GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf Mk8 Matrix Headlights

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
This is something that is still at the back of my mind, when I got the car January 2021, I looked upon the Matrix headlights as probably the best option I went for. The photo attached shows the headlights on full beam. Is this the normal "shape" for these headlights on full beam, dip is OK. I cannot remember the shape being like this when I first got the car, especially where the beam cuts off right and left, the beam as I remember it lit up a far greater area. I have it in my mind that the 1899 update altered the main beam shape.
That shape is in my peripheral vision all the time now. I got an answer to this before, but am not quite convinced that something didn't change in the software updates.

Thanks for any replies
Matrix 1a.jpg

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
Looks right to me. In this photo at least I can't say 100% that it's the same as mine but it looks right.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I'll have a look at mine next time i'm out in the dark ( could be weeks ) I'm pretty sure mine light up the full verge. Is this at all speeds above 30 mph?

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
I'll have a look at mine next time i'm out in the dark ( could be weeks ) I'm pretty sure mine light up the full verge. Is this at all speeds above 30 mph?
Yes at any speed and none. What I recall (for nearly two years) is being delighted at how much of the road, verges and even tall trees ahead were illuminated and how the matrix lights functioned, now all I see this very restricted all-round view and worst of all is those annoying cut-offs either side that are in my peripheral vision all the time - all of which I genuinely do not recall the pre the 1899 software update. I often wonder were my lights wrong the way they were and the software update "corrected" them!

Last edited:

keith1200rs

Passed Driver's Ed
You could try switching the lights to left hand drive mode and see if that is how you remembered it, assuming that it is in RHD mode now.

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
You could try switching the lights to left hand drive mode and see if that is how you remembered it, assuming that it is in RHD mode now.
Thanks for the reply, to check it out had already changed the setting to driving on the right (while parked and off road) that just deflects the main beam to the opposite side and certainly doesn't change that area of illumination at all. Toggled every other setting on and off with no effect either.

Charger21

I notice they are an option again. Weren't when I ordered mine in May but at near 2grand I doubt I would have specced them anyway

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I notice they are an option again. Weren't when I ordered mine in May but at near 2grand I doubt I would have specced them anyway
For anyone that does have them, if they fail after the car’s warranty has expired, then getting them replaced will be a costly exercise!

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
For anyone that does have them, if they fail after the car’s warranty has expired, then getting them replaced will be a costly exercise!
I agree, prices are a bit crazy - depending on the market. When I ordered mine (Style) in Summer 2020 they were a €770 option, at the same time ordered on the R-Line nearly €2,270 see snip below. They're similar pricing if ordered today.

matrix price.jpg

I hope costly replacement won't be an issue if I change the car next year.
I know on my previous car - Mazda 323 Hatchback fixed LED headlamp would cost around €700 to replace. They weren't matrix or even auto beam dip! On that Mazda price the VW option wasn't too bad cost initially, also came with dynamic indicators and different rear clusters. I do indeed shudder to think what the VW IQ Lights would cost to replace :eek:

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
o_O and that's with a 28% discount - 1 unit vs. what the customer pays originally for four clusters. I know this is a silly question but why can't these be produced with replaceable modules - like back in the day you just replaced the part that was worn out / broken. I suppose if we knew the true figures a VW Golf that costs 10's of thousands costs VW about half that or less to manufacture.

Reactions: tos

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
o_O and that's with a 28% discount - 1 unit vs. what the customer pays originally for four clusters. I know this is a silly question but why can't these be produced with replaceable modules - like back in the day you just replaced the part that was worn out / broken. I suppose if we knew the true figures a VW Golf that costs 10's of thousands costs VW about half that or less to manufacture.
The individual modules can be replaced, here’s an example on eBay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37435682...p2LCNeJSEm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

mageor

Passed Driver's Ed
Good afternoon to you all. I own the 2020 Style GolfMk8 with the led plus headlights.... Is it possible to install the matrix headlights to my own car as an upgrade? Is coding needed? Is the local workshop capable and obliged to do the coding?

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
The individual modules can be replaced, here’s an example on eBay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37435682...p2LCNeJSEm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Interesting price, which type of headlight unit are these? also apart from the optional matrix headlights, what's the difference between the standard LED headlights and the enhanced / upgraded units supplied on the Mk8, looking at the VW Ireland website these three are still available as standard or optional.

Last edited:

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry this took so long (I did say weeks but it turned into months) but yeah it looks like mine have the same light pattern.

Attachments

• PXL_20230911_192533794.jpg
    PXL_20230911_192533794.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56