GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs SI... reality sets in

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
A lot of Japanese engines have no low end torque, except for Nissans.
the 350z has a whole load right at 0 rpms! haha

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
you got that nissan part right.....i have a 98 maxima and a 03 pathfinder and no lack of torque there....maybe too much sometimes....but then again cant have too much :) ...

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Nissan has always had torque in their cars. Think it is because they started out as a truck motor company....I think. I used to have a civic and they have no idea what boost is. They can't call VTEC boost......it's a cam change, way differant. I was and still am a honda nut...good quality and reliable cars. I wont go back till they come out with a turbo car.......or I can afford the S2000. I just don't think I can ever go back to a non turbo car.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
my QR25DE turbo on my 05 spec-v made 320WHP when i put my turbo in and tuned it. thats how i ofund out the hardway that soo much power = teh suck for FWD.

alf

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I think it's just some inexperienced drivers. I definitely noticed when Vtec kicked in on the new Si. The noise and the power increase into a crazy growl. At least on my friends it did. I got to drive it my myself with no one in the car and you can feel the pull increase. No 4 bangers are fun when passengers are on board. My fast hates driving with a passenger as it can tell the pull of the pedal has been reduced.

:evil:

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
Damned right it's squrtable. I just crossed 600 miles, so I'm starting to tap into the 4-5k rpm range ever so often....it's like piloting a fighter jet...so quick, yet so precise.

Everyone knows torque deficiency is Honda's shortcoming...different power philosphy.... that's why, as the gentleman a few posts up so eloquently put it, my 04 Spec-v was so damned fun. Your basic NISMO bolt ons, coupled with the relatively light chassis and the limited slip made that car one hell of a good time. It just got too harsh after a while. Nissan essentially makes Japanese muscle cars...take an economy car, drop a big old 'ingine in 'er, and roll on, baby. Good cheap fun...like some sorority girls I knew once. I'll miss it for what it was. I'll miss them, too. :biggrin:

BlackmagicMKV

Touring Car Champion
Yeah I have a 91 nissan 240sx and it is very torquey... The main reason why I got it was to set it up for drifting. The car isnt that bad but I wanna a GTI so I got one and now the nissan is for sale.....If anyone is interested let me know I'm selling it with a SR20DET engine that has not been installed.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
loccusst said:
Nissan has always had torque in their cars. Think it is because they started out as a truck motor company....I think.

Believe it or not, they started out as a motor car company. Here is a link for your viewing pleasure (cool site BTW).

http://www.histomobile.com/histomob/internet/61/histo02.htm

As for the maxima and Z having torque (comments made by other posters), well, they are both powered by sixes, which typically have a pretty good torque to HP ratio. Even Honda's sixes seem pretty balanced--it's the vtec motors that lack low-end.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
trick000 said:
I was browsing 8thcivic.com (I was strongly considering an SI) and found this guys post. Poor SI owners are looking for that missing torque. :p

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7204&page=1

And also looking for a good spell and grammar check---I simply cannot believe that whoever posted that comment on the Honda board was allowed to graduate from high school . . . .:biggrin:

And also, from the post on the civic board:

"I was in 1st and 2nd while hitting it"

You were doing WHAT?:eek: :eek: :eek: