GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

For all audiophiles out there - Opinions Needed

s4mt3k

binary four
Hey guys,

Basically I travel for work so I'm on planes a lot (4-8 planes a week). For the last 2 years I've owned the following two earphones:

- Shure SE310 until the cables started wearing out and the earphones started clipping
- Shure SE210 to replace my 310s cause I couldn't afford the 310s again.

Now the bummer is that I lost my SE210s somewhere (hotel, airport, rental car...) just a couple months after buying them. I've been trying to use the ipod earphones and I can't believe how horrible they are.

Recently, I've been noticing the Full Headset trend everywhere (specially with the coil cable which is pretty cool). I spent the last couple hours researching my options and I'm willing to give headsets a shot since my chances of losing them are minimal. I am thinking if I end up with earphones again I'm just going to go with the Shures again.

Anyway, I'm looking for personal experience and advice (not hearsay) on passive/active noise canceling headphones. How portable they are isn't so much of a concern cause I always have a backpack with me.

Advice and opinion in regards to earphones is welcome too.

Thanks in advance!

Scharf

Sennheiser PXC-300

Quality

Scharf

I like the 300 especially if you're on a plane. You can turn the noise cancelling off at the flip of a switch if you need to hear an anouncement. They fold and fit nicely in a hi-test carrying case that is about the size of three cd cases stacked on top of one another.

Perfect for traveling.

turboed

Low Blinker Fluid
I have had a pair of Shure SE-400's for a few years now and I love em. The sound isolation is excellent and very good bass. I have no reason to doubt the current 420's are anything less.

My over ear ones are Sennheiser HD590's and are open air so offer no noise canceling but sound awesome and are great in the airport but not preferred in flight for obvious reason.

s4mt3k

binary four
My over ear ones are Sennheiser HD590's and are open air so offer no noise canceling but sound awesome and are great in the airport but not preferred in flight for obvious reason.

ahh i would love to get a pair of open air Denons or something but need to go with the noise canceling type cause i can't afford one of each :frown:

at this point it's down to SE530s or Sennheiser PXC-450. The SE's are actually a bit cheaper...

s4mt3k

binary four
Have you had the chance to listen to both as hard as that can be?

I say go with the Shures, over ears can get uncomfortable after a long while unless it has a nice velvet or non rubber surround.

I've heard the lesser SE310s and other Sennheiser products that always amazed me.

I was wondering about the over ear stuff, sticky/hot/annoying?

turboed

Low Blinker Fluid
I've heard the lesser SE310s and other Sennheiser products that always amazed me.

I was wondering about the over ear stuff, sticky/hot/annoying?

Unless I listen to a true circumoral, it bothers me. I won a pair of Bose triports and gave them away a week later, too annoying and the 590's sounded much better. Same for the Sony MDR DJ line, they just were not comfy to me, but everyone is different.

s4mt3k

binary four
One thing i'm sure of now is that I'm getting in-ear and not over-ear.

The SE530s went up on amazon to a little over 300...

Also, this happened to my SE310s (my 1st pair) due to the cable getting brittle from looping it over my ear after about 1 year of usage:

I was reading the reviews for the SE530s and I guess the same kind of cable is used and I was wondering if I should bother if they haven't improved the design...