GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gran Turismo Sport - Review

vincevtr

Ready to race!
For those of you looking to pick up this new release here are some important points you may want to know before purchasing the game. The game is for a very, VERY different audience than that of forza.

Gameplay - the game itself, during racing handles very well, each car feels extremely different, and yes it does have the MK7 GTI 2dr (first car i bought) and boy you dont ever forget that it is a FF car, however i find the GTI did corner well. Driving mechanics are realistic and challenging, you have to be extremely strategic on where exactly you brake and gas. All this imo makes it more rewarding to win a race.

Content - now this is where the game comes up short imo. There are 160 cars but let me be clear, out of those 160, only about 30% id say are production cars, the rest are actual race cars. For me, i would like to purchase actual production cars and use them instead of race specd cars. Maps are limited but its cool how you can choose many times of the day you can race in. Racing online is good. I feel like the game definitely focuses on actual racing as a sport and the culture of it (Theres a couple of videos on racing etiquette before you can race online lol) All the online races are scheduled universally so you cannot just jump into a race anytime you want which i think is very cool, it makes it feel more legitimate.

Customization - The customization in this game is very limited. You cannot upgrade parts and stuff (not that i know of, ive heard as you progress it will open up but nothing yet) you can tune to stage 1,2,3,4. weight reduction, ride height, camber all that stuff but you cannot go and buy a supercharger or add better brakes to your car. I found this to be a major let down but one plus side to this is that it makes the races more about driver skill instead of what mods you have on your car which makes it more rewarding.

Car photography - If you are any bit interested in car photography, then this game is amazing. The amount of backdrops they have are insane and they are all realistic to whatever car you drop in there. The "scape" mode(what the photo mode is called) is very powerful and you can adjust all kinds of camera settings and photo editing things.

All in all id give this game maybe a 6.5/10. It is a spectacular racing game but is severely lacking in content. It needs more cars, and more tracks. More online races options. Customization is also limited. If it was intended to be limited in order to give a more technical aspect to racing then I can get behind that, others may not however. The game is fun, dont get me wrong, but after awhile its lack of content kind of leaves you hanging. If it had more cars, and more races the game would be a solid 8/10 imo, good news is that this can be fixed through DLCs i guess

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Been wondering when someone would post game stuff. Great review! Are you using VR? I have a few racing games, my fav being Assetto Corsa. Haven't played it in over a year because I got pissed at my crappy desktop wheel setup. Planning to get a race rig (on the floor, that you climb into like a car) and pair it with VR (probably Oculus Rift as reviews like Rift better than Vive for racing sims).

I will eventually look into Gran Turismo Sport. It would be fun to drive a virtual MK7 while owning a real one!

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Been wondering when someone would post game stuff. Great review! Are you using VR? I have a few racing games, my fav being Assetto Corsa. Haven't played it in over a year because I got pissed at my crappy desktop wheel setup. Planning to get a race rig (on the floor, that you climb into like a car) and pair it with VR (probably Oculus Rift as reviews like Rift better than Vive for racing sims).

I will eventually look into Gran Turismo Sport. It would be fun to drive a virtual MK7 while owning a real one!

no i am not using VR. Vr does sound sweet and would be the best way to experience these games. oculus would be amazing if your Pc can handle it.

and yea it is fun to drive a mk7 in the game and then you step outside and its in your driveway haha

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
no i am not using VR. Vr does sound sweet and would be the best way to experience these games. oculus would be amazing if your Pc can handle it.

and yea it is fun to drive a mk7 in the game and then you step outside and its in your driveway haha

Plus, you know, all racing gamers will eventually have VR. It is a great thing to look forward to!

