GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Error Messages When Starting Vehicle

MrGolf112

Hi

When starting up my car sometimes every error message under the sun pops up bogging away on the dash and then leaves a little yellow warning exclamation mark on at the side of the dashboard.

It's really annoying sometimes will start up fine no errors but most of the time it will be just binging away at me first thing in the morning.

Does anyone know of an update which will fix this?

keith1200rs

Passed Driver's Ed
Low battery? Vehicles with lots of electronics seem to throw up lots of spurious errors if the battery is low when they start.

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
I agree with Keith (post #2), first thing you should look at is the state of your battery charge.

Let us know what the error messages are (the car spells them out very clearly). Without knowing what the messages are, there's not much we can do to help.

Michael

MrGolf112

I have managed to get screenshots of the errors which appear when I start the car.

I will get the battery looked at thanks for the advice wasn't sure if was software related due to the relentless issues with software problems on the MK8.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114-201648.png
    Screenshot_20240114-201648.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20240114-201620.png
    Screenshot_20240114-201620.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 98

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah. It looks like the battery is low. I have a dashcam installed that works when parked too and everyday when it's cold I get all kind of warnings when I start the car.

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Witho
Hi

When starting up my car sometimes every error message under the sun pops up bogging away on the dash and then leaves a little yellow warning exclamation mark on at the side of the dashboard.

It's really annoying sometimes will start up fine no errors but most of the time it will be just binging away at me first thing in the morning.

Does anyone know of an update which will fix this?
Without repeating all the errors I experienced during the first year (2021) those errors you describe were among them. The 1896 software update in 2022 resulted in the only period of carefree driving I experienced, then came along the 1899 and 1941 updates which seemed to undo some of the fixes the 189
IMG_20210728_122447_503.jpg
IMG_20210728_122449_990.jpg
IMG_20210728_122649_518.jpg
IMG_20210728_122723_437.jpg
6 solved. Then I had failing front parking sensor, oil level indicator and currently waiting to get the failed front parking sensors repaired and a replacement steering wheel.
BTW during the first year dealer replaced the battery which did nothing to solve the numerous errors.

MrGolf112

These are the exactly the same errors which pop up but not on every start.

I will still get the battery checked just in case but looks like it's software related can't say I am surprised.

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
I'm pretty sure that your error messages are caused by low battery charge, in other words, the voltage on the main battery dropping below approximately 12.2 or 12.1 volts overnight. The evidence that supports this hypothesis is that you have the problems first thing in the morning.

Do you have anything plugged into the convenience outlets (12 volt outlets) or wired into the car that might be creating a parasitic draw on the battery when the car is parked overnight? Examples could include a dashcam that has been wired to terminal 30 (battery) power rather than terminal 15 (ignition switched) power, or perhaps a phone charger that is plugged into a convenience outlet? Sometimes those chargers can draw power even if they are not connected to a phone or other load.

Automobile batteries usually last about 5 to 7 years. If your car is a Golf 8, the original battery should not be at end of life yet, but it is not unheard of for a battery to fail. I had the battery on my Golf 7 replaced (under warranty) when the car was only 3 years old. I don't know how warranties work in your country, but often the battery and the tires are covered by separate warranties provided by their manufacturer.

I suggest you approach troubleshooting this way:
  1. Do a really careful inspection to make sure nothing is plugged into the convenience or USB outlets overnight, and to confirm that no aftermarket accessories have been installed that draw terminal 30 (battery) power.

2. Take the car to your VW dealer and ask them to check the battery. They will have a special tool (a Midtronics battery analyzer) that when connected runs a series of tests on the battery and prints out a report (pass/fail). It provides an objective, not subjective, assessment of the battery.

3. Have your dealer (or perhaps a friend who has a VCDS or OBDeleven scan tool run a complete scan on the car. IF you see a lot of faults that contain the word 'communication' or 'databus', that suggests (but does not prove) a low voltage condition is the cause. If you see any faults that contain the words 'low voltage', that proves that low battery voltage is the cause of your problems.
Here's a link to a video that explains how to check for parasitic current draw. Depending on your level of interest and your technical ability, you might want to consider carrying out this test yourself to determine if there is something that is running your battery down overnight. The Best Way To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test

Michael

Last edited:

MrGolf112

Thanks so much no I have nothing plugged into the ports.

I will get the battery tested to see if it's working as it should the car is only 3 years old so it should be replaced under warranty if that's the cause.

Cheers