GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally starting to work out again

long story short, i was in great shape, went to college, all went down hill, over 3 years gained 50lbs, absurdly bad!! now im starting to work out again but ive never had to lose weight, i want to lose 50lbs in 6 months... possible? anyone got any suggestions, ive started looking through bodybuilding.com, i got a workout routine and a diet, and i bought a $1,500 home gym system coming on thursday

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
your gonna have to do a lot of cardio now to loose the weight. treadmill / bike etc.

I started playing basketball with a bunch of my buddies and it really builds a nice sweat & helps you keep your mind off the fact that your actually working out.

your gonna have to do a lot of cardio now to loose the weight. treadmill / bike etc.

I started playing basketball with a bunch of my buddies and it really builds a nice sweat & helps you keep your mind off the fact that your actually working out.

i have a brand new elliptical im gonna do it for an hour every morning and then weight routine every night

Meat

rack rack 'em
I have had to cut some good amounts of weight for wrestling. I've had to loose 20 or so pounds in a month and a half and had to loose 10 or so in a day or two. What I have found works best is running stairs. Find a nice set of uncongested stairs and go at it. We would run up and down 3 flights of stairs in this one stairwell for a half hour to fourty five minutes a day before practice. It's great cardio and helps you work your legs better than running. IMO a stair machine just can't compare to doing it for real.

Of course you'll need to do a bit more than running stairs if you want to loose 50 lbs in 6 months. Do the usual: good diet, daily exercise regiment, etc.

ChiliFrei64

Pappa Smurf
I have been eating healthier for the last 2 years but 4 months ago they had a "Biggest loser" competition at my work and I dropped 15 lbs in 1 month to take the win for the competition. I went from 186 to 171. ... 1 month.. no supplements.. don't believe in them(not that they dont work.. but I dont like to feel like I am on speed). The strategy.. elliptical for 1 hour a day and high repetition workouts. I am talking like curls, press rows, etc.. 40% of max lift, 5 sets of 15. that will help you build lean muscle mass and burn the fat in those areas. Lean muscle mas keeps your metabolism running. Also do situps until you throw up(not really but you know what I mean.)

After about 2 and a half weeks, the elliptical just wasnt cutting it.. I took 5lbs weights and strapped them to my legs and wrists and started doing 5 min intervals of jogging and inclined walking.. I found that to work real well.

The key to all of it though is diet. If you dont stick to your diet, you wont make it. Cut our ALL pop and other high sugar foods. remove all fried foods and dont eat after dinner. I even went as far as didnt have alcohol or high fructose corn syrup products. its amazing what you'll lose in just 2 weeks by your body cleaning all that crap out of your system.

Stairs(like meat said) is another excellent idea.. I didnt do that this last time around but that was my fav workout in high school. you would sweat like crazy.. get one hell of a workout and a crazy burn.. at, for me atleast, it wasnt all that hard. easy way to get a solid burn

I am no nutritionist.. just an average guy.. so take my advice for what its worth.. but a good rule of thumb.. If you have to stop and think "hrmm.. should I eat this or will i regret it".. prolly not worth it.. and when your sitting down wondering if you should go to the gym.. you prolly should.

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
50lbs in 6 months is definitely possible, although many will argue as to how healthy it is. General consensus is that you shouldn't lose more than ~1lb/week, so only 4-5 a month. Granted, I find this to be overly conservative and when I first started my weight loss regiment (freshman 15; yuck) averaged about 2 a week, which is just a little bit lower than what you would want.

+1 on doing lots of cardio and also limiting your calorie intake. Generally you want to run at least a 500 calorie deficient. Definitely on the right track with that elliptical; I'm absolutely addicted to them. :lol:

Some find the site to be a bit cliche or what not, but check out CCP. I'm 5'10" and by the end of my freshman year was about 190lbs. :yikes: In the Fall I'll be a Junior and have maintained 155 for about the past 3 months.

