GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ethanol blend fuel

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
In Australia, there has been an ongoing argument about the pros and cons of using ethanol blend fuel i.e. fuel with 5 or 10 percent ethanol added.

What is the situation in other countries?

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
whats ethanol do to the fuel?

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
In the USA, Ethanol is being used to replace MTBE, which has been found to be almost as bad as lead once it gets into the Ground water system. At this low a percentage, 5-10% it causes no harm. One of the chief benefits to Ethanol is that it is very clean burning and does not have the bad by-products of full gasoline. It is also a re-new able resource of fuel and most countries could produce it. New York State is now just starting to allow Ethanol plants with the first one going in about 60 miles down the road from me. All I can say is that it's about time!

Chris

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Petrol with up to ten percent ethanol (E10) is sold in some parts of Australia, mainly in Queensland. As ethanol is made from renewable resources, for example wheat and sugar cane, it can reduce the amount of greenhouse gases emitted from vehicles. However this depends on how the ethanol is made and the content of ethanol in the fuel. At ten percent, there is unlikely to be any greenhouse benefits. Ethanol can potentially reduce the amount of some air pollutants but increases others.

I understand the maximum blend in Europe is five percent ethanol (E5).

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
It's a good temporary fix. And that's about all.