix the "Electric drive Error".

Last edited:

Vale46

Hi Vale. So OUB8/OUB9 is the OTA software update 1896 which you will receive again if you have not downloaded it the first time.
OUG1 is also an OTA software update but for the SOS telematics Unit (OCU).
Now if you get a problem like infotainment stuck or an OTA error that appears then the dealership can manually update the software.
My car was in the workshop twice for this error which appeared twice. First time they changed the A/C Compressor. With the second visit they decided to change the voltage regulator. Keep you posted if this will fix the "Electric drive Error".
Appreciate the information!
Unfortunately this morning at startup the car showed a.red warning with Error:cooling system. Please visit workshop.
Now waiting for AA to come pick the car and deliver it to VW. As far as I could see there's almost no coolan in the expansion tank for HV battery. I can barely see some wet spots underneath the tank and the tank was wet on outside like it lost it somewhere in the vecinity (a hose or the actual tank). Hopefully it's an easy fix and not related to the HV battery (as i read some horror stories about replacing the whole HV battery due to coolant sipping in the battery assembly).
It is now as well an opportunity to fix my software recalls, as I was in touch with carnconnect support and they found an issue with my car (due to which my OTA failed) and they shared their TPI with my VW preferred service partner (where the car will be transported anyway).
Good start for a friday 😆