GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gearbox oil for manual MK6 GTI question

2kgoat

Hi guys

newbie here on the site tried searching it but cant find any old threads

just wanting to know the grade of gear oil for mk6 gti and also how many litres I need to replace it?

Thanks

Jared32

Ready to race!

zrickety

The Fixer
Mobil 1 gear oil, 75w90 I think. You won't be disappointed.

2kgoat

I thought the oem is 75w80 not 75w90, heard the 75w90 is not good as its harder to shift when it's colder conditions, let us know please thanks

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
2.3 liters is what I estimated as stated above. I used liquimoly 75w90 a few months ago and it's great. $14/per L (liquimoly) vs ~$35/per L (OEM) I don't live in an extreme cold climate so I have never dealt with a hard-to-shift gearbox.

Correction: LiquiMoly Gear Oil GL5 is not the correct oil for our manual transmission. Do not use this version! The correct LiquiMoly Gear Oil is the GL4+ per my communication direct with an associate at LiquiMoly.

I only wish I had this, or something similar, to make the filling process easier.

Plews 55001 Lubrimatic Fluid Quart Pump, Fits Standard Quart Bottles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQW5LK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EBQCybV1MD79D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I never had a problem shifting in cold weather with the Mobil 1.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Please correct me if I am wrong or if the specs on GL5 oils have changed, but the product listed above shows it is a GL5 oil. I know my 2011 GTI tranny calls for a GL4 fluid and I have used Redline MTL for years in multiple vehicles with spectacular results. I recall reading in many places that GL5 oils are not good for the brass parts in the syncronizers and can lead to premature transmission failure.

TheCor

Ready to race!
I changed mine at 60k and used Redline MTL. It cost me half as much as buying 3 quarts of OEM fluid and I'm happy with it. It is a little notchy when cold, but I have no trouble getting it into 1st gear or reverse. Seems great to me over the last 8000 miles. :thumbsup:

zrickety

The Fixer
Please correct me if I am wrong or if the specs on GL5 oils have changed, but the product listed above shows it is a GL5 oil. I know my 2011 GTI tranny calls for a GL4 fluid and I have used Redline MTL for years in multiple vehicles with spectacular results. I recall reading in many places that GL5 oils are not good for the brass parts in the syncronizers and can lead to premature transmission failure.

That may be true for some, but not all GL5 oils are the same. The mobil 1 meets GL4 and GL5 because the formula is balanced and does not react with yellow metals. I like it because it's about $10 liter and available almost everywhere.

mamock116

Ready to race!
Im using Redline MTL. I cant tell a difference between it and stock. On my old Mazda3 there was a huge difference between OEM and Redline.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie

Thank you for pointing this out as I really should've done my homework on this. :bonk: After searching google and reading many GL4 vs GL5 links I assumed I was okay to leave the LiquiMoly GL5 gear oil in my transmission. However, just to be sure I emailed the company (Liqui Moly) last night and received a response today. They recommend I remove the GL5 gear oil and replace it with their GL4+ version. I just ordered 3 bottles of GL4 gear oil and plan for a gear oil change ASAP. During my google search, some people posted that a few manufacturers of GL5 gear oil claim to be safe to use on transmissions requiring GL4 oil. Lot's of debates if you're brave enough to google search and read links/articles/forums, however, I was still left in confusion. :mad0259: The krappy thing is that our owners manual does not state which gear oil to use. :rolleyes: (At least I couldn't fine it.) Bottom line, reach out to the manufacturer if you're not clear whether or not the gear oil that you want to use in your racecar is safe :) (Obviously, OEM gear oil is fine...expensive....but fine.)

FondaleMKVI

Easy way to fill, I hung the bottle like an I.V. bag from the hood and ran a hose to the fill hole. Cut 2 holes in the bottom of the bottle and cut a slot out of it so I could leave it hang and refill the bottle until gearbox was full. Just make sure the gear oil is warm or it can be a 20 minute process, but basically hands free
[/IMG]

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Thank you for pointing this out as I really should've done my homework on this. :bonk: After searching google and reading many GL4 vs GL5 links I assumed I was okay to leave the LiquiMoly GL5 gear oil in my transmission. However, just to be sure I emailed the company (Liqui Moly) last night and received a response today. They recommend I remove the GL5 gear oil and replace it with their GL4+ version. I just ordered 3 bottles of GL4 gear oil and plan for a gear oil change ASAP. During my google search, some people posted that a few manufacturers of GL5 gear oil claim to be safe to use on transmissions requiring GL4 oil. Lot's of debates if you're brave enough to google search and read links/articles/forums, however, I was still left in confusion. :mad0259: The krappy thing is that our owners manual does not state which gear oil to use. :rolleyes: (At least I couldn't fine it.) Bottom line, reach out to the manufacturer if you're not clear whether or not the gear oil that you want to use in your racecar is safe :) (Obviously, OEM gear oil is fine...expensive....but fine.)

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Some may argue that Liqui Moly replied and recommended removing the GL5 from your transmission so they could sell you 3 bottles of GL4, but when a manufacturer calls for a specific type of fluid, it's always best to follow their requirement. Transmissions are not cheap to repair or replace. It would be a shame to have problems because you believed the claims of an after-market product and disregarded the manufacturer's requirements. Kudos on doing your homework!