GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extreme Performance and Competition Tires

AZmk6GTI

Sonny, has anyone reviewed the Potenza RE 71 Rs yet? Just wonder how they compare to the RE11s since that's what I currently have on the car and need to get new tires in a couple of weeks.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Sonny, has anyone reviewed the Potenza RE 71 Rs yet? Just wonder how they compare to the RE11s since that's what I currently have on the car and need to get new tires in a couple of weeks.

Yes. Very sticky, very fast. Noticeably better longitudinal grip and great cornering grip. Drives more like Dunlop ZIIs than BFG Rival in that they require more precise driving style.

They do wear noticeably faster than any other "200 TW" tire I've used so far(I've had RE-11A and Rival for the last 2 years).

I've had so far 3 autoXs on them.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com

I typed out a response to this earlier, but must not have posted it. Louder than the RE11, but better grip. I have only tested in the wet so far and it was very good, but my assumption is that it is fantastic in the dry. It was funny, I think it was the third tire I tested the other day, and after the first cone in the slalom, I had a huge smile on my face.

AZmk6GTI

I typed out a response to this earlier, but must not have posted it. Louder than the RE11, but better grip. I have only tested in the wet so far and it was very good, but my assumption is that it is fantastic in the dry. It was funny, I think it was the third tire I tested the other day, and after the first cone in the slalom, I had a huge smile on my face.

Haha awesome I'll give them a shot next week and see how they are.

Nodnarb

Passed Driver's Ed
Drag tires

1st time on a forum ever! Please be gentle. Has anyone experimented with different size tires and rims for drag racing. I see most of the tuner shops use 225 45 17 Hoosier drag radials on enkei rpf1 wheels. I'm wondering if anyone has tried 16" wheels and/or squeezed 15's on their mk6. Also if they've been able to go to a shorter or taller, or wider tire. Drag radials are proving extremely hard to get in Canada and I'm looking for options. Thanks

thegave

Ready to race!
So are the RE-11's going to be discontinued? I'm curious why they're not included in the test as a more compromising extreme summer performance tire.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
So are the RE-11's going to be discontinued? I'm curious why they're not included in the test as a more compromising extreme summer performance tire.

Tire Rack tests the newest of the breed and usually includes a representative of the previous gen. In this case RS-3 V2. Thus giving you some kind of comparable bar to measure against...

I am curious though. IIRC RE-11 used to be a 140TW(?) tire 2 years ago, when RE-11A were around. The A being the 200TW and newer version.

Now RE-11A looks to be mostly gone(I think 2 sizes now?), and now RE-11 are 200TW. Did Bridgestone just pulled a switcharoo and changed the RE-11As to RE-11?

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
i thought they were selling both? Some sizes got the "A" treatment while some others didnt from what I remembered...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
There are currently just 2 sizes of RE-11A listed on TR, 205/55/16 and 245/40/18. Both are closeout...

Bridgestone's own site does not list RE-11A anymore. Just RE-11

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Tire Rack tests the newest of the breed and usually includes a representative of the previous gen. In this case RS-3 V2. Thus giving you some kind of comparable bar to measure against...

I am curious though. IIRC RE-11 used to be a 140TW(?) tire 2 years ago, when RE-11A were around. The A being the 200TW and newer version.

Now RE-11A looks to be mostly gone(I think 2 sizes now?), and now RE-11 are 200TW. Did Bridgestone just pulled a switcharoo and changed the RE-11As to RE-11?

I am not privy to everything but I believe they "retested" the RE11 and re-branded with different treadwear. I am not positive that this is the case, but I think that is what happened.

Nodnarb

Passed Driver's Ed
16s will fit, 15s won't clear the brake.

I found that the serious racers use rabbit caliper brackets and rotors, then they can fit 15" wheels which there is way more of a selection of tires.

Still haven't determined how wide I can go on h&r supersports. Probably only stock or maybe 235.