GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Getting rid of my MK6 to buy an R32 (not the VW kind either)

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
So getting ready to deploy and decided on parting out my GTI, I've loved the car and learned a ton wrenching on it and even more from reading what everyone on here has had to say. After the part outs done and the car is sold in November, I'll be taking the money to put a down payment on a 1990 R32 GT-R that will be delievered in August of next year! I'm extremely excited! Anyone here ever owned one or have any experience wrenching on them? They seem pretty trouble free as long as you keep up with the maintanince like a VW.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
You are selling a car now for a car coming next year?

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
He won't need a car if he's on a ship at sea. (??)

And, I'm not sure what the car being 25 years old has to do with it. Maybe a smog reg in the People's Republik of Kalifornia?

Balt21

Ready to race!
Any reason why you wouldnt aim for an R34?
They're not legal yet.
He won't need a car if he's on a ship at sea. (??)

And, I'm not sure what the car being 25 years old has to do with it. Maybe a smog reg in the People's Republik of Kalifornia?
Once it's 25 years old it is considered historical and doesn't need to meet safety and smog regulations.

If you feel like reading http://www.gtr-garage.com/pages/godzilla-is-coming gives you an overview of it.

OP awesome, I would like to do the same; however, I doubt I'd ever actually do it haha.

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
Exactly, after 25 years you are good to import these cars legally. And Yes I'm selling my car now for a car next year because I'll be deployed, no need for a car when your out at sea haha

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
They're not legal yet.

Once it's 25 years old it is considered historical and doesn't need to meet safety and smog regulations.

I know that, I own a 30 year old car. Hence my asking the question, why is it a problem? Just buy the car, get historical plates if you want (or don't), and be done with it. In my part of the world it is not an issue.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Exactly, after 25 years you are good to import these cars legally. And Yes I'm selling my car now for a car next year because I'll be deployed, no need for a car when your out at sea haha

Then by all means, DOOOO EEEEET.

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
You cannot register a <25 year old imported car in any state, it's not just CA.

yes you can, plenty of R33s and R34s with state registration papers and plates, but they are not federally bond released therefor they may be state legal but are not federally legal. Plenty of people get caught in this trap, its unfortunate.

Just because a car is registered and can pass an inspection doesn't mean its legal, what really matters is the manner in which it came stateside.

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
He can do this because it'll be registered in Florida. Unfortunately, in California, this is still a no go for another freaking 6 years. Stupid California has its own stateside BS that makes it illegal until it's 31 years old. So we can get an R32 in California in fucking 2020.