GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FR-S picked up today. Compared to my TDI....

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion
So the woman and I picked up our FR-S 6AT today and I've since had about an hour behind the wheel. I just thought we adding another fuel efficient sporty car to the family, not the polar opposite of what I'm used to in the TDI. The 2 are literally nothing alike. The mods I have should relate to you GTI guys pretty well except the engine so here goes:

FR-S: 2 doors, roofline near my elbow, good paddle shifters, excellent brakes, max height seating position is about an inch too low for my liking, garbage sound system, flawless steering input, next to zero body roll, hard to get comfy as in there is no armrest (yet) and you're always looking for an excuse to turn a corner and stand on the gas, the back tires break loose doing a casual Uturn its so easy, 40-85mph is surprisingly strong in this car which was a huge relief but it takes awhile to get through the sadly underpowered 1st gear (the car will never be called fast I don't think though), 4k through redline is solid but the engine sounds very whiny that high up..not really a pleasant note right now. It definitely does feel very racecar like, very raw and track ready minus the tires. Wheel gap blows. Dead sexy still!

TDI: 4 doors, roofline near my shoulder, shitty paddles, shitty breaks, perfect seating for me, excellent sound system, nice heavy steering but still feels like I'm driving a heavy car, body roll a plenty, very nice cruise comfort position as in easy to just chill on that armrest or some other way for long trips, corners feel like corners but are done probably much better than the average vehicle, tires don't really ever chirp maybe twice since I've had it, 0-40 feels strong and falls off gradually after that, low end torque feels better to me than wringing out an engine for all its got though, very very quiet engine/exhaust in comparison, very much a lower key car even though the 18s and drop looks sexy compared to stocko Toyobaru. Feels nowhere near as track capable as the FR-S no matter how well I thought it handled darting through traffic

Verdict: These cars (all Golfs included) should stop being compared to the FRS period. There is next to nothing alike in them besides that getting over 25mpg is easy and neither block out road noise the greatest. I couldn't be happier that I am able to drive both whenever I want to because I get all worlds (minus raw speed) thay way. I do feel however if the FR-S made 250-275whp for the same price I think half the forum would begin to empty, it is a seriously fun track ready car ready to be tuned

E-Rocko

Ready to race!
Haha, must be nice to have both in the stable. Too bad you had to get the auto. It takes a second off of the 0-60 and quarter mile times. Still must be fun, though. I have a feeling you'll be picking the Scion over the TDI, fairly often.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Haha, must be nice to have both in the stable. Too bad you had to get the auto. It takes a second off of the 0-60 and quarter mile times. Still must be fun, though. I have a feeling you'll be picking the Scion over the TDI, fairly often.
Honestly I don't see how an auto FR-S can be fun, a car like that needs a manual trans imo.

Last edited:

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
Make sure you don't dump diesel in the FR-S on accident:eek:

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
Pics pleaseeeee

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
This...you can close the thread now

Yeah just my opinion but if they made the S2000 in auto would you even consider it ?? Nope .... Why? Because that would be a waste of time .. Maybe I missed it but what was the reason for the auto purchase ?

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion
Yeah its a second slower on the 0-60 but that's because it cant launch past 2.5k I don't think. It needs a launch at 4.5k. And I don't see the need for the auto hate, its almost as good as the DSG. Of course the technology isn't there but you seriously could not shift much smoother/faster than it does. Why are we talking about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times though? This is not a drag strip car lol. The manual is a dead art I doubt they'll even be made in 5 years. I have no regrets. +3mpg +2 paddles and 1 less pedal, I'm good.

Edit: I should mention this is a lease as well (probably the best lease deal this car has ever seen). I've already got the green light from the dealer to swap at will if it gets released with more power in the next couple years. Any regrets I may find I end up with this time can get corrected next time around.

Last edited:

BackToVWs

Ready to race!
Thw frs is such a flop... Limp power train... So uninspiring. Hope you enjoy it with that shifter. At least resale will be high

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
I autocrossed one with an automatic and it was ok, for an auto. Dsg is much much better in literally every aspect. Also, the frs has some sort of soundaktor type device, which is lame.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
These things come with an automatic?

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
These things come with an automatic?

Gotta sell them to the masses somehow.

All the autos we get in at my dealer, sell pretty quick. The sticks tend to linger a little longer. We've got several in stock right now, all stick save for one auto.

The autobox isn't that bad, since it's based off of the 8-speed auto in the Lexus cars, just with 2 less gears. But yeah, a second slower 0-60 sucks.

Shame you got an autotragic, bro. These cars sing with a stick.