GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FCP Euro -- Returning Fluids

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Using tigeos consumable number up top..

Getting nearly 50% back on your oil changes is worth the hassle to some when you're spending almost 100 dollars.
Yep - but to be fair, I can go to Walmart and buy Mobil 1 0W40 for $24/5 qt jug ($22 on sale once in a while), get a $10 rebate, pick up a Napa Gold filter for another $10, and I'm probably in the ballpark in the end with less hassle....LM isn't really anything special....same approval = same thing in reality. The key to me is using Paypal to get a refund for the return shipping...without it, it's not worth it really for the oil changes.

Last edited:

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Yep - but to be fair, I can go to Walmart and buy Mobil 1 0W40 for $24/5 qt jug ($22 on sale once in a while), get a $10 rebate, pick up a Napa Gold filter for another $10, and I'm probably in the ballpark in the end with less hassle....LM isn't really anything special....same approval = same thing in reality. The key to me is using Paypal to get a refund for the return shipping...without it, it's not worth it really for the oil changes.

Unfortunately, at least as of now, no where around here sells the Mobil 1 with the 508 spec, and albeit very few, i have seen a few reports running other oils has lead to some weird issues (More specifically with a heavier weight on the newer 2019+ Cars) so Id just rather not take a chance.

I'm with you, if I could get it locally for about the same price with the rebate, I would go that route typically. I'm not an oil Nazi. Most of the top tiered brands and the intervals i'm changing at don't matter much in their differences especially on a street driven car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Unfortunately, at least as of now, no where around here sells the Mobil 1 with the 508 spec, and albeit very few, i have seen a few reports running other oils has lead to some weird issues (More specifically with a heavier weight on the newer 2019+ Cars) so Id just rather not take a chance.

I'm with you, if I could get it locally for about the same price with the rebate, I would go that route typically. I'm not an oil Nazi. Most of the top tiered brands and the intervals i'm changing at don't matter much in their differences especially on a street driven car.
Yeah for the 508 0W20, it's slim pickin's. You are basically going LM, M1, or dealer (which is made my Mobil). If you have a Walmart, you can always order it online with ship to store.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
If you bought a set from them before, you can return them after using them for a refund.
Not without purchasing a new set of the same plugs - that's the trick here. You can substitute - so say buy some NGK RS7s but they will be cheaper and I believe you will only get credit for the RS7 cost vs. the more expensive race plugs.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Nah...M1 has a long history of shearing/viscosity loss in hot climates. I personally will never use another M1 product. Liking the LM so far, would have wanted to use T6 but it seems they changed the formula a few years back and not VW spec.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nah...M1 has a long history of shearing/viscosity loss in hot climates. I personally will never use another M1 product. Liking the LM so far, would have wanted to use T6 but it seems they changed the formula a few years back and not VW spec.
M1 makes excellent oils used by so many manufacturers and race teams. Do you have a dataset to base the viscosity shearing comment on? I've used it twice in my wagon, 1x with their newer FSx2 5W40 and 1x with their popular FS 0W40. My data w/r to visocity shearing are inconclusive b/c only I only have 2 data points but the 5W40 dropped ~13% which fits right in the many LM 5W40 (both Molygen and Leichtlauf) data points I have that average the same 13%. The 0W dropped a bit more but again, single data point so would need more to determine what is going on. I suspsect it's more fuel dilution vs. true shearing but would need to use a different lab vs. Blackstone that doesn't analyze for fuel directly.

Last edited:

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
It’s been a while since we had a good oil discussion. 😂

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just curious, does FCP refund you on return of the returned oil? Like, the 2nd time around and so on?
Yes - you buy oil kit #1. So now you have spent ~$60. You use oil kit #1. You order oil kit #2. Now you are down $120. You drain out oil kit #1 and replace it with oil kit #2. You return oil kit #1 (what you replaced). You get a refund for $60 (if you follow their instructions to a "T"). Total spent for 2 oil changes = $60 (and possibly return shipping). And so it goes. You always spend the intial cost of whatever it is.

Last edited:

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Yes first hand experience in my FSI engine MKV also ran M1 at first. WRX and buddies STI we tried it too. Non DI EJ motors in both. So fuel dilution was minimal there. So long ago I haven't tried it again. Was so overpriced back then but seems to have come down significantly.

Can account for the dilution in the FSI, good point. I am sure the race teams deal with the same issue. Less about MPG though and more about maintaining viscosity so I doubt 0W is used. Are you concerned about what you are seeing in the 0W?

It’s been a while since we had a good oil discussion. 😂
You wanna be in?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yes first hand experience in my FSI engine MKV also ran M1 at first. WRX and buddies STI we tried it too. Non DI EJ motors in both. So fuel dilution was minimal there. So long ago I haven't tried it again. Was so overpriced back then but seems to have come down significantly.

Can account for the dilution in the FSI, good point. I am sure the race teams deal with the same issue. Less about MPG though and more about maintaining viscosity so I doubt 0W is used. Are you concerned about what you are seeing in the 0W?

You wanna be in?
I used the 0W40 one time so just can't make an educated comment without more data. I've also had a LM oil change that almost gained viscosity which is pretty tough to do (unless it's heavily oxidized) - likely just variation in the analsysis by Blackstone OR just not having good baseline VOA numbers. I don't believe the 0W40 dropped by anymore of a % as the other oils I've tried. I like the LM Molygen at the moment and is what I'm using but M1 is a v. high quality product and has more group IV "real synthetic" base stock to get that 0 to 40 spread than the 5W40 oils which are almost entirely group 3 hydrocracked (not that it makes fuck all of a difference in our cars IMHO). Folks really get hung on the 0W but a 0W and 5W oil are for all intents/purposes the same at normal temperatures (not sub-zero) - they are both 40W oils.

Here we see a Porcshe factory race car using 0W40:

Porsche's own factory race team apparently uses M1 0w-40 FS | Bob Is The Oil Guy

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Not without purchasing a new set of the same plugs - that's the trick here. You can substitute - so say buy some NGK RS7s but they will be cheaper and I believe you will only get credit for the RS7 cost vs. the more expensive race plugs.

No. They have been out of ngk racing plugs, and therefore cannot fulfill the warranty promise if i send back my used ones i bought from them. They will refund me once they receive the used ones. I've coordinated the arrangements with their customer service.