GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I probably should have done that when doing MPI, was like 75% of the way there.
That's when I did mine. Had all the others done but that one, mpi install came and the last piece went in.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Saying some part only affects the engine performance if above X hp is like saying putting a cargo box on the top of your car only causes drag if you're above X mph. That's not how drag from airflow works, which is what these performance parts are affecting.

at certain airflow levels the restriction is minimal or effectively not material, and above that restrictions become increasingly more severe.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Yeah actually with airflow at a certain point the increase in resistance for the increase in flow becomes much greater. In git_fan's original example there absolutely is a speed where drag increases greatly. You can hear it in some cars as you go over 100mph (obviously the point this happens is different with every car)

The simplified equation in external flow (different for internal) is:
1602872785261.png

The non simplified model would take into account interactions between reference frames - namely the car and the ground and in the roof box example the car and the roofbox since they are separate bodies.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Yeah actually with airflow at a certain point the increase in resistance for the increase in flow becomes much greater. In git_fan's original example there absolutely is a speed where drag increases greatly. You can hear it in some cars as you go over 100mph (obviously the point this happens is different with every car)

View attachment 188962

The non simplified model would take into account interactions between reference frames - namely the car and the ground and in the roof box example the car and the roofbox since they are separate bodies.

Can you explain how this certain point is found using that formula?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
V^2, maybe go buy a graphing calculator or something :ROFLMAO:

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion

View attachment 188962

yeah aero drag is a trip, you could feel it in my last 1/2 mile car, at about 170mph car would just start to hit a wall. In the GTI at ~110mph can feel it really start to struggle with the aero

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
V^2, maybe go buy a graphing calculator or something :ROFLMAO:

That doesn't answer the question, what you're doing is called dodging.

The analogy was meant to illustrate a concept, that drag force is always present, and steadily increases, in a way that is more likely to be understood by people not as familiar with the subtleties of drag force.

For the charge pipe and horsepower correlation, because the power level increases as @billbadass was referring to them are more a function of the air density than velocity, the linear component of the formula you have shown is the primary factor producing the power gain, there is no sudden increase in charge pipe drag force "at some point" as bill's original statement suggested, with increasing power output. (Yes, if you rev the car out higher than with the stock setup there is an increase in the non-linear velocity component.)

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
External flow equations have no application in internal flow, so lets get that one out of the way.

I'll requote myself to draw attention: The non simplified model would take into account interactions between reference frames - namely the car and the ground and in the roof box example the car and the roofbox since they are separate bodies.

I'm not going to do an informal complex external flow analysis with shit variables and no real information, You are an engineer too so I'm sure you understand what I am saying although I am disappointed you would apply an external flow analogy to internal flow ;)

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
pressure_drop_in_pipe.PNG

Coefficient of drag is analogous to the pipe friction coefficient.
Length over diameter is analogous to frontal area.
Density is density.
Internal flow velocity is analogous with external flow velocity.

With the external flow equation you present for drag force there are some different variables, but it is similar to that for pressure drop in a pipe.

I won't bother with trying to explain the point of the simple analogy again since you are making it into something that was not intended.

The original point was that these parts with air flowing through them cause resistance anytime air is moving, and there is a smooth progression of that resistance, there isn't a specific power level above which these aftermarket parts become beneficial. Both equations illustrate this.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I posted this up on the EQT Facebook page but I know some don’t do Facebook. Another datapoint anyway and can see the impact the CO altitude has on the #s...

Today’s dyno #’s from Edge Autosport here in the Denver area. Dynomite AWD dyno which is not as common, but from what I understand from Alan at Edge, who is also local Cobb Protuner for this platform and others, it’s #’s are similar to what you would expect to see on a Dynojet. This seems to be correct based on a post I found on this forum where someone ran same car/same mods on Dynocom (same dyno EQT uses) and Dynomite and the Dynomite #’s were ~9% lower.
SAE Corrected(477whp),Std Corrected(499whp), and Uncorrected(414whp) #s attached.
I wanted to be at over 400 uncorrected for our high altitude (~5,400ft at Edge) and we hit that # nicely.
’16 R – DSG
Vortex Std/NO MPI/PM4/Pagparts 535 LPFP/HPFP/4 bar PUT/FBO
E30 (Nick @ EQT tuned)

EQT Vortex E30 SAE.PNG

EQT Vortex E30 STD.PNG

EQT Vortex E30 UC.PNG

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I posted this up on the EQT Facebook page but I know some don’t do Facebook. Another datapoint anyway and can see the impact the CO altitude has on the #s...

Today’s dyno #’s from Edge Autosport here in the Denver area. Dynomite AWD dyno which is not as common, but from what I understand from Alan at Edge, who is also local Cobb Protuner for this platform and others, it’s #’s are similar to what you would expect to see on a Dynojet. This seems to be correct based on a post I found on this forum where someone ran same car/same mods on Dynocom (same dyno EQT uses) and Dynomite and the Dynomite #’s were ~9% lower.
SAE Corrected(477whp),Std Corrected(499whp), and Uncorrected(414whp) #s attached.
I wanted to be at over 400 uncorrected for our high altitude (~5,400ft at Edge) and we hit that # nicely.
’16 R – DSG
Vortex Std/NO MPI/PM4/Pagparts 535 LPFP/HPFP/4 bar PUT/FBO
E30

View attachment 193426View attachment 193427View attachment 193428
Nice.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Alright guys.... we have destroyed all previous sales records so far, so thank you all for the support!

We are now down to the FINAL WEEK of the Boost Weather Sale. The final day of the sale is November 30th. Don't miss out!

Thanks
-- Ed