GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight alignment - too low?

Paul_W

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi

I took delivery of a 2020 mk8 r-line eTSI this week. Everything is fine except the dipped headlights look like their aiming far too low. Here's a video clip and some screen grabs from my dash cam to give you an example

I only have the standard reflector LED lights, not adaptive one so there's no option to adjust them in the infotainment system. I'd assume there are adjustment screws on the headlights themselves? If these are adjusted, would the auto leveling system need re-calibrating at the dealer or similar?

Thanks

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
With the standard low line LED headlights there should be a manual range control adjustment in the infotainment, In the menus go to - VEHICLE > HEADLIGHTS > HEADLIGHT RANGE CONTROL, check that this is set to Zero before attempting any adjustment.

Attachments

• IMG_3608.jpeg
    IMG_3608.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 51

Paul_W

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ll double check in the morning but I’m pretty sure I don’t have Headlight Range Control in the headlight menu

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
That would mean that you have self levelling!? Has the car been lowered? If so, it would need to be set back to the neutral position with OBDeleven or VCDS, if not, then you can simply raise the adjustment screws by the same amount of turns either side, (6mm Allen key I believe) count the turns so you don’t get lost, probably would only need two maybe three turns if that, the self levelling system would not ‘know’ that you’ve raised them, so it would be unefected and will still function correctly.

Paul_W

Passed Driver's Ed
That would mean that you have self levelling!? Has the car been lowered? If so, it would need to be set back to the neutral position with OBDeleven or VCDS, if not, then you can simply raise the adjustment screws by the same amount of turns either side, (6mm Allen key I believe) count the turns so you don’t get lost, probably would only need two maybe three turns if that, the self levelling system would not ‘know’ that you’ve raised them, so it would be unefected and will still function correctly.

No, the car hasn't been lowered. If it's just a case of adjusting them manually under the bonnet then I'd be reluctant to adjust them myself, I'd probably mess it up and end up blinding oncoming traffic. A trip to the dealer would be a 45 mile round trip so I might as well just take it to the MOT test centre across town and get them to do it properly on their gear. If there's no issue with self leveling having to be recalibrated (?) then it would be the easiest/quickest option

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
No, the car hasn't been lowered. If it's just a case of adjusting them manually under the bonnet then I'd be reluctant to adjust them myself, I'd probably mess it up and end up blinding oncoming traffic. A trip to the dealer would be a 45 mile round trip so I might as well just take it to the MOT test centre across town and get them to do it properly on their gear. If there's no issue with self leveling having to be recalibrated (?) then it would be the easiest/quickest option
Yes, having it done on a beam setter at an MOT place is a good idea if you’re not sure about doing it yourself, The self levelling wouldn’t be effected by manual adjustment, make sure there’s approximately 1/2 tank of fuel in it though, where you set it to would be regarded as the level point, once you add weight in the form of passengers or luggage, the self levelling will adjust the level to your new manually set position, there is an ‘official’ VW procedure to adjust the headlights, [see the attached pages from the workshop manual] but just bringing them up a touch with the adjustment screws, especially while in front of a beam setter, will not negatively effect anything, if you’ve only just bought it though, especially if it was used approved, take it back and have them do it.

Attachments

• IMG_3610.jpeg
    IMG_3610.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3611.jpeg
    IMG_3611.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3613.jpeg
    IMG_3613.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3612.jpeg
    IMG_3612.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 95

Paul_W

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for your help. Good point about the half tank of fuel, I wouldn’t have thought of that. I only filled up the other day so will wait until I’ve used a load of it

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
You can actually adjust the headlights with any amount of fuel in the tank, but, you would have to allow for it when setting the level, and this is only practical when using the official VW adjustment process and software, as a good median when adjusting manually, half a tank is just fine.

bucky208

Had to do the same, skitrip at night on autobahn was dangerous with factory headlight level, way to low! (Auto level)

Paul_W

Passed Driver's Ed
At least I'm not the only one. It did seem a little odd that the car had gone through an MOT a couple of months before I purchased it. I guess it comes down to the competence of the individual test centre