GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R: RPMs jump and re-catch during acceleration

lamboravi

I don't know much about the ECS clutches, but if it is slipping within 10,000 miles, that means the clutch was not heavy duty enough for your set-up. That's assuming you're not constantly riding the clutch or doing 5k launches all the time... I know it sucks, but you'll need to try a more aggressive clutch.
The ECS Stage 2 clutch/flywheel kit is rated to 400 ft-lbs, whereas my APR Stage 1 tune, according to APR's website, produces peak torque of only 311 ft-lbs. So I felt confident when I purchased the setup. Definitely not riding the clutch or inflicting such levels of abuse.

I've thought about going with a South Bend Stage 2 (also rated to 400 ft-lbs) but I'd like to be sure it's not going to slip again under the same conditions for at least 50,000 miles.

Fast-R

Passed Driver's Ed
This is why I recommended the clutch combo I'm using on two platforms.. I' know I have more power and torque, but I've used the clutchmasters FX400 and a bunch of other stage 2/3 clutches over the years and the DXD is the first clutch I've had that can take the power, last a ling time and not behave too much different than stock..

Let us know what you end up doing..

cmesh12R

I've been having this same issue with my 2012 R. Noticed it on a Tuesday morning just slightly, by the time I left work that day, this exact issue, even at low RPM (2000 and below) was significantly worse and it is occurring as low as 2nd gear. That Tuesday night I went out for a test drive on empty roads and with varying degrees of acceleration, I was able replicate the problem is all gears (1-6): engine revving up 2000-3000 RPM then back down as much as 80-90% of that until it catches. It is now Wednesday and I don't even feel comfortable driving on my commute to work (heavy traffic the entire way).

Vehicle details:
- unmodified
- original clutch/flywheel
- daily driver
- moderately aggressive driver (but rarely more than 85%
- owner since 2017 (72K miles when bought), first occurrence of this issue

I've read this entire thread and several others. The consensus seems to be that the clutch can't handle the higher torque in higher gears at its old age. But when this occurs in all gears, is that just an indication of entirely busted clutch? Has this issue every progressed so quickly for anyone else?

I am willing to splurge for the right clutch if that's what I need. Sounds to me like I should get something that can handle quite a bit more than the specified peak torque...

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I've been having this same issue with my 2012 R. Noticed it on a Tuesday morning just slightly, by the time I left work that day, this exact issue, even at low RPM (2000 and below) was significantly worse and it is occurring as low as 2nd gear. That Tuesday night I went out for a test drive on empty roads and with varying degrees of acceleration, I was able replicate the problem is all gears (1-6): engine revving up 2000-3000 RPM then back down as much as 80-90% of that until it catches. It is now Wednesday and I don't even feel comfortable driving on my commute to work (heavy traffic the entire way).

Vehicle details:
- unmodified
- original clutch/flywheel
- daily driver
- moderately aggressive driver (but rarely more than 85%
- owner since 2017 (72K miles when bought), first occurrence of this issue

I've read this entire thread and several others. The consensus seems to be that the clutch can't handle the higher torque in higher gears at its old age. But when this occurs in all gears, is that just an indication of entirely busted clutch? Has this issue every progressed so quickly for anyone else?

I am willing to splurge for the right clutch if that's what I need. Sounds to me like I should get something that can handle quite a bit more than the specified peak torque...
To me, it sounds like you and the OP are having clutch problems due to your driving habits. You should never be using a foot full of throttle in highway gears unless you are already going far above legal speed limits. If you need that much throttle, you should be downshifting a gear or two.

It may be that the OEM clutches in the R's aren't entirely up to the task, but having owned manual cars almost exclusively my opinion is that premature clutch wear is almost always caused by bad driving habits.