GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Everything you should know about a manual 6 speed swap

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I am interested to see how this goes. Always wanted to do that swap when I had the 5 speed as the 6 speed was such a good transmission.

I am assuming grinding the case is still necessary as nothing has changed on the motor or trans since that writeup was done.
This video and this Diesel Geek video maybe solves the cause of the shifting problems, BUT I found a 2011 6 Speed wid low milage for $300 (thanks to failed 2.0 TSI motors).

The swap is up in the air right now, need to get off my A$$ and work on the car or source the other parts cheap, including the DieselGeek shifter coz suposedly the stock linkage is a really close fit.

On another note: We are thinking of taking off the UM/HEP Short RAM Intake Manifold while we are in there and putting back on the Stock IM. I'm doing some charity work modifying an IM for a Chump Car Team as well so that helps wid that.

EDIT: Lost out on the low (56k miles) milage 02Q transmission, there are quite a few around but they have a lot of milage :cautious:.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I am interested to see how this goes. Always wanted to do that swap when I had the 5 speed as the 6 speed was such a good transmission.

I am assuming grinding the case is still necessary as nothing has changed on the motor or trans since that writeup was done.
Chris, based on this article, you had the 02Q in your Golf TDI

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Found a couple of videos that lends some more clarity to the 6 Speed 02Q transmission swap

VW 02A Transmission Removal

This video shows where to trim the 02Q Transmission Bell Housing

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm pricing the swap out, the biggest cost is new Clutch Kit and FSI Flywheel, the cheapest kit containing all the clutch bits is very very expensive if you go the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) route. If you go the Single Mass Flywheel (SMF) route, the price is a lot better, this ESC Tuning SMF is the cheapest Single Mass Flywheel (SMF) i found so far, anyone know of a cheaper one please chime in ASAP, the car is not turbo so the Stock or Stage1 Clutch should be fine, as the over all torque is less than that of a stock GTI.

This ESC Tuning OEM Short Shifter Kit seems like an economically path as well, good to have options as this i$ adding up pretty fast.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I ordered the SMF Clutch Kit from ECS Tuning as well as the OEM Short Shifter Kit, $800 shipped.

PS. If I found the SMF Clutch kit in Canada I woulda bought it, but only DMF Kits with 6 bolt Flywheels were available. FYI the DMF by itself is about $1000CAD so basically I'm buying the entire SMF Clutch Kit from ECS Tuning for the cost of just a Dual Mass Flywheel in Canada; .... and NO I don't buy "used" Clutch components.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Was in Cranford NJ visting my Daughter for the weekend; I had the Clutch Kit shipped there to my Son-in-Law, so saved a bit on the SMF Clutch kit and another 13% on Canaidian Duty/Tax bringing the parts back wid me.

I lost out on the low milage 02Q albeit at a premium price but still talking to a few recyclers. Canadian prices on "used" 02Q for @$250, Starter for @$40, L and R axles for @$65 each. They seem to take the engines and Transmissions from the cars and not mind with the others stuff I need so I may have to hit up a Pic-n-Save and scrounge for the Clutch Bleeder Block and line, 3 bolt Transmission Mount and the 6 Speed Shift Cable Bracket myself.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Yesterday, I picked up a 02Q from a 2012 GTI with 83k miles or 133k km and L & R axles from the dismantler but someone beat me to the Starter. Whoever removed the Transmission cut the clutch line wid a side cutter so I wound up getting the Clutch Bleeder Block included, bonus!

So still looking for the clutch line, 6 Speed Starter, 3 bolt Transmission mount, a 6 Speed Shifter Cable Bracket and extra bolts for the axles and one for the Transmission mount. Yes some are supposed to be TTY one time use but unless its on the engine, I will reuse bolts, just dont go wild wid torquing.

PS. I could use the old two bolt Transmission mount but a used 3 bolt mount in good condition would be cheap and propper. I'm planning on hitting up the Pic-n-Save in Stoney Creek, they got a bunch of VWs wid 6 speeds, I could a prolly gotten a transmission from there at a third of the price but I'm not desperate enough to try removing a transmission wid no history in a junk yard.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Don't have engine support bar, so used this video to remove the 5Speed transmission from the Golf. 5Speed only weighs 85-90 lbs so if you do push-ups or can bench your own body weight it's a bit combersome but manageable.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Went to Pic-n-Sav in Stoney Creek yesterday and was lucky to find and pull all the outstanding parts I needed coz they have mostly automatic VWs, and only 3 cars that had 6 Speed transmission at some point. $56 well spent for Starter, Transmission Mount, 6 Speed Shift Cable Bracket and most of all the line between the Clutch Master to the Bleeder Block (the Dismantlers seem to cut these lines coz they don't have a pick to pull the wire clip). I forgot to grab a 6 Speed Shift Knob tho

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds line things are coming along.
Yup but I'm slower than most tho coz I have good and bad eye days, as well everything delayed a few days i ordered a Vacuum Pump Reseal Kit from RKX Tech to to fix the Vacuum Pump oil leak. I coulda as easily install a vacuum pump delete kit in place but as you know im not of that mind set.

PS. My biggest concern was that of the Rear Main Seal (RMS) which has held up well and shows no sign of leakage, as we rev to 7500 RPM a lot with the Stage2 Short Ram Intake

Last edited: