GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fogs light turn on when turning with your headlights on

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
I just noticed that when the wheels are turned and the headlights are on; the fog light will turn on on the side the tire is turned to. i drove the car since May and finally noticed this when i installed some yellow fogs.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
vagcom - find someone to turn it off if you want to.

michal

Go Kart Champion
I just noticed that when the wheels are turned and the headlights are on; the fog light will turn on on the side the tire is turned to. i drove the car since May and finally noticed this when i installed some yellow fogs.

You have enabled fogs as cornering light.

GermanCarPlease

Ready to race!
"light out"

I park in an underground parking unit. I had 2 neighbours tell me that my fog light was out on my first week with the car. I had to turn it off...if it was young girls telling me...I would purposly leave a dead bulb in the unit.

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
it's kinda annoying when i have hid's that just turn on when i'm turning; forcing me to just keep my fogs and headlights on.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
With halogen fogs it also fades in and out when cornering..cool feature but you have the option to turn on/off with vcds

DJEuphoria

Go Kart Champion
it's kinda annoying when i have hid's that just turn on when i'm turning; forcing me to just keep my fogs and headlights on.

that's terrible for your HID bulbs.

when they turn off they should remain off for about 3 minutes to cool down and save the life of the bulbs/ballasts.

same reason i hate having my HID fogs on when i know i may need to use my highbeams.

i still need to code my car to leave the fog lights on with the highbeams.

Staticshokx

Hi, mine new tdi does that too, I think it's a really cool feature and makes more people look at your car too ;) I don't see why you should want to switch it off??

seeuarndjimmy

Ready to race!
I see this on a lot of german cars and they're okay if you have the stock bulbs, but if you ever upgrade to HID's it's not good for those types of bulbs.

Optical TDI1

Passed Driver's Ed
Is this a feature only with the HIDs or halogens too? I'll have to see if I notice this with the halogens.

1analguy

Ready to race!
I think we're confusing fog lights with head lights here. The OP was about the halogen fog lights coming on as cornering lights (one at a time; the left fog coming on during a left turn, etc.). This feature must be turned on or off using VCDS.

A completely separate issue is the ability of the factory H.I.D. head lights to swivel (in unison) in whatever direction that you're steering, and your ability to choose (in the MFI menu) whether or not you want them to do so. If your car has factory halogen head lights, they are fixed in position and are unable to swivel...

StoopidChris21

Ready to race!
It is called "parking assist." I just recently bought a 2012 TDI and thought possibly I had a short or switch problem because my car would do that. I took it to the dealership and that is what they told me.

allset

Go Kart Champion
vag com can turn that off. u can also use ur fogs as drl .

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to the forum.

It is called "parking assist."

Parking assist is a completely different function, that controls the electric power steering and parking senors to judge distance between objects to help you park.

Park-Assist

1analguy

Ready to race!
It is called "parking assist." I just recently bought a 2012 TDI and thought possibly I had a short or switch problem because my car would do that. I took it to the dealership and that is what they told me.

In long coding (VCDS), it is referred to as "fog lights-as-cornering-lights" (FLACL). In reality, if you have H.I.D.s, FLACL is really only helpful in very low speed or parking situations, as the light that it adds is only noticeable right at the corner of the car. As a result, at any kind of normal cornering speed you'll be "over driving" the light that FLACL adds, but it's a cool feature none the less (JMO).

If you'd like to activate FLACL, but you're afraid of reducing the life of your fog light bulbs, fear not. FLACL has a nice feature: it "fades" the light on and off, over a span of about 1 second, instead of just switching it on or off. This vastly reduces FLACL's contribution to the number one cause of bulb failure: thermal shock to the bulb filament. So, just turn on FLACL and enjoy...:w00t: