GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 8 - Speed Limiter?

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all, simple question!

Is there a Speed Limiter function available? We haven't easily noticed how to set it...

Very handy feature we had on our previous car especially when driving in a new area, you can just set a limiter and no matter how much you step on the accelerator, the car won't go faster than your set limit.

Thanks!

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
To answer my own question, found via : https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-drivers/my-car/manuals.html

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
I followed the instructions above, but didn't manage to get it working!

I could not get these icons to appear:

Following the instructions in the post above only yields the following icons:

This sets the speed of the vehicle to the set number (e.g. 30mph) and automatically accelerates to 30mph wherever possible, i.e adaptive cruise control : not desired!

I wish to be able to control acceleration myself, up to a set limit.

Can anyone confirm they can set the Limiter?
Is this feature model specific perhaps?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Do you have travel assist ?
There is a button on the side of the left stalk (Lights).
Press it and you get a menu in the dashboard with options. If you don't see the Limiter then it's not available.
tempImagemnmm6z.pngtempImage0y58lU.png

Last edited:

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for your reply!
I think this option is only available on Golf 8 with no ACC or Travel Assist

Yes, we have travel assist (though don't really use unless on motorways due to it not being able to react to last minute changes that one experiences on congested roads, i.e. late braking, someone cutting in, it accelerates far too aggressively when there is a gap ahead, etc.)

I find it strange that it is either ACC/Travel Assist or Speed Limiter? As they perform different functions...

Do you have travel assist ?
There is a button on the side of the left stalk (Lights).
Press it and you get a menu in the dashboard with options. If you don't see the Limiter then it's not available.
View attachment 238412View attachment 238413
Thanks for this - I will press the button on the left stalk and see what comes up!

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
No it has nothing to do with the Travel assist/ ACC ... Checking on the Irish and UK VW configurator it is standard on all Golf 8 cars.

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you once again @Massimo 2323 ! Pressing the button on the side of the indicator stalk did indeed allow us to select between ACC and LIMITER. After this, the steps in the VW documentation above work as described.

We did notice it doesn't remember your selection between ACC/LIMITER, and always defaults to ACC once the engine is restarted. This is a minor inconvenience given our preference is to use the LIMITER rather than ACC (which isn't quite mature enough for a smooth journey, given its harsh accelerations!).