GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Meat

rack rack 'em
as meat said, no collisions, and fast on grass is def. not a racing simulator.

yeah I know. Everyone I know that likes the game calls it "the ultimate racing simulator" but when you point these things out they start mumbling about the "advanced physics" and the telemetric test that the designers did.....it's all propaganda, hell the box even says "the real driving simulator"....bunch of lies

TarmacSpecial

Terror On Two Wheels
yeah I know. Everyone I know that likes the game calls it "the ultimate racing simulator" but when you point these things out they start mumbling about the "advanced physics" and the telemetric test that the designers did.....it's all propaganda, hell the box even says "the real driving simulator"....bunch of lies

Yeah, it's definitely more a game that a true simiulator. Although certain aspects of the acceleration, braking, and handling dynamics are relatively honest.

Let's face it, if it was a true simulator it wouldn't sell. It's needs to be somewhat forgiving for the average gamer so that the don't quit out of frustration immediately.

Personally I'm not looking to play simulation, I would rather just do. I play games to play games and get away with things I'd never be able to in reality.

Although, I can see how some purists may get frustrated regarding Polyphony Digital/Sony's marketing ploy, but it's kinda par for the course when it comes to such things in the world of marketing.

At any rate, I finally picked up GT5:p, and I'm quite happy playing it with my Logitech GT4 wheel and in 1080i at 110" projected on my wall. :cool: Online play is quite a treat on a 10mb connection. :biggrin:

TarmacSpecial

Terror On Two Wheels
x2 they will juice it as much as they can

imo GT will never get anywhere as fun as FORZA, you cant even mod your car in GT :mad:

I dunno I never got into Forza. It's just...different. Kinda like using a Mac if you've been using PC's since the 80's.

True, you can't mod in GT5:p, but every other GT5 you could mod. Once I have Kimi's Ferrari F1 car I could care less about modding and will smoke any modded car anyways. :biggrin: Seriously once I got the Minolta and F1 in GT4 I rarely drove anything else except rally cars on the rally stages.

I do miss the "Racing" mod from GT1 and GT2 that would convert the car into a race liviried version. I hope that comes back in the full version of GT5.

Don't be surprised if we get more playable GT content downloadable via the Internet, and that GT5:p owners will get some kind of bonus when playing the full GT5.

TarmacSpecial

Terror On Two Wheels
110" projection? That's got to be an experience!

Indeed.. Especially with 7.1 sound. :biggrin: Nowadays, I only go to the movies if it's playing on IMAX.

$500 and a RGB to Component cable, and you can have an HD DLP projector. Ok, you need a dark room, but still, 40" (admittedly at a superior 1080P) is going to be 2-3 times as much!

I watch movies, sports, play video games, all on the projector, I will never have a regular TV for my primary home entertaiment area again. Eventually I will get a 1080P projector, but they are crazy money right now.

The only killer is the lamp. It lasts about 2000 hours and costs $350 to replace. My first one lasted a year and half, and I think it's still worth having that screen that takes up your whole wall.

dj-gti

I guess you guys don't read much or use Google. GT5 will for the first time have damage in the game and for the driving on grass, its still rumored that they are work on improving the penalty system. As far as the mods goes, so you can't put a body kit or change the color of the car again. Go in a corner and cry yourself to sleep. You can still change power output, height, spring roll and etc just like Forza2 but the affects will be more real. In the demo once you pass class a,b, and c you are giving and option to tune your rides to your liking. The MKV is in the game once you update but I have found it to be slow when racing it online on the high speed ring but that comes down to who is driving it.

GLI Fahrenheit

I guess you guys don't read much or use Google. GT5 will for the first time have damage in the game and for the driving on grass, its still rumored that they are work on improving the penalty system. As far as the mods goes, so you can't put a body kit or change the color of the car again. Go in a corner and cry yourself to sleep. You can still change power output, height, spring roll and etc just like Forza2 but the affects will be more real. In the demo once you pass class a,b, and c you are giving and option to tune your rides to your liking. The MKV is in the game once you update but I have found it to be slow when racing it online on the high speed ring but that comes down to who is driving it.

Here is real for ya...

I lapped Daytona last night in 49.6xx with a GTR. Jimmie Johnson's pole winning lap for the Daytona 500 this year was 48.109. I'm having a really hard time believing that the GTR is only 1.5 seconds of a lap slower than a tube chassis race car with at least 100 more horsepower (because of the restrictor plate). Hell the GTR even beat the ZO6 Corvette on Daytona by 2 seconds. The best i could muster in the ZO6 was about 51.7xx (somewhere in that neighborhood).

Are you going to honestly tell me that on an oval like Daytona the GTR is that much of a better car than the Corvette? I don't believe it. I could understand if the GTR was handing the vette its ass on a track like Tsukaba, or Sendai. Hell even Infinity raceway. But not on Daytona.

The GTR is 700 lbs heavier and has 25 less horsepower. I'm not buying it. To me the team at polyphony digital gave that car a little more credit than it deserved.

I also did the last race on A cup last night, can't remember the name of it though. It was on Fuji I believe. Again the GTR is handing an F430 its ass by almost a half straightaway (With the AI drivers), after 2 laps. I call BS. Forza doesn't have that sort of blatant bias with any cars.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GTR, always have. But this is a car that perfectly demonstrates the inherent faults with the game. And who gives a shit if they are "working" on damage or fixes for the penalty system. They released a game and made customers pay for it. There is no reason for it to have faults or play like shit. This isn't a beta test.