BanjoFood

Passed Driver's Ed
Completely caught off guard when I started playing it. I'm used to the previous versions of Gran Turismo on the PS2. No offline campaign modes (as far as I can tell) and I do miss buying mods like before, but the big plus is the driving characteristics and handling.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Completely caught off guard when I started playing it. I'm used to the previous versions of Gran Turismo on the PS2. No offline campaign modes (as far as I can tell) and I do miss buying mods like before, but the big plus is the driving characteristics and handling.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

same here, my main experience was GT3 a-spec for ps2 and ive sunk too many hours into that game.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
This forum really needs a good simulators thread, there's so many good and interesting things about them. I personally primarily play Assetto Corsa (661 hours on steam, so maybe a little too much...), and just got a G29 the other day which is really an amazing experience. I've never played Gran Turismo, and only a little bit of forza, but it's hard to fathom anything nearly as in-depth of a simulation as Assetto Corsa, which as far as I can tell simulates everything there is to simulate in a physical model of a car. Assetto Corsa doesn't have a mk7 in it's stock game, but I've taken the time to mod it in. I found a mk6 GTI mod and went into it's data files and messed around with them until I got it as close to my car as I could be bothered. It's insane how much data is in there, everything from co-ordinates of suspension points, to every last detail about each tire you could ever imagine, etc...

For VR I really want to try it out with a proper setup. I have an Oculus DK1 from way back in the day, and have played on that which is amazing, but from my brief experience with the Vive I am missing out on a ton.

Last edited:

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
This forum really needs a good simulators thread, there's so many good and interesting things about them. I personally primarily play Assetto Corsa (661 hours on steam, so maybe a little too much...), and just got a G29 the other day which is really an amazing experience. I've never played Gran Turismo, and only a little bit of forza, but it's hard to fathom anything nearly as in-depth of a simulation as Assetto Corsa, which as far as I can tell simulates everything there is to simulate in a physical model of a car. Assetto Corsa doesn't have a mk7 in it's stock game, but I've taken the time to mod it in. I found a mk6 GTI mod and went into it's data files and messed around with them until I got it as close to my car as I could be bothered. It's insane how much data is in there, everything from co-ordinates of suspension points, to every last detail about each tire you could ever imagine, etc...

For VR I really want to try it out with a proper setup. I have an Oculus DK1 from way back in the day, and have played on that which is amazing, but from my brief experience with the Rift I am missing out on a ton.

Awesome! Your way farther into it than me. 661 Hours, geez. You have lived on that thing! You have to be damn good on it by now. I only got about 10 hours, and was just starting to have fun and able to keep up with the AI on easier settings. I have a G27 wheel/pedals, which was doing the job but I need to get a more solid mount. I kept breaking it away from the desktop, it was so exciting :D Do you have a seat rig?

Yes, the Rift should be incredible. Most of the sim channels on Youtube rave about the realism. Seems like VR is made for racing. Heck, even the pro drivers train on it! I went all thru the shooters a decade ago- UT, Quake, Half-Life and a bunch of others. Just got sick of them. Racing sims feel so much better. Eventually I will have to ask you about stuff on Corsa! :)

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Awesome! Your way farther into it than me. 661 Hours, geez. You have lived on that thing! You have to be damn good on it by now. I only got about 10 hours, and was just starting to have fun and able to keep up with the AI on easier settings. I have a G27 wheel/pedals, which was doing the job but I need to get a more solid mount. I kept breaking it away from the desktop, it was so exciting :D Do you have a seat rig?

Yes, the Rift should be incredible. Most of the sim channels on Youtube rave about the realism. Seems like VR is made for racing. Heck, even the pro drivers train on it! I went all thru the shooters a decade ago- UT, Quake, Half-Life and a bunch of others. Just got sick of them. Racing sims feel so much better. Eventually I will have to ask you about stuff on Corsa! :)

Yea, it takes a lot of time before you can become even half decent at Assetto Corsa. I think I was about 50 hours in before I could even drive around a track without going off. My first IRL track day was literally the day before I got Assetto Corsa, and my most recent track day was about a year ago (with more recent autocrosses). From my experience with that I can say the vast majority of what you will learn and feel in Assetto Corsa directly translates over to real life, and I have become a vastly better driver because of my time in simulators. Most of that time was either with a cheap wheel or PS3 controller hooked up to my computer, so the G29 is my first (long overdue) step towards getting a good setup. I will be making a handbrake in the near future, and at the moment I am using a box propped up against my bed to prevent my chair from rolling back when I hit the brakes. Based on my track record with my other hobbies, it's only a matter of time before I have everything anyone could ever want in a simulator setup :p.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie

For VR I really want to try it out with a proper setup. I have an Oculus DK1 from way back in the day, and have played on that which is amazing, but from my brief experience with the Vive I am missing out on a ton.

Nothing touches a good pc sim. I personally love iracing