GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gigabit WiFi 6 Mesh System Recommendations?

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
As the topic states. We have ATT 1 gig fiber in our home and would like a WiFi system to take advantage of it. I've heard good things about the Eero Pro 6 but am looking for some real-world recommendations..

Thanks..

Mods please move or delete if this isn't the appropriate forum..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
There's lots of good mesh wifi systems. Do you have any areas of the house that have a weak signal? If no you don't even need a mesh system.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Correct. Mr. Wrong needs to figure out where he has issues in his house. He may be asking the wrong question.
A lot of people don't understand the mesh system. I'll have them run a speedtest at various places in the house only to find out the speed doesn't vary by more than 10 - 20 mbps and they want to buy a mesh system expecting massive boosts in speed. Or they'll want to buy wifi 6 capable router etc and they don't have any wifi 6 capable devices and don't plan on purchasing any new devices.

cb1111

A lot of people don't understand the mesh system. I'll have them run a speedtest at various places in the house only to find out the speed doesn't vary by more than 10 - 20 mbps and they want to buy a mesh system expecting massive boosts in speed. Or they'll want to buy wifi 6 capable router etc and they don't have any wifi 6 capable devices and don't plan on purchasing any new devices.
Bingo. Shut everything down and just run speedtest in all of the different rooms where you'll want connectivity. Post the results here. Run speedtest in the room with the router too and post that as well.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks everyone. Admittedly I'm pretty ignorant about this topic. So much so that I didn't even realize the devices themselves had to be Wi-Fi 6 compatible.

What is a good speed test app either Windows or Android. I tried an Android app this morning and it came back 0.0 upload and 0.0 download on Wi-Fi so obviously I did something wrong, or it was a crappy app.

We have a two story 27sq ft home, and my current router is about 5 years old (I can get the specs later if needed). I have an Nvidia Shield TV box upstairs that I stream media to from a shared hard drive. I do not have an ethernet cable running upstairs so I'm totally reliant on Wi-Fi, and at times do get some stuttering and buffering. My thought was to get a the Eero 6 Pro two pack and attach an ethernet cable from the upstairs mesh router to the Nvidia box in hopes of getting the advantage of ethernet speeds to the box. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Again, thanks for the help, and please pardon my ignorance.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Don’t get too hung up on Wi-Fi6. Most devices don’t need more than 100mbps to do anything they need extremely smoothly. A lot of devices also don’t support it yet. Wi-fi 5 will be more than enough. What’s more important is the router itself is capable of doing gigabit and not just the interface but the handing traffic. Not sure how tech savvy you are but the Ubiquiti UDM is pretty slick and has a lot of enterprise features.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Just a data point:

We have ATT fiber 1gb service, running through a Deco x20 with 3 nodes. With basement, a three story house.

ATT has their own speedtest webpage. Speeds vary quite a bit, depending on the host you choose.

Highest speed achieved over wifi, straight through the router, was just under 400 Mbs, so much lower than 1gb. Speeds on the mesh run from around 100 to 300. Some trial and error needed to get to this level.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Thanks everyone. Admittedly I'm pretty ignorant about this topic. So much so that I didn't even realize the devices themselves had to be Wi-Fi 6 compatible.

What is a good speed test app either Windows or Android. I tried an Android app this morning and it came back 0.0 upload and 0.0 download on Wi-Fi so obviously I did something wrong, or it was a crappy app.

We have a two story 27sq ft home, and my current router is about 5 years old (I can get the specs later if needed). I have an Nvidia Shield TV box upstairs that I stream media to from a shared hard drive. I do not have an ethernet cable running upstairs so I'm totally reliant on Wi-Fi, and at times do get some stuttering and buffering. My thought was to get a the Eero 6 Pro two pack and attach an ethernet cable from the upstairs mesh router to the Nvidia box in hopes of getting the advantage of ethernet speeds to the box. Is that an incorrect assumption?

Again, thanks for the help, and please pardon my ignorance.
Let's start with what download speed you're paying for and then choose equipment.

Here is the go to speedtest site.

https://www.speedtest.net/

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Let's start with what download speed you're paying for and then choose equipment.

Here is the go to speedtest site.

https://www.speedtest.net/

Thanks again for your help.. Here's a shot from speedtest.net:

This is with my current wifi setup which is an older (about 5/6 years old) Orbi RBR50 with a single satellite. I do not have my desktop running at the moment, so I couldn't get a wired speedtest..

Here's the result when I went upstairs where the Obri satellite is.. Wayyyy worse

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Thanks again for your help.. Here's a shot from speedtest.net:

This is with my current wifi setup which is an older (about 5/6 years old) Orbi RBR50 with a single satellite. I do not have my desktop running at the moment, so I couldn't get a wired speedtest..

Here's the result when I went upstairs where the Obri satellite is.. Wayyyy worse

Nice speeds. Even your second floor speed is fast enough for anything but if you wanted faster you could just get 1 mesh unit. Personally I wouldn't bother with those speeds.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Nice speeds. Even your second floor speed is fast enough for anything but if you wanted faster you could just get 1 mesh unit. Personally I wouldn't bother with those speeds.

I know this may sound dumb, but what do you mean by one mesh unit? Do you mean just a single router with no satellites?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
I know this may sound dumb, but what do you mean by one mesh unit? Do you mean just a single router with no satellites?
A single router with one satellite unit. You only need 25 mbps to stream 4K upstairs and you have way more than that. So unless you're downloading large files you have plenty sufficient speed right now. It's your money.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
A single router with one satellite unit. You only need 25 mbps to stream 4K upstairs and you have way more than that. So unless you're downloading large files you have plenty sufficient speed right now. It's your money.

Awesome.. Got it. Thanks! Looks like I'm gonna sit tight..

I go down these rabbit holes and tend to overthink stuff.. Thanks again..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Awesome.. Got it. Thanks! Looks like I'm gonna sit tight..

I go down these rabbit holes and tend to overthink stuff.. Thanks again..
I do the same thing and finally quit spending the money and doing what you did and got advice instead.