TarmacSpecial

Terror On Two Wheels
This isn't a beta test.

Seems like one to me.

Principle aside, $40 to play the "prologue" of a game that isn't going to be out until next year, will get updated along the way and getting rewarded in some way for owning when the full version comes out isn't so bad.

I'm with you on the GT-R though. It's a bit nuts. However, it's entirely possible that they are tweaking the balance of cars along the way.

dj-gti

GLI Fahrenheit: I was speaking on the affects between Forza2 and GT5p, not real world. Now in the real world the GTR has beaten the Corvette and the F430 at the Nurburgring so far. I don't know if the GTR has been tested anywhere else. Link: http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=3&fID=0&tID=10073. So why is it hard to believe it can't beat the Corvette on the oval track? They both can handle turns well and hit 200+ mph. If I had to bet on a winner I wouldn't be able to pick a winner because really it would come down to the drivers and not the cars. Now I can agree that they gave the GTR a boost somewhere. They helped with the design of the car but at the same time it holds it's own in the real world.

In most of the A class races the 1 and 2 spot belong to the GTR and F430. I have watched them go at it and have seen them beat each other. Sometimes the GTR wins and sometimes the F430 wins.

Your quote "who gives a shit if they are "working" on damage or fixes for the penalty system. They released a game and made customers pay for it." First it's a demo. You knew that when you bought it. Second for the series to finally work out to putting damage and penalties is a big step ahead for the series. If the forza1 didn't have damage but the company told you in forza2 they would put it in wouldn't you be hyped that they are. You and me bought forza2 and still have to pay around $5 for almost every download pack. Why isn't that free? So your paying the same for GT5p + GT5($100) as Forza2 + downloads($70-90).

I could be wrong but when has any company has put out a demo that has updates applies to their demo? They know it will be another year or so before the finish game is out so they give us the fans a $40 demo but at the same gives us more than most $40-60 racing games. People buy the demo wanting the real game. You knew when you bought it that it was a demo so why complain?? Are you not getting your money worth? Now if they said $40 to be in the beta I bet people would pay to just be in the beta. Beta's are limited to a certain number of people. Would you rather only a few people playing it and showing you what you have to wait almost year or so to play. Are you not happy to be able to play a great demo? If you want the finish game see you in 2009 sometime but in the mean time, they will be other's like me who are enjoying the demo for what's it worth.

Sorry about the long post..

Last edited:

GLI Fahrenheit

No worries DJ.

I'm not here to flame anyone.

I think I was just expecting alot more in terms of car and class balance. I know that the GTR beat the ZO6 on The 'Ring by 4 seconds. I just don't understand how the GTR can beat it on a 2.5 mile oval track by over 2 seconds per lap. If you are going purely by power to weight ratios, the vette should smoke it, but when you add in suspension and drivers to the mix it does get complicated.

Polyphony Digital has been working on the game a loooong time. I remember when it was supposed to be a launch title for the PS3, and its now almost 2 years later and we still don't have the full game.

A glorified demo it is, but if I was PD or Kazunori Yamauchi, I would never have let the game leave my studio in its current condition. I'm just really pissed that I'm let down yet again by Gran Turismo. I felt the same way after GT4, that game just felt like a graphical update.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
Although, I can see how some purists may get frustrated regarding Polyphony Digital/Sony's marketing ploy, but it's kinda par for the course when it comes to such things in the world of marketing.

:

Sony's entire game is marketing.

$20 says Forza 3 is out before GT5

EDIT: HD Projector is the only way to fly

TarmacSpecial

Terror On Two Wheels
Sony's entire game is marketing.

Just about anyone. Take your pick, you'll not find a lesser evil. Certainly not Microsoft.

Perhaps Forza 3 will be out before GT5. Thing is, if you're not into Forza, that doesn't mean anything.

People like to make comparisons, but aside from the fact that they are driving games, they are apples and oranges.

It's kinda like Ford vs. Chevy, or BMW vs. Mercedes, PS3 vs. 360 some people will like both, and some will always like one or the other.

The reasons why are legion, but it usually boils down to intagibles and personal taste.

DarkstaR

dope freshhhhhhhhhhh
Just about anyone. Take your pick, you'll not find a lesser evil. Certainly not Microsoft.

Perhaps Forza 3 will be out before GT5. Thing is, if you're not into Forza, that doesn't mean anything.

People like to make comparisons, but aside from the fact that they are driving games, they are apples and oranges.

It's kinda like Ford vs. Chevy, or BMW vs. Mercedes, PS3 vs. 360 some people will like both, and some will always like one or the other.

The reasons why are legion, but it usually boils down to intagibles and personal taste.

:word: 100% AGREED. the whole debate is ridiculous (although it's nice to see what people's opinions are)

with that said, I fucking love GT5, and I'm so fucking happy that they have the Amuse S2000 in the demo. :biggrin:

dj-gti

I too was upset at the length of time it take them to make their games but when I found out that in GT4 it took 2 weeks just for the team to make one car in the gamer I was shocked a bit. I watched the video that came with the game and it looks like they still have the same staff crew working on this game. So I guessing with everything they want to include it's going to take awhile longer to make this game. I'm sure it would be worth the wait (it better be or some azz kicking will have to take place). Hey they threw us a demo for the time being. It can't fill the void of a true game but it's a start.

Now if rockstar could have put out a GTA IV demo...