GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hardcore PC gamers, need your help

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
So what motherboard would you guys recommend? Whats the difference between all of them?

I have an ASUS in my computer. It was a great decision. There are enough ports for what I needed and more than enough for the future. Very reliable.

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
By increasing voltage to the processor you cause it to work overtime, essentially cranking the boost on a turbocharger. My quad core i5 is rated at 3.4ghz, I intend to overclock it past 4ghz.

The more voltage you feed it, the hotter it runs necessitating a better CPU cooler than what comes with the chip. Overclock.net has tons (and I mean tons) of information about it. This is my first "unlocked" processor so we'll see how this goes!

o.o first thing i saw on the website
http://www.overclock.net/t/1345927/intake-or-exhaust

LOL i guess computers are really like cars.

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
You can't go wrong with a quad core Intel i5 (or i7 if you have the cash to spare) 8GB RAM, SSD for the OS, and a GeForce GTX670 or Radeon 7950 for graphics. Also don't overlook the importance of a good case. I have regretted many builds because I cheapened out on the case and they were a pain to build in and work with.

I have used both ASUS and Gigabyte for motherboards over the years and never had an issue with either but the ASUS boards always seemed a bit more robust (for my overclocking needs) and had a larger set of features. For a PSU I highly recommend sticking to brands such as Corsair, Antec and Seasonic.

The [H]ard|OCP Forum is a great resource for info on picking out parts for a build. You can even post a thread in the General Hardware section (fill out the form in the sticky at the top) and you can get some more help with suggestions and recommendations.

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
I think I will just start with a good motherboard and a case. Any case should be a good fit right? Im pretty sure all cases are universal right? And damn the gtx's are expensive. Im sure after the next model comes out the 690 will drop by 300$ like the previous models

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion

Uh, not sure that will fit every case lol

manny2206

Ready to race!
The best advise I can give you, is to try and read about each individual part... its going to take a while but you won't regret it... there are 6xxxxxxxx amount of good motherboards, ram, gpus, cpus.. etc etc... so read on!

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
I think I will just start with a good motherboard and a case. Any case should be a good fit right? Im pretty sure all cases are universal right? And damn the gtx's are expensive. Im sure after the next model comes out the 690 will drop by 300$ like the previous models

Yes and no. You have size standards for motherboards. ATX, mATX and mITX are the three popular ones big to small. I wouldn't bother with mITX as it really requires some sacrifices and a whole lot of smart planning for a build, although can be fun. With most boards these days the only thing you lose going from ATX to mATX is some expansion slots which is not a big deal unless you want multiple graphics cards plus a dedicated sound card and a TV tuner all at the same time. You can always fit a smaller form factor in a larger case (mATX and mITX will always fit in a ATX case but not the other way around).

Uh, not sure that will fit every case lol

So yes that motherboard would fit in any case.

Yes the GTX series are a bit pricey. You need to ask yourself what monitor resolution are you running, what kind of games do you plan on playing and do you care about maxing every last detail in games or not. I personally find it better to pay some money for a single high end card and be set for a couple of years rather than buy a lower end one to save cash only to find it not suitable for a new game later on.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Really, what's the budget we're talking about for a build? I just finished wiring my new PC so I need to get it hooked up to start installing Win8. I'm still updating my previous computer after a fresh Win7 install that my friend wants to give his girlfriend. Hurry up and update you damn thing!

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I know, real exciting way to spend your Saturday night. I'll be socializing all day tomorrow so this is a good time to get my computer straightened out.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Wife is considering letting me build a machine when I go on recruiting duty (provided I have the time). My only PC for almost 5 years is the Dell Inspiron 1720 I'm using now. Originally spent about $1500, came with a Core 2 Duo T5250 (1.5GHz) processor, 2gb RAM, 160GB HDD, read-only optical drive, GeForce 8600M GT (256MB dedicated VRAM, supposedly can share system memory up to 1GB). I'm now running a T7800 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, twin 500GB HDDs, and a DVD burner. Replaced the keyboard twice, the screen bezel, speakers...installed an Intel 4965 ABGN PCI-e mini card and upgraded the Bluetooth module. Not exactly a gaming rig, framerate on Half Life 2 suffers with AA turned on.

Anyone have experience with newer Alienware, Asus G75, Sager/Clevo laptops? I'm aware of the folly of buying a high end laptop that is difficult to upgrade over time, and that Alienware has probably taken a hit in build quality since Dell took over...Not to mention building a desktop PC will probably be cheaper.

I'm thinking of possibly building a home theater PC as a gaming rig since Xbox 360 is showing its technical limitations, and using it for movies as well. Or, a standalone gaming rig that I also use as a media server to stream to the TV's.

Brexin

Ready to race!
I got my computer from puget systems. Amazing company, free lifetime labor even for upgrades and lifetime free technical support. Paid 300 more than if i put it together myself but WAY worth it

Butchered By Auto Correct Using Tapatalk 2

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Anyone have experience with newer Alienware, Asus G75, Sager/Clevo laptops? I'm aware of the folly of buying a high end laptop that is difficult to upgrade over time, and that Alienware has probably taken a hit in build quality since Dell took over...Not to mention building a desktop PC will probably be cheaper.

I'm thinking of possibly building a home theater PC as a gaming rig since Xbox 360 is showing its technical limitations, and using it for movies as well. Or, a standalone gaming rig that I also use as a media server to stream to the TV's.

I tried both the Alienware M17x and the HP dv7t Quad Edition over the summer. Both are quite capable gaming machines and pretty good values too when spec'ed out carefully and bought during good sales. Ultimately I decided to stick with a desktop myself but if you want a gaming laptop I thought both of those were good. The Alienware was a little more expensive but had better options and better build quality - that M17x seemed extremely well put together to me.

Brexin

Ready to race!
Asus and razer have pretty good gaming laptops as well

Butchered By Auto Correct Using Tapatalk 2