GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTIfan99 mk8 GTI 380 S review and "build" thread.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Time to go APR or 034 broooooo

J/K, I'm sure Cobb will have this worked out pretty soon.

Jmitchell4873

Drag Racing Champion
Consider Stratified. Positive experience with them.
Btw, didn't EQT make custom tunes for mk7? If so, they'll likely follow suit with mk8 right?
That is actually who I was planning to use for the custom tune. Got my youtube source wires crossed since I just saw a video about United on a dyno shootout.

Jmitchell4873

Drag Racing Champion
I think the stock fuel system is up for E85 on the stock turbo, so interesting that you're going MPI. I thought they did away with MPI in the mk8 in Europe. Can you use the mk7 MPI parts?

I'm keeping it to stage 1+ with an IC. Tune, TIP, intake, maybe a louder exhaust and kill the fake sound. I really don't think I need much more for what I do with the car and will likely remove the weird fogs and put an oil cooler behind one of them.
I'm wanting to go MPI (all sourced from Unitronic) to keep from blasting valves, after my first time. I'm sure the t-stat will be an issue on these cars just like every other EA888, so intake manifold will probably be off several times during my ownership.......but having the option to make more power is also appealing.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I think the stock fuel system is up for E85 on the stock turbo, so interesting that you're going MPI. I thought they did away with MPI in the mk8 in Europe. Can you use the mk7 MPI parts?

I'm keeping it to stage 1+ with an IC. Tune, TIP, intake, maybe a louder exhaust and kill the fake sound. I really don't think I need much more for what I do with the car and will likely remove the weird fogs and put an oil cooler behind one of them.
technically they did away with MPI in 2019 but the ECU still supports it. So does the Mk8 ECU. Not sure if the stock Mk8 manifold is the same or not, but I believe there's at least a few cars that have been retrofitted already.

there's a shitload of small tuners especially in europe who just don't bother advertising so everyone goes with the popular stuff here, but there's people doing all sorts of stuff on the mk8 already, we just don't hear about it since Cobb is slow as fuck since everything has to go through CARB first.

Jmitchell4873

Drag Racing Champion
technically they did away with MPI in 2019 but the ECU still supports it. So does the Mk8 ECU. Not sure if the stock Mk8 manifold is the same or not, but I believe there's at least a few cars that have been retrofitted already.

there's a shitload of small tuners especially in europe who just don't bother advertising so everyone goes with the popular stuff here, but there's people doing all sorts of stuff on the mk8 already, we just don't hear about it since Cobb is slow as fuck since everything has to go through CARB first.
Intake manifold on the Mk8 has the blanks for the injectors.

Unitronic has a full kit with LPFP, rail, injectors, harness and ethanol sensor for around $1600, the tune is another $400…..once it’s ready for release. I was offered a small discount to run the beta, but wanted to run the Pmax on 91/93 for a year or so and do a valve blast when I upgrade.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Added chinesium rear spoiler. Looks really good from 10 feet away. I spent 2 hours with polish and an orbital buffer to make it look meh. It was worth the $100, not a penny more.
20240521_211028.jpg
20240521_210852.jpg

Jmitchell4873

Drag Racing Champion
Added chinesium rear spoiler. Looks really good from 10 feet away. I spent 2 hours with polish and an orbital buffer to make it look meh. It was worth the $100, not a penny more.View attachment 305072View attachment 305073
Besides the paint quality, was there any other things that you found lacking? I thought the fit on mine was pretty solid for the price. I would like to have mine paint matched or covered in gloss black next time I need any body shop work.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Besides the paint quality, was there any other things that you found lacking? I thought the fit on mine was pretty solid for the price. I would like to have mine paint matched or covered in gloss black next time I need any body shop work.
No, paint is the only complaint. I went all black, so no issue with paint matching, it's a good match for the roof and mirror caps, it's the massive amount of orange peel that got me. I could have rattle can painted it better.

But it looks ok after 2 hours of work with polish and a buffer and a couple coats the wax.

The fit is actually pretty good. I used 3M windshield adhesive to attach it and no creaks of rattles either. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't cause issues with the hatch struts not being able to properly support it. I've seen people have issues with that with stock mk8 R's, so I was a little worried.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

2024 GTI is a new ROM, so I'm patiently waiting for Cobb to release support so I can slap a tune on it.

Just for shits and grins, I'll take it to a test and tune at the strip in Gainesville. My 19 6 spd did a 13.7 with EQT 91 Oct stage 1 tune on stock IC in 90 deg heat. It'll be interesting to see what 91 Oct stage 1 tune can do on a mk8. Not a lot of info out there, but I think people are getting around 13.3 to 13.5 with the 6 spd and a tune. Then I want to slap an E85 stg 1 tune and see what it does. I'm not a big drag racer, but I'll do it for science.

Last edited:

Jmitchell4873

Drag Racing Champion
2024 GTI is a new ROM, so I'm patiently waiting for Cobb to release support so I can slap a tune on it.

Just for shits and grins, I'll take it to a test and tune at the strip on Gainesville. My 19 6 spd did a 13.7 with EQT 91 Oct stage 1 tune on stock IC in 90 deg heat. It'll be interesting to see what 91 Oct stage 1 tune can do on a mk8. Not a lot of info out there, but I think people are getting around 13.3 to 13.5 with the 6 spd and a tune. Then I want to slap an E85 stg 1 tune and see what it does. I'm not a big drag racer, but I'll do it for science.
I think you will be in the low-ish 13's........if you can get a clean launch. I don't launch very often, but I'm about 50/50 between riding a razors edge to keep it from bogging, and total wheelspin. The pmax makes my manual a tough car to launch cleanly. I haven't had my Mk8 on the drag strip, but my son really wants to go, so we might make a few passes..........you know, for science. ;)