GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight issues: "Check left side low beam headlight"

iblack0467

Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
I've been dealing with a left headlight working intermittently for about two months and it seems to have gone out for good. My car does have the lighting package and I'm just wondering if there is any troubleshooting I can do (without pulling the headlight) before I pull the trigger on ordering parts. I've been quoted between $300 and $500 to replace both main bulbs, but was also warned that changing the bulb may not resolve the issue. Would replacing bulbs and ballasts be a 100% guarantee fix, or are there other parts that could be causing the problem? Also, does anyone have experience ordering parts from hidconcept.com? They seem to have the best prices on bulbs and appear to be a reputable site.

Here are some of my observations of the issue:
  • - driver headlight would work intermittently for a month or two
  • - when it worked, all signal lights and corner marker lights would work (the ones that come on when you turn a corner); when the main beam when out, the corner light also would not work
  • - now it seems like the main beam is out for good

Another issue I have is with the adaptive lighting that follows the steering input. It's been giving me an overheating error message whenever it's enabled for about a year. I don't think the two issues are related, but I am curious if it may be worth troubleshooting/replacing the motor while I have the headlight(s) out?

Thanks in advance!

Mugzy

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been dealing with a left headlight working intermittently for about two months and it seems to have gone out for good. My car does have the lighting package and I'm just wondering if there is any troubleshooting I can do (without pulling the headlight) before I pull the trigger on ordering parts. I've been quoted between $300 and $500 to replace both main bulbs, but was also warned that changing the bulb may not resolve the issue. Would replacing bulbs and ballasts be a 100% guarantee fix, or are there other parts that could be causing the problem? Also, does anyone have experience ordering parts from hidconcept.com? They seem to have the best prices on bulbs and appear to be a reputable site.

Here are some of my observations of the issue:
  • - driver headlight would work intermittently for a month or two
  • - when it worked, all signal lights and corner marker lights would work (the ones that come on when you turn a corner); when the main beam when out, the corner light also would not work
  • - now it seems like the main beam is out for good

Another issue I have is with the adaptive lighting that follows the steering input. It's been giving me an overheating error message whenever it's enabled for about a year. I don't think the two issues are related, but I am curious if it may be worth troubleshooting/replacing the motor while I have the headlight(s) out?

Thanks in advance!
Did you ever find a solution to this? I have been to the dealership 4 times for a total of 8 days and I still have the issue except mine is the right side headlight.

iblack0467

Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
I'm still having an issue. To this point here's what I've noticed/done:
-driver headlight intermittently went on and off for a month or two, then finally packed in for good
-changed ballast on driver side and both bulbs
-driver headlight worked fine for about a week, then started to come on slower than passenger side, sometimes flickering when coming on. After a couple of weeks, the driver side was intermittently working, then turned off again for good.
-I spoke with the company I bought the ballast from and they requested I do some troubleshooting, so that where I am today. I pulled the bumper and headlights again and have swapped the ballasts driver to passenger. Drivers' side still out.
-next I swapped the bulbs driver to passenger and the drivers' side is still out.

I am now at a loss. Both side pins, connectors, and harness look fine, though the clips are broken.

The only other thing that could  possibly have something to do with it is the rear tag lights? I swapped from the factory incandescents to an LED kit from DAP or ECS with an in-line resistor (to get rid of the dash light). For about six months now I've been getting an intermittent "check tag light" message, even though both tag lights are on every time I check.

I'm worried there is something internally wrong with the headlight assembly that I won't be able to fix on the cheap.

EDIT: swapped driver and passenger headlight fuses. Driver side still out.

Last edited:

iblack0467

Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
Do you have VCDS or OBDEleven? There's a lighting control module that will give you better idea of the exact issue. I would get a scan before ordering parts.
I'm actually ordering one today to do brakes on my parents 2018 Atlas. I'll do that when it comes in!

iblack0467

Car(s)
MK7 GTI Autobahn
Do you have VCDS or OBDEleven? There's a lighting control module that will give you better idea of the exact issue. I would get a scan before ordering parts.
So, ran the diag. a week and a half or so ago and I'm just getting back around to this. The only fault that shows up is below:

Trouble codes:
B121715 - Left low beam headlamp bulb Open circuit/short circuit to B+
static

Does this give you any idea on what I should be looking in to?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Looks like you have intermittend issues with the left headlight. If the main beam is out other light don't work either. I might be wrong, but the one common thing between all light functions is the ground.
- Have you checked the headlight 14-pin connector yet? Any signs of water/corrosion at the headlight connector pins?
- There are 2 brown ground wires that go into the 14-pin headlight connector. Any chance on of them is damaged?
- Unlikely but maybe the ground wiring inside of the headlight housing is weak/damaged? Does the issue follow the headlight housing? Swap left and right headlight and see if it follows.