GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Glory's Mk1 Rabbit

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Impressive work. Thanks for the update and pics. Continued good luck to you.

Do (did) those front vent windows open?

glory

Ready to race!
Thanks WAP. I assuming you are talking about the small piece of window on the door near the A-pillar? If so, no to the best of my knowledge they do not open.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Yes,I'm talking about those. Too bad. They opened on the Mk1 GTI's.

glory

Ready to race!
Ok so another update.

Last week was busy as hell so nothing got done. But tonight some stuff got done. Got all windows removed, has to smash out the front Window. We tried really hard to take it out nicely but it wouldn't budge and when we put pressure on it, it decided to spider. So if anyone cares it is very fun to stand on the hood of a car with a sledge hammer and smash a Window out. The rest of the glass is fine.
Window tip: when removing the rear side windows on a coupe, have one person push from inside with the feet and another person pull with their hands from the outside. Works like a charm.

So what's lefts to strip is sun roof, motor and trans (waiting until I have access to the lift), sound deadening under dash. After that I hope it's metal work.
So couple questions. Does anyone know the gauge of metal was used on a rabbit? Going to pick up a sheet to patch holes and shave parts. And going to do a tdi swap. Either alh (mk3) or ahu (mk4) engines. Alh I know with a turbo, injectors and tune it can see 150hp and 220lbft and mounts to the same mounting locations as the stock engine. As for the AHU, it can be done but requires more fab work (I think) and not sure if you can get more power out of it. Any suggestions which one I should do? Most likely will do the m-tdi version of either to make it simple.

Sent from the White north with magic

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
That thing is going to fly with a mk3 or mk4 TDI in it. I can't remember what gauge metal we used to patch the floors of our mk1, I'll check with my buddy tomorrow and get back to you if no one else has an answer by then.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Fascinating project! With the light weight of the Mk1, either TDI engine will make that car a real screamer. Personally, I'd go with the Mk3 motor since it's a direct bolt on.

Continued good luck.

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
I know its not simple but my buddy just finished his mk2 with a 3.2 audi engine in it its so nasty

glory

Ready to race!
That thing is going to fly with a mk3 or mk4 TDI in it. I can't remember what gauge metal we used to patch the floors of our mk1, I'll check with my buddy tomorrow and get back to you if no one else has an answer by then.

Any word on this?

Ya seems like mk3 tdi will work just fine :D.

Trying to think of a color to paint the car (a bit away yet but can't hurt). I've always had a black or silver car. Wouldn't mind a color this time around but having a hard time deciding. Originally it was LE7Y and I don't like red so that's definitely out. I have been looking at the following colors:

Original LE7Y:

Light Green:

Black:

Blue:

Orange:

nakenyon

Go Kart Champion
Ah. Crap. I asked him and then totally forgot to come post. He doesn't remember and I can't for the life of me remember either.

As for color....Orange looks really sharp IMO, but that light green looks cool too.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
+3 for the green.

glory

Ready to race!
Sorry there hasn't been any updates lately. Haven't been able to work on it for awhile.

Buddy of mine just got a mk2 jetta from his cousin and is wondering if I want the engine and trans (if it is a 1.6TD). If it is a 1.6TD, then I am sure he will give it to me for free or a stupidly low price. But is it worth swapping in vs an AHU?

Still trying to find a place to get front euro fenders. Place in Calgary has them but are currently out of stock until May sometime. Anyone have any leads on front fenders in North America?