GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender subwoofer mods

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Im in it to win it.
Once all this jb weld dries this puppy should be navy sealed and ready for the memphis sub.
20220126_123444.jpg
20220126_123451.jpg

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Well just found out the hard way that the r doesnt have as deep a floor as the gti. As such, my trunk floor hits the sub! Bummer. That means i either gotta swap for a stock sub or come up with some other solution...

Either way, sounds kickass!
20220126_155753.jpg
20220126_155808.jpg

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
You can raise the trunk floor with a sheet of plywood with a cutout for the woofer. To save weight, as long as you don't put heavy objects in your hatch, rigid foam fiberglass may work as well. Just make sure either is tall enough to prevent the cone/surround from hitting the floor(brraaaaap)! You may be able to get away with .75".

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
did you stack 2 spacers ontop of where the oem sub mounted?, whats with ALL the goop,? i know its sealed for leaks, but possibly some silicone caulking could have been applied, idk not sure i can get the totality of the install from the pics.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Well just found out the hard way that the r doesnt have as deep a floor as the gti. As such, my trunk floor hits the sub! Bummer. That means i either gotta swap for a stock sub or come up with some other solution...

Either way, sounds kickass!
View attachment 237036View attachment 237037
Yeah, it's shallow due to the AWD. Does the R have two positions for the sub floor, or is that raised all the way up it's hitting? Already pulled the spare tire? Assuming the fender fits with both, I know that only works on the wagons with the Helix, it pokes about an inch in the GTI if you keep both.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
You can raise the trunk floor with a sheet of plywood with a cutout for the woofer. To save weight, as long as you don't put heavy objects in your hatch, rigid foam fiberglass may work as well. Just make sure either is tall enough to prevent the cone/surround from hitting the floor(brraaaaap)! You may be able to get away with .75".
Good idea - that hit me later last night as an option, probably gonna go that route. thanks!
did you stack 2 spacers ontop of where the oem sub mounted?, whats with ALL the goop,? i know its sealed for leaks, but possibly some silicone caulking could have been applied, idk not sure i can get the totality of the install from the pics.
Yep, in my case that was how to get the sub to fit.

As a result of stacking plastic spacers, there was definitely a big chance for air leaks, so i just sent it with plastic jb-weld all over everything; the other takeaway was, i cut into the enclosure instead of trimming down the spacers; doing so introduced holes in the actual enclosure, so i sealed those up with the jb weld as well.

Then, the speaker itself, even with its big rubber gasket, was leaking air upon testing, so i just jb-welded THAT to the spacers, then ran extra all over everything. Sprayed over most of it with 'flexseal' for good measure. I figured, fuck it, i'm not going to car shows with this, its just gonne be under my trunk floor' lol
Yeah, it's shallow due to the AWD. Does the R have two positions for the sub floor, or is that raised all the way up it's hitting? Already pulled the spare tire? Assuming the fender fits with both, I know that only works on the wagons with the Helix, it pokes about an inch in the GTI if you keep both.
yep, the sub is all the way against the trunk floor; the false floor only has one level in the R. so, just gonna raise it.

shanelench8

Car(s)
1991 GTI, 2016 GTI
So I have a sub installed off the factory sub lines(fender) -> LC2i line out converter -> Amp -> sub. Thought I would change around the low note frequency with OBD11 as mentioned here to either get lower frequencies to my sub, or change the crossover for the stock speakers to not have lows.

I moved the low note frequency to 20hz, played music and low test tones and noticed no difference. (with sub off as well to check speakers)
I moved the low note frequency to 300hz, played music and test tones and noticed no difference. (with sub off as well to check speakers)

Tried restarting head-unit and the car as well.
If this was to change the crossover frequency for the speakers, at 300hz I should have noticed a significant difference.

This was under multi media control unit -> adaptations -> Check Tone Frequency -> Low Note Frequency.
Am I looking in the wrong place? or does this actually not change anything?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
So I have a sub installed off the factory sub lines(fender) -> LC2i line out converter -> Amp -> sub. Thought I would change around the low note frequency with OBD11 as mentioned here to either get lower frequencies to my sub, or change the crossover for the stock speakers to not have lows.

I moved the low note frequency to 20hz, played music and low test tones and noticed no difference. (with sub off as well to check speakers)
I moved the low note frequency to 300hz, played music and test tones and noticed no difference. (with sub off as well to check speakers)

Tried restarting head-unit and the car as well.
If this was to change the crossover frequency for the speakers, at 300hz I should have noticed a significant difference.

This was under multi media control unit -> adaptations -> Check Tone Frequency -> Low Note Frequency.
Am I looking in the wrong place? or does this actually not change anything?
I think it is a setting for the door speakers, not the sub output.

If you can hear 20hz at the sub I think you are gtg.

shanelench8

Car(s)
1991 GTI, 2016 GTI
I think it is a setting for the door speakers, not the sub output.

If you can hear 20hz at the sub I think you are gtg.
Yea, I hear no change in the door speakers or sub when I set these settings

And yea I wish I was getting 20hz at the sub lol