GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

For those who run the B4 Bilsteins paired with any springs....

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Are any of you actually enjoying a comfortable and "OEM-like" ride quality from these?
Perhaps it's my OEM springs that are just too stiff/compressed from riding on blown struts for a while, but having replaced them with the B4s, the ride quality really hasn't changed for the better when it comes to slow rolling over bumps and inconsistencies in the road. To claim these ride like stock shocks/struts is a cruel lie that most can't come back from without enduring some sort of fee... whether their own labor or the cost of someone else's. Seems like a shitty way to market these, but I'm curious to know how others feel.

I've replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, control arms, etc and still have to brace for every bump in the road. I can literally feel it through my steering wheel like I'm driving an old '87 Jeep wrangler. If there is someone running these struts without complaints, what's your setup? I'm pretty close to demanding a refund from bilstein and just tossing on a new set of coilovers with good ride quality, or an lightly used stock setup

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I am running B4's with VWR springs and APR 27mm swaybars front and rear. Rides great. Not much harsher that the stock setup and I feel like any harshness I felt over bumps only came when the front swaybar was added. I live in Southern California as well where the roads are all complete ****.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I am running B4's with VWR springs and APR 27mm swaybars front and rear. Rides great. Not much harsher that the stock setup and I feel like any harshness I felt over bumps only came when the front swaybar was added. I live in Southern California as well where the roads are all complete ****.
you wouldn't happen to have the part number for the struts you used would you? I only ask because I've seen posts elsewhere that claim there's two versions of the B4s for out platform.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
I bought the set of 4 from ECS as part #22-127414KT which according to ECS includes:

22-131614 (Front)
19-127439 (Rear)
These are what I have/had.

I enjoyed them when installed. Were an upgrade over stock, definitely not harsh. Both rears started leaking eventually but were replaced under warranty.

Only reason for change was going to Bilstein coilovers.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
These are what I have/had.

I enjoyed them when installed. Were an upgrade over stock, definitely not harsh. Both rears started leaking eventually but were replaced under warranty.

Only reason for change was going to Bilstein coilovers.
Mated with OEM springs?

dub*man

Ready to race!
This isn't a direct answer to your question.. but I hope this helps on your quest: - I had the B6s initially paired with factory (GTI) springs and the ride was really similar to factory. I felt a slight increase in harshness over VERY sharp bumps but overall it rode like stock with more control. The B6s fell flat on their face over bumps when paired with the DG springs which I recently learned from Eibach USA, are a way softer spring rate than the factory GTI springs. This only got worse for me as the DG springs settled over time. I'm also guessing that the Bilsteins have less travel than factory dampers, combined with settled springs... It was hitting the bump stops over every single bump in the road.

I'm in the process of replacing for for Bilsteins and new springs - perhaps an Ohlins kit? Not sure yet..

It could be that you also need a new set of springs?

Here are the rates I got from Eibach for those that are interested.

Dg Votex Spring
F 154 lb/in
R 188 lb/in

GTI OE mk6
F 180 lb/in
R 211 lb/in

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
This isn't a direct answer to your question.. but I hope this helps on your quest: - I had the B6s initially paired with factory (GTI) springs and the ride was really similar to factory. I felt a slight increase in harshness over VERY sharp bumps but overall it rode like stock with more control. The B6s fell flat on their face over bumps when paired with the DG springs which I recently learned from Eibach USA, are a way softer spring rate than the factory GTI springs. This only got worse for me as the DG springs settled over time. I'm also guessing that the Bilsteins have less travel than factory dampers, combined with settled springs... It was hitting the bump stops over every single bump in the road.

I'm in the process of replacing for for Bilsteins and new springs - perhaps an Ohlins kit? Not sure yet..

It could be that you also need a new set of springs?

Here are the rates I got from Eibach for those that are interested.

Dg Votex Spring
F 154 lb/in
R 188 lb/in

GTI OE mk6
F 180 lb/in
R 211 lb/in
I've been thinking about trying to swap springs for VWRs, their rate is about
F 177lb/in
R 188lb/in

Little closer to stock, but more lax in the rear which is less likely to affect the ride. OEM springs are just super expensive for what they are and to already have the issues with the current set.... ooof

dub*man

Ready to race!
The ground control coilover conversion kit might be worth exploring as well if travel is the issue with the Bilsteins

Hight adjustable and you can choose spring rates IIRC

EEforLife

I have the B4s with original springs in the front and replacement OE springs in the back. Same part numbers you mentioned, and I think they suck. Doesn’t feel anything like OE and is just plain harsh sometimes. Funny thing is that speedbumps aren’t as bad as a slightly too low manhole cover.

I did the rears first, and that was a huge improvement over the worn original suspension. After doing the fronts, it felt like a new suspension, but something just feels off. Some minor bumps and the whole car rattles. I figured it might just be the bushings showing their age, but you mentioned doing the control arms, so that sort of debunks that one.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I have the B4s with original springs in the front and replacement OE springs in the back. Same part numbers you mentioned, and I think they suck. Doesn’t feel anything like OE and is just plain harsh sometimes. Funny thing is that speedbumps aren’t as bad as a slightly too low manhole cover.

I did the rears first, and that was a huge improvement over the worn original suspension. After doing the fronts, it felt like a new suspension, but something just feels off. Some minor bumps and the whole car rattles. I figured it might just be the bushings showing their age, but you mentioned doing the control arms, so that sort of debunks that one.
I ended up ditching the B4s for a set of Racingline shocks/springs. They're basically the new DG springs only with shocks rated to complement the compression ratio. They are a little stiff, but feel more like stock suspension.
Since then I've done both top engine and trans mounts, control arms, tierod ends, balljoints, and all new mounting hardware and bearings for the new suspension. I still feel like there's a wobble in steering, or like a floaty feeling almost. I still need to do a full alignment but I'm going to try and have new tierods installed this week, and maybe start looking at some of the rear components.

I know that when I rest my foot on the dead pedal (car is DSG) I can almost feel like a thumping sensation under it, like something is loose or no good, but everything should literally be brand new with the exception of bearings, the tierod inners, and sway bar bushings, endlinks, etc. Almost the entire front suspension and bushings have been replaced at this point, and I may start on the rears. I almost think one of my wheels isn't road forced balanced or something and maybe a little bent perhaps but I have no idea where I could go for solid road force balancing.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I bought the set of 4 from ECS as part #22-127414KT which according to ECS includes:

22-131614 (Front)
19-127439 (Rear)
For what it's worth at this point, Bilstein lists those part numbers as being for the Mk5 Rabbit and Audi A3 of the same vintage. The ones @This is Ryans face had is what they list for the Mk6 GTI. I recently switched to the GTI B4s on my R with the stock springs and I'm happy with it so far compared to the B8/H&R setup I had before. It's still a little firmer over bumps than I remember stock to be, though - I think Bilsteins are just stiff in compression across the board.

Last edited: