GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello all

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
I'm new to the VW GTI platform. I have a red 2016 GTI 6MT. It has less than 45k miles on it. The shifter feels a little loose for my tastes but it shifts fine and it's fine when hot rodding it as well. I've seen on modded euros they basically have everything I need to upgrade it except actual transmission ans engine things like head, built transmissions, new pistons, cams, connecting rods, etc... if I ever decide to upgrade a few things I'd like to know where to go for that stuff. If anyone has any info that would be great.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Welcome and congrats on the GTI. Lots of information on here about what I think you’re asking about. If you search for keywords like “built motor”, “connecting rods”, etc., I’d be willing to bet that you’ll find what you’re looking for. Of course someone may just chime in on this thread as well. I hope you find what you’re looking for and post some pics of your GTI (or WS6) if you like.

E.g. Built motor

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I'm new to the VW GTI platform. I have a red 2016 GTI 6MT. It has less than 45k miles on it. The shifter feels a little loose for my tastes but it shifts fine and it's fine when hot rodding it as well. I've seen on modded euros they basically have everything I need to upgrade it except actual transmission ans engine things like head, built transmissions, new pistons, cams, connecting rods, etc... if I ever decide to upgrade a few things I'd like to know where to go for that stuff. If anyone has any info that would be great.
With regards to your 6MT, read this thread starting with the first page...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-make-a-mk7-6mt-suck-less.349809/

Modded Euros is just one website of at least a dozen out there that have aftermarket parts for this platform. Just do a Google search for aftermarket volkswagen parts or mk7 gti parts and it will bring up the majority of vendors. You're not going to find built transmissions, built heads or even built blocks for sale anywhere because they don't sell that. You have to buy the parts individually and have a shop or yourself do the work. I had my transmission built, bought all the parts and spare transmission online and sent them along with my transmission up to a shop in NY to have the work done.

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
Welcome and congrats on the GTI. Lots of information on here about what I think you’re asking about. If you search for keywords like “built motor”, “connecting rods”, etc., I’d be willing to bet that you’ll find what you’re looking for. Of course someone may just chime in on this thread as well. I hope you find what you’re looking for and post some pics of your GTI (or WS6) if you like.

E.g. Built motor
How did you know about my WS6? Lol, it's currently in the shop getting, prc227 heads, fast lsx 102mm intake, 105mm TB, th400 swap, getting a ford 8.8 rear, etc... done. I'll post some pics later once I take some of my GTI. I'm just used to how things are with buying parts for the WS6. Was hoping it would be the same for the GTI.

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
With regards to your 6MT, read this thread starting with the first page...

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-make-a-mk7-6mt-suck-less.349809/

Modded Euros is just one website of at least a dozen out there that have aftermarket parts for this platform. Just do a Google search for aftermarket volkswagen parts or mk7 gti parts and it will bring up the majority of vendors. You're not going to find built transmissions, built heads or even built blocks for sale anywhere because they don't sell that. You have to buy the parts individually and have a shop or yourself do the work. I had my transmission built