GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good price on a base model GTI

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Scotaku said:
I catch you, but "invoice" is still an imaginary number and we both know it.

maybe one of you guy's could fly to Germany, go to the factory where they make Vdub's and total up how much it costs to build one of these cars. Then we'll all feel better about the word "invoice."

:clap:

Srt4toGTI

Ready to race!
Yeah, i have plenty of time to look around. I'm going tomorrow to take it for a test drive. Hopefully i'll get a different salesman. This will be the first six speed i've ever driven. Should be fun. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Thanks again.

Srt4toGTI

Ready to race!
Scotaku said:
Remember, be polite about it. Even when they get rude, just keep a cool head and stick to your price. Your patience will be tested and it's true that good things come to those who wait.

As for Tony Robbins, I'll take his island in Fiji but that Superman meets Jay Leno jaw... :bonk:

Ha, i could live with that jaw if i was banking the same as him! :tongue:

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Scotaku said:
:biggrin: That's on The List but my wife has been to Germany and has no desire to ever return. I'm thinking one of these days I'll take a Man Vacation either by myself or with some guy friends to the Fatherland et al. No architecture tours and art museums or famous monuments. Just factory to factory from Wolfsburg to Stuttgart to Maranello and track to track from Spa to Monza to the 'Ring. Me, my helmet, and a rucksack of clean clothes. Top it off with the GP in Monaco and grunt like Tim The Toolman all the way home. :laugh:

Man, sounds like a trip I could totally dig!

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
ewoo said:
Man, sounds like a trip I could totally dig!

If you buy a Porsche 911 Turbo. Porsche will fly you out to Germany, let you inspect the plant, allow you to drive YOUR car around the Autobahn for a couple day's, then ship your car to your front door step. Pretty good for around 120K... I like to think of the GTI as the 20 somethings Porsche 911 Turbo.

:smoking:

Srt4toGTI

Ready to race!
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
If you buy a Porsche 911 Turbo. Porsche will fly you out to Germany, let you inspect the plant, allow you to drive YOUR car around the Autobahn for a couple day's, then ship your car to your front door step. Pretty good for around 120K... I like to think of the GTI as the 20 somethings Porsche 911 Turbo.

:smoking:

Yeah, maybe the 20 thousand something Porshe. :wink:

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Invoice is a real number, what you and I will never know is about other monies they may earn based on sales numbers. I'm just saying dealers aren't all the crooks they're portrayed as being. Every business is out to make money and I don't think there is another one where you know anything close to their "cost", which is the automotive industry's own problem, they gave it out. With Ford and Chrysler, actual manuf. employee's get invoice less the holdback.
I'm done. :) Yes, I'd love to go to Germany and drive various cars flat out. Discussing invoicing with anyone would not be on my list.

Srt4toGTI

Ready to race!
Yeah, the salesman wasn't seeming to budge from invoice. He was trying to tell me that invoice was was he paid for the car. So he wouldn't be making any money off of it if he sold it to me for $21,500 out the door with 0 options. He said it wasn't even close. And acted like I, like IIIII wasthe crook. Oh man. I just wanted to leave right then. But i just sort of laughed and listened to his little talk about the price he'll give me is the BEST he can do.

Ha. Just thought that was funny.

But the car was a real dream to drive. So much more smooth then my SRT4. It didn't even seem that much slower. I'm sure my car is much faster when you punch it, but the GTI really surprised me with it's low end torque.

I'd like to get one, but i'm not going to budge on my price, and the dealers around here don't seem to want to help. So i'm between a rock and a hard place. But i guess i'll just enjoy my SRT4 in the time being!

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
What price did he offer you on the car? What did you offer him? C'mon guys, ease up some. People were paying sticker, that is, MSRP plus some to buy those SRT4's!!!!! People acted like getting one for sticker was a deal!! If you're at invoice or even invoice plus a few hundred, you're getting a good deal period. You won't see me heading to a broker to buy the money to own and run my own dealership. Way too much hassle and too many people telling you how much you make.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Scotaku - Curious how you think your approach would apply to ordering a car. My current plan is to order a 5-door GTI in a couple weeks. Since they won't even be delivered to dealers for another ~3 months I wonder if dealers have the same motivation to make the deal. Any idea how "pre-selling" a car 3 months out factors into their decision making when the deal is negotiated at the time of order? Honestly, I'm satisfied paying 2-3% over invoice...that's better than 95% of the general public does.

Shifty

Pull it shave it paint it
Car(s)
2002 TDI New Beetle
When the dealership here in OKC jerked me around, I made a phonecall to Stevens VW in Wichita and did a deal over the phone in less than an hour. We made the drive up to Wichita that same day (about 120 miles).

I drove my GTI off the lot for $20,250. That was with no options, but did have monster mats and gorilla gear trunk mat. I was very happy with the deal. If you can get dealers to compete that's your best bet. I simply told the guys in Wichita that if they could make it worth my while I would drive up that day and buy a car. That made them salivate and suddenly the car went from $22,900 to $20,250 right over the phone. ;)