GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
In for some logs and a DYI video. I may follow suit.
You not on a Tomioka any longer? Or just switching to the larger Tomioka housing?

It is super easy to switch the exhaust housings on these turbos. Barret from IE did an off-the-engine IS38 video. I just installed a new core in an IS38 myself. Was super straight forward.

https://youtu.be/HwTfZXGLhAk

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
You not on a Tomioka any longer? Or just switching to the larger Tomioka housing?

It is super easy to switch the exhaust housings on these turbos. Barret from IE did an off-the-engine IS38 video. I just installed a new core in an IS38 myself. Was super straight forward.

https://youtu.be/HwTfZXGLhAk

IHX475 and EQT Standard share the same is20 based housing so the XL should bolt right on to the IHX475 as it does to the EQT. Also the specs on the IHX600 and IHX475 are the same except for the bigger housing so I'm fairly positive the XL housing will work.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
But to contradict myself, I just talked to EDO performance who is one of the main suppliers of Tomioka turbos and they stated they tried recently in swapping the ihx600 housing to the ihx475 and it didn't work. Maybe the ihx600 and EQT XL housings are different? I'm at a loss.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Tomi did tell me the 600 had a different blade profile and a larger shaft. Though I asked and they said the housings weren’t interchangeable.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
But to contradict myself, I just talked to EDO performance who is one of the main suppliers of Tomioka turbos and they stated they tried recently in swapping the ihx600 housing to the ihx475 and it didn't work. Maybe the ihx600 and EQT XL housings are different? I'm at a loss.

I’d hate to buy it and it not fit. lol

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I’d hate to buy it and it not fit. lol

I was pretty confident before but not so sure now. LOL. EDO was the first to tell me it was a direct swap and I passed that information to Ed from EQT where he then tested out the larger housing and confirmed it to work. Maybe Ed can comment on what he thinks.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Was planning on getting an EQT XL. But if the housing does fit, I’ll get that first. Then decide what turbo once/if I build my motor. Wish a couple people actually ran and saw what the 675 could actually do maxed.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
So is it my understanding, that you have to have at the very minimum, an upgraded hpfp to run the vortex kit? Stock fueling doesn’t cut it?

You can run it around 26psi on stock fueling. But to take real advantage of the turbo, a hpfp is needed.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
BOOST WEATHER SALE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I am curious what we might see for fueling upgrade packages in line with the Boost Weather Sale.