GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Future GTI owner - dealerships are a joke.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
The GTI is a high volume car and will be plentiful. Don't give up due to one bad dealer experience. You've got a a whole lot of bad dealer experineces ahead of you, so don't crumble yet. Get on the internet and find about 5 or 6 closest VW dealers and email each of them the same email detailing the GTI you want and that you wanta test drive.
You will get contacted. Plus, internet sales people know that internet shoppers expect lower selling prices and generally don't need much help for a sales person.
Part of the cost of the car is commission to the salesperson giving the customer help.
I feel that if I know what I want and don't need any information from a saleman, then my overall cost should be less. Internet sellers typically now this.

TT

onthevirg

Oval Champion
GTI

GTT's comment about dealing w/ the Internet sale people is very true. When I emailed Cathi @ Commonwealth, right off the bat she came back to me letting me know that they had the EXACT car that I wanted, for right around $700 over invoice according to Edmunds.com. I knocked out soooo much of the BS right out of the gate dealing w/ someone through email. I think one of the keys is making sure you know what you want, what you're willing to pay and if you don't feel comfortable about how you're bring treated...walk. It's your strongest tool imo.

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Slowride said:
This isn't a job interview, but rather a car purchase. He should be able to walk in there with ripped jeans and a t-shirt and get the same respect as a guy in a suit. I wouldn't go out of my way, since MANY dealerships sell cars.

No, it isn't. But at a job interview you aren't asking to take $25000 off the lot. That being said, there are alot of young people who are irrresponsible and could cause a dealer alot of grief. Would you buy a car you thought might have been flogged before it has been properly broken in? I think that anyone who has an uphill battle in a situation is doing themselves a favour to get the odds as far in their favour as they can. I am a trades person who makes very good money, but I look like a bum doing it. Does that mean I go to a dealer dressed in work clothes? No, because I won't get treated with the respect I deserve. Until the world becomes the perfect place we all want it to be, do what you can to swing favour in your direction even if it means you have to wear a tie.

P.S. I hate ties, but if it got me a test drive in a MKV, it's a small price to pay....

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
I just moved to Atlanta from Cali, and I'm sure the dealers out there are dicks. However I wouldn't blame it on VW, I think the ridiculous cost-of-living is what drives peoples attitudes out in California. Overall any type of person-to-person service sucks in California compared to the rest of the country (except NY). I had the best possible experience a car buyer could have out here in ATL and I'm sure it would have been good regardless of my financial situation. I'm only 25 and this is the first new-car I've bought and I swear they treated me like I was buying a 911. Definetly recommend starting the process on the Internet.

cmcm

Drag Racing Champion
Don't you guys think the dealers suppose to kiss our asses not the other way around? You still can complain to VW via email even you're not buying, i'm sure VW would keep an eye at that dealer or that particular salesman, they do have a internal department, you all recieved a call from VW 1 week after you took your car from dealers, you can definitely complain!!!!!!!!

plac

GTI Master
my salesman emailed me like 10 times sayign to give him 5 stars. but i never got a call.

plac

GTI Master
ill have to admit tho.. i rarely pick up the phone. we get 80% telemarketers every night.... i guess VW doesnt leave messages..

Here's Johnny

Drag Racing Champion
One of the things that will almost make sure you won't get a test drive is bringing friends. I have heard countless stories of salesmen giving a "prospective" buyer and his friends the keys to a car to test drive only for the car to end up totaled. Many dealerships will think that if you have friends that you will try to showoff and flog the car. If you bring anyone bring a girlfriend, parent, uncle/aunt, anyone besides friends.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
I wouldn't mention the trade in at all till you are actually talking numbers. If they know you have a car to trade in they start fucking with the price of the new car to start with. You are trying get the absolute lowest number you can from the dealer and then mention that you have a trade in AFTER they tell you what they can sell the car to you for.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
the moral of the story is...99% of all car salesmen/women are the scum of the earth. and unfortuantely, the way you dress does do something for them...i am still 20, and when i showed up to my local vw/audi dealer in a suit one day, i told the guy i was interested in a used MkIV, and the first thing he wanted me to do was take keys to a MkV for a test drive by myself...

and yes, walking is your best strategy. the last car i bought, the dealer wasnt going to budge within 750 bucks of my last otd offer, i walked out of the dealership, the guy comes running out to get me, then about 30 minutes of paperwork and a cut check later, i drove out of there for my price.