I stress maintain as that's the problem with losing too much weight at once. Great if you can manage to keep it off, but many don't and tend to get into that "yo-yo effect".

Best of luck :thumbsup:
Oh, assuming you're not against supplements, consult with one of the experts at GNC. They have some really good stuff and can offer great advice.

isnt it like 80% diet. 20% working out. I personally just started this week to work out again. Running is mostly where u get the best work out. If you can swim somewhere even better. I need to pass the CT CPAT to take firefighting exams. Not so easy. best of luck

ATB1991

Passed Driver's Ed
I highly recommend swimming. I'm going to start because I can't do any other cardio right now (back injury) but my sister swam all through high school and now in college and her and her swimming friends had to fight not to lose too much weight. IMO it's the best cardio out there.

i'm gonna do ellipitical for an hour every morning, weights every night on a cycle, i'm taking one supplment called REDuction and i'm doing 5 small meals a day keeping my calories at like 1,500

Notoriouswithag

Slow+semi-low
I lost 30 pounds & ~2-3" off of my waist in 1.5-2months so 5o pounds in 6 months is definatley possible depending on how you create your work out regiment to benefit you.

I lost 30 pounds & ~2-3" off of my waist in 1.5-2months so 5o pounds in 6 months is definatley possible depending on how you create your work out regiment to benefit you.

if you dont mind me asking what was your diet and workout routine? did you take any supplements?

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
i'm gonna do ellipitical for an hour every morning, weights every night on a cycle, i'm taking one supplment called REDuction and i'm doing 5 small meals a day keeping my calories at like 1,500

Sounds good; I doubt you should have any issues reaching your goal. :thumbsup:
Best of luck!

benihana-defunct

Passed Driver's Ed
Diet is definitely the most important! Eat early to get your metabolism going. If you are doing cardio in the morning, do it before you eat ANYTHING! Your body is still in 'fasting' mode from sleeping so any energy used for cardio before you eat is stored energy (fats). If you eat anything before your morning run then your body will try to use what you ate before tapping into your stored energy. Make sure you are hydrated though. Other than that, I like to work my largest muscles the most since they use up the most energy. Large muscle groups would be legs, back, core muscles.
Getting a fitness ball is very helpful too. With it you can work your core while doing the main exercise.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck!

GTI_NY

Ready to race!
simple math, burn more than you take in... portioning the intake, and excersing, i have a friend that is a pharmacist, most of that crap you can buy doesnt work, like hydroxycut

on top of everything you are doing, change the little things, park farther from the store, use the stairs not the elevator or escalator, etc.

GTIxpinay

dirty pirate hooker
don't stick to one cardio routine for a long period of time. like after two weeks try jogging. your body gets used to a workout if you keep doing it and it's not as efficient.

intake<outake.

if you cheat on your diet, do an extra 30 minutes of cardio.

a coworker also told me not to eat carbs after 5. something with your glycemic index. basically you eat carbs, your blood sugar goes up, your body releases insulin, stores that stuff as fat, unless you use that consumed energy. if you stop eating carbs at 5, then you atleast have time to use some of that consumed energy. that was my understanding of his explanation. just in general, try and avoid white carbs (white bread, potatoes, white rice) and switch to whole grains.

you can eat food you crave, but just do it in moderation. when i was dieting, i always set one day of the week where i would have one meal to indulge, to keep my sanity from all this health crap i was eating.

reduce your alcohol intake. alcohol has a serious amount of calories.
carbs - 4Cal/g
protein - 4Cal/g
fat - 9Cal/g
alcohol - 7Cal/gram
alcohol almost has as much calories per gram as fat! and this is empty calories, no nutrition, nothing. it sucks, i love alcohol myself, but keep it to a minimum.

fiber is good. helps slow digestion, which is good when you eat foods with a high glycemic index. it also helps you feel fuller and it cleans out the poop shoot.

good luck!