GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FBO Mk7 MQB?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
ehh for us IS12 (GSW/AT) guys... FBO really must mean is20 or is38 with supporting mods. I would never call an IS12 car FBO
FBO stands for full bolt ons. An IS12 upgraded to an IS20 or IS38 with supporting mods to be FBO would depend upon what supporting mods you mean. Exhaust, DP, IC and at least a drop in air filter would probably qualify. Obviously there's lots of other supporting mods though. An IS12 could be FBO with the bolt on parts I listed.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Full bolt-ons can look good, as long as they don't look bolted-on.
Don't cheap out on your girl's plastic surgeon. Better yet, find one whose last boyfriend didn't.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
FBO stands for full bolt ons. An IS12 upgraded to an IS20 or IS38 with supporting mods to be FBO would depend upon what supporting mods you mean. Exhaust, DP, IC and at least a drop in air filter would probably qualify. Obviously there's lots of other supporting mods though. An IS12 could be FBO with the bolt on parts I listed.
I will never call an IS12 car FBO, but I understand your point. IMO you can't call an IS12 GSW/AT FBO until you upgrade to a larger OEM turbo (with supporting mods)

Tons of gray area here... but I just can't see myself being like 'yeah bro my GSW is FBO' with some small dick IS12 on it. LOL

merrilltom

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI
So lately I have heard the term FBO thrown around a lot on various platforms, not just this one. My question is what do you consider to be full bolt on for our platform? Is there a cut and dry list for what parts you need to be considered full bolt ons? I think FBO means intake, exhaust, intercooler, and (maybe) HPFP. Would you consider motor/trans mounts as part of this list? Technically an IS38 or a hybrid would be considered a “bolt-on” part but that doesn’t usually come to mind when someone says FBO on this platform. Just thinking out loud here. What do you guys think makes one of our cars “FBO”?
So lately I have heard the term FBO thrown around a lot on various platforms, not just this one. My question is what do you consider to be full bolt on for our platform? Is there a cut and dry list for what parts you need to be considered full bolt ons? I think FBO means intake, exhaust, intercooler, and (maybe) HPFP. Would you consider motor/trans mounts as part of this list? Technically an IS38 or a hybrid would be considered a “bolt-on” part but that doesn’t usually come to mind when someone says FBO on this platform. Just thinking out loud here. What do you guys think makes one of our cars “FBO”?
I tell people that mine is full bolt on. I have an IE catted downpipe, Neuspeed fmic, Neuspeed CAI, EQT stage 2 tune and APR DSG tune. Is that close enough to say full bolt on? Didn't see the need for a TIP or charge pipes.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'd say I'm FCO... Replaced every trim piece in the car. And no one that hasn't replaced their headliner can join my Full Clip-On club.

Last edited:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Ok I'll play:
2017 GTI 6speed FBO
My list: (of just performance stuff)

IS38 Turbo from a S3
Unitronic DP
AWE track exhaust
Mishimoto IC
Mishimoto charge pipes
ACT Stage 2 clutch
ACT SMF
CTS Turbo inlet elbow
Cobb intake system
ECS bleeder block
Ruthenium spark plugs (stock coils)
BC Coilovers
Porsche Macan swap
Hawk pads
Stoptech Rotors
Rays 57FXZ wheels

**tuned by Diggs on OS**

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Why is a is38 swapped gti considered FBO but a "turbo x" car not?

Is it because the is38 came on this engine in another version? The work of a turbo swap still needed to be done.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Why is a is38 swapped gti considered FBO but a "turbo x" car not?

Is it because the is38 came on this engine in another version? The work of a turbo swap still needed to be done.

Normally people refer to their mods just by the turbo on the car, because having the normal supporting mods is a prerequisite for that.

My Mk7 GTI is simply “is38”.

The majority of my customers have “EQT Vortex”. The IC, DP, intake, ect is implied