GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R > STI according to Motor Trend, but it wasn't easy

Sonnytron

Ready to race!
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1503_2015_subaru_wrx_sti_vs_2015_volkswagen_golf_r/

Key Notes:
Around the undulating 2.21 miles of MRLS, the STI gripped and drifted for an impressive time of 1:47.16 -- quick enough to place it 0.42 second ahead of the 2006 Porsche Cayman S and just 0.44 second behind the 2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed but an eye-opening 1.15 seconds behind the Golf R's 1:46.01. Why is the more powerful STI that much slower?

"All in all, the Subaru is a more enjoyable and satisfying driver's car due to the adjustability of the AWD system."

"The Volkswagen is gorgeous, whereas the STI is simply not," senior features editor Jonny Lieberman said. "I'd go so far as to say the Subaru is like a blistered Corolla."

I told you all that shit looked like a souped up Corolla.

Meet the all new 2015 Subaru WRX STI:

Taiso0019

Ready to race!
Damn... I gots to stop reading about the new R. I freaking want one!
Same here I'm thinking we're gonna have a new R plus the GTi in this house in the not so far future...

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I think I've read too much about the R. I think.I'm going to trade in my GTI on an R. Honestly it's my realizing dream car. The only other car I really want to own in my life sometime in the next 20 years is an R8.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I love my new 2015 STi. The car pictured is not bad looking at all. I dont miss my GTi and I consider it a great car. This is my first Subaru and its alot of fun and the article nails it as far as a more engaging drive. Im glad the AUTOMATIC GTi is faster. It should be with that gearbox. In the end it doesnt matter. All that matters is that you like what you drive.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I love my new 2015 STi. The car pictured is not bad looking at all. I dont miss my GTi and I consider it a great car. This is my first Subaru and its alot of fun and the article nails it as far as a more engaging drive. Im glad the AUTOMATIC GTi is faster. It should be with that gearbox. In the end it doesnt matter. All that matters is that you like what you drive.

Nail on the head. I agree and I drive a DSG. I'll be likely getting a DSG R because I think its a more complete package. But in the end, its all up to what you personally like best and thinks works best for your life. I think I'll eventually get a E36 M3 manual or something similar and make it a track car. I'd love an E30 M3, but those are like Unicorns...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'm glad it took Subaru 12 years of doing nothing and VW 11 years of slowly pecking away to finally get this result.

Finally, the superior interior has performace to back it up.

New STI engine rumored to be out in 2017, btw...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I hope so. The BRZ is great as-is, but needs to start competing with the 370Z to cut out a larger market for itself. That means only one thing: power.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
I hope so. The BRZ is great as-is, but needs to start competing with the 370Z to cut out a larger market for itself. That means only one thing: power.

BRZ would have been great "as-is" 15 years ago.