GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General Car, Inferior or Superior Interior, & Eternal Mullet Barge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Yep but only for 2 years...I imagine they would be pretty hard to find. I've heard mixed reviews about their build quality as well.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I had to look up what a Lincoln LS was. 194 inches long 74 inches wide 3700 lbs with the manual seems a little too big. On the other end of the spectrum there's the Lexus IS300 at 173 inches long 3250 lbs, it reminds me of a little RWD WRX or something. Probably too small:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...000&mmt=[LEXUS[][]]&listingId=364614675&Log=0

Back seat on the IS would definitely be a little tight, but I think you'd love the way the IS300 drives.

Nearly impossible to find one with a stick in decent shape, though.

Merkle

Banned
I had to look up what a Lincoln LS was. 194 inches long 74 inches wide 3700 lbs with the manual seems a little too big. On the other end of the spectrum there's the Lexus IS300 at 173 inches long 3250 lbs, it reminds me of a little RWD WRX or something. Probably too small:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...000&mmt=[LEXUS[][]]&listingId=364614675&Log=0

Don't knock it until you try it, the LS was only available with the V6 in a manual, but even then it's a nice car to drive, 50/50 weight distribution RWD, it was Ford's competition to the 5-series.

rich337

Ready to race!
I agree that the G35 doesn't live up to its specs. I had an '03 6MT coupe that felt underpowered for having 280hp, plowed into corners, and was heavily lacking in refinement. The drivetrain suffered from NVH issues, convincing me that the VQ engine was best left to Pathfinders. I remember idling in drive through lanes or in narrow garages, and hearing all kinds of ticking and popping coming from the engine compartment. The shifter needed a lot of effort and didn't like to be rushed, and the clutch had a finnicky engagement point. It had a lot of promise as a fast, luxurious GT for under $40K, but it was neither comfortable or fun to drive.

The interior quality and assembly were questionable at best. Mine had 0.5" gaps between the rear quarter windows and panels. I bought the car new and babied it, but the faux-metal trim looked beat up and scratched after two years. Oh, and rattles galore. The '05 facelift included better interior materials, but it was like adding lipstick to a pig.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
^ I'd take an IS350 or IS250 over a G35 hands down. I've never been too impressed with the G35/37

Winoman

Ready to race!
The G35 is a car that looks great on paper, but very meh IRL. The e39 is a much better option, IMO.

I would agree with this. However, I've always enjoyed the various incarnations of the G35/37 sedans I've had as rental cars - used mostly around town and as highway cruisers. The latest gen is really a great car out on the highway - and I've had fun pushing it pretty hard in some sweeping 2 lanes out in the country - but never had the pleasure of taking it hard on any twisites. Somehow though I don't think it would do well. As nice as it rides I've always felt it rode more like a nice SUV than an actual sedan. At first I thought it was the AWD version - got to drive one for an extend period when my Audi was in the body shop - but the RWD versions feel just as high & disconnected to the road. Still I wouldn't turn one down as a rental.

Winoman

Ready to race!
You're really not missing out on anything.

A number of years ago when I had my Mazda Millennia S I let a friend who drove a "sporty" 350 Lexus drive my Mazda and it totally blew him away how much better the Mazda drove/handled (and it did drive well). I never drove his car...but I never had much of a desire too either...

Status
Not open for further replies.