GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HD HERO3

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
I would suggest you skip on the top end model. 4K is cool but at 12FPS it's useless. Not to mention you likely have nothing to watch that sort of video on and you'll end up down-converting it anyway. I would save yourself the $100 unless you just really want that remote that it comes with. You could also pick up a used Hero 2 and a wifi backpack. Will allow you to do all the video streaming that the new one does. Could probably pick that up for less than the $300 cost of the Silver model.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I agree 4K on the top of the line model is pointless if you only get 12FPS.

My question is does the top of the line let you go crazy high FPS on 1080. I'd like to be able to do slowmo stuff.

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
There's no way i'm getting the black edition for the 4k, its only 12 fps like you said. But only the black edition gets the FPS hike in all other resolutions. You can do 120fps 720p, what I would use the most, while the other ones only do 60fps. You can also do 60fps 1080p.

Specs comparison: http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras

Qwoz

Roflcopter pilot
Yea there's a reason is only on the 400$ model haha, nobody really wants or needs the 2.7k or 4k.

jbkoopa

Ready to race!
This is like an iPhone 5 to the iPhone 4S users. Somewhat pointless but mostly unnecessary

DerekH

Ready to race!
I would imagine the 4k feature is best used for timelapse or something like a sustained burst mode. My guess is that the frame rates wont get a whole lot better than that until memory card tech gets better. Still pretty cool.

DanSan

meerkat
yea, not a big upgrade for me since i already have the HERO2. already have the wifi bacpack and remote but it would be nice to slim it down. the smartphone app works with both the HERO2 and 3 anyways so not like im losing out. only thing i would have liked is the 1080p @ 60 frames but whatever.

DanSan

meerkat
I lost my gopro snowboarding last winter so I think now it's time for a new one!

what mount did you use for it? been thinking of trying it, not sure if best to go with a standard adhesive mount or something like the surfboard mount

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
what mount did you use for it? been thinking of trying it, not sure if best to go with a standard adhesive mount or something like the surfboard mount

The adhesive mount failed. It actaully failed twice, but I was stupid enough to try it again!

Here is the first time the mount failed:

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
FYI, my local Target store had all the accessories on clearance. I picked up a suction cup, an extra battery, a bag of sticky mounts, and a bag of arms for $5 a piece. That suction cup is $30 by itself and the others retail for $20. If anyone wants some extras I would check out Target soonish...

DanSan

meerkat
My gf works for best buy, she got me the gopro for valentines day. She got them for half off and the accessories were dirt cheap. I've got the screen, backpack and remote, tons of mounts...