GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT or UM?

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
I've had nothing but a great experience with EQT. Great customer service, awesome tunes (especially the DSG tune), great communication and transparency, and I admire the way Ed run's his business. No BS or drama, just pure professionalism. Ed even went out of his way to offer his time for free last year to finish my custom IS38 tune (this was before he hired extra help).
The only negative thing would be the wait times for certain things(Vortex XL), but that's because of the huge demand for their products.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
With the setup you're describing, flex fuel would be the deciding factor for me. Primarily since every pump differs in overall content. While many will, rightfully, argue that the tune can adequately compensate for variances in E content, peace of mind is worth something.

My question (entirely unrelated to this thread) is, I thought you were going the G25 based route? Did my memory fail me, or why the pivot?
So the G25 is a bad ass little turbo, but the shop that was going to handle the piping, lines, and figuring out the mounting of the oem WGA grew their volume by almost 90%. He's got GT3's and GTR's on the rack for big horsepower, very complicated builds. The TRX setup has 90% of what Rampage was going to do anyway, and it's already tested and set. The G25 adapter is for sale, so is the turbo. To be clear, the G25-660 would've been a rad little turbo on this platform, there are dudes running them in Europe on S3's and R's, but the TRX is going to be a simpler solution that has more power potential and a true twin scroll housing. It's a better all around solution I think. Also, if you're the DIY type, it's for sale with the adapter, dm me :D

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
i have no experience with UM but I would go EQT, who tuned my car. the EQT dsg tune is literally perfect and I am incredibly picky with my car stuff.

also with COBB you can sell the COBB AP later once you sell the car and get some money back too

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i have no experience with UM but I would go EQT, who tuned my car. the EQT dsg tune is literally perfect and I am incredibly picky with my car stuff.

also with COBB you can sell the COBB AP later once you sell the car and get some money back too
Absolutely agree with that. And for an example if you're driving on a highway and someone pulls along side you and wants to go and you're in Drive on the DSG just slam it into Sport mode and it chooses the perfect gear instantly. Faster than you could in manual mode.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Have had both, here's my long saga. EQT was a nightmare from a customer service perspective, after waiting months for a base map, bought their staged tune just to have something besides the cobb OTS maps. Had a vortex in the car by the time they started working on one. At one point Ed told me he's just really slow at street tuning because he's too busy with dyno tunes. Asked if I could switch to his other tuner and was turned down. I will say that EQT seems to emphasize smoothness, and between their staged tune and a couple revisions on a custom tune, it was stock-like.

Eventually I ran into some fueling problems and was fed up waiting for revisions. The car was near the Denver UM dealer at the time, they got me in within the week, diagnosed the issue and had a finished tune on the car (pump gas with a vortex). Went back home, wanted to get the car re-tuned for altitude and 93, so had to go to the dealer in Chicago. Ended up getting sent home on a low boost tune and told I needed to fix a fueling issue. Fastest solution was to order up an MPI kit and have it installed by a buddy of the UM dealer. (didn't want to drive on hardware I'm not tuned for), but due to covid logistics (nothing related to UM except distance) this took a few weeks to get tuned. Added flex fuel and the haldex tune during this, which are outstanding, unique UM features.

Upon picking up the car I let it warm up on the freeway, floor it, limp mode with an overboost code. Text the UM dealer (who's not a mechanic or anything, but he's been super helpful and responsive), insists they had no problems while logging and says Jeff thinks it might be the wastegate actuator. I get home, drop it off at my usual shop, they can't reproduce it and suggest it's a tuning problem. I get the car back and the issue does seem to be gone.

At this point it's getting cold here, summer tires are off and I'm not driving the car much, but the overboost came back. Unfortunately, to troubleshoot it more I'll need a day where the car is A) at the shop or with the UM dealer B) the roads are safe for WOT pulls and C) still overboosting.

Personally, I really like the UM tuning, if it weren't for covid I wouldn't mind the dealer trip at all. The constant back and forth on flex fuel with ecutek is very disappointing, to hear "it's not in the equation" is much worse than I was led to believe last year. Switchable maps are in no way a substitute.

UM has definitely proven themselves on big turbo setups and if you're only 60 miles away, well, I'm envious haha. You can limpmode a weird turbo and even fully wire in MPI before a tune but the brushless pump could be an issue. A 60 mile tow is a lot cheaper than labor if you're gonna diy all that though.

Last edited:

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I see on the EQT website COBB has an A3 listed, anyone know if a 17 TT with the GTI engine could use COBB? I remember reading awhile ago no TT solution.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I see on the EQT website COBB has an A3 listed, anyone know if a 17 TT with the GTI engine could use COBB? I remember reading awhile ago no TT solution.
Nope. Cobb is very picky about the cars it adds for support. For example...the Golf R and Audi S3 run the EXACT same tune / same box code, and it took them years to add support. This is further complicated by VW I think, since they have 10 million different box codes for their ECUs and TCUs.

What is your box code??

Ecutek supports multiple TT/TTS box codes. That may be your best route to get a custom tune thru EQT. I also happen to have an ecutek dongle with enough credits for ECU/TCU license if you're interested and end up going that route.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Nope. Cobb is very picky about the cars it adds for support. For example...the Golf R and Audi S3 run the EXACT same tune / same box code, and it took them years to add support. This is further complicated by VW I think, since they have 10 million different box codes for their ECUs and TCUs.

What is your box code??

Ecutek supports multiple TT/TTS box codes. That may be your best route to get a custom tune thru EQT. I also happen to have an ecutek dongle with enough credits for ECU/TCU license if you're interested and end up going that route.
I’ll research ecutek. I’m guessing you’d be selling the dongle? $?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I’ll research ecutek. I’m guessing you’d be selling the dongle? $?
yeah, Dongle + 400 flash points. ECU uses 225 points, TCU is 175. New that is $1000. But you still would need to pay for a tune. EQT does tuning for it. The pricing is similar to Cobb, but with Cobb he offers cheaper, generic "staged" tunes, but he has not made those available on Ecutek. 5150 may have a base tune of sorts for it though, not 100% sure. So yeah, it's a little pricier, but is probably the best option if not supported by cobb. Although I really do like the wireless / phone app display and logging feature though-- vs AP which hard a cord.

I was going to ask $800.

https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw...proecu-programming-kit?variant=31802785595482

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
yeah, Dongle + 400 flash points. ECU uses 225 points, TCU is 175. New that is $1000. But you still would need to pay for a tune. EQT does tuning for it. The pricing is similar to Cobb, but with Cobb he offers cheaper, generic "staged" tunes, but he has not made those available on Ecutek. 5150 may have a base tune of sorts for it though, not 100% sure. So yeah, it's a little pricier, but is probably the best option if not supported by cobb. Although I really do like the wireless / phone app display and logging feature though-- vs AP which hard a cord.

I was going to ask $800.

https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw...proecu-programming-kit?variant=31802785595482
Whats Ed charge for stage 1 ecu and tcu tune?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
IIRC custom ecu tune is about $500. TCU tcu is 175? A little more if you get a more complex tune like MPI, or multi fuel etc etc. It's all on his website.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
What's the $800 for?

I was going to ask $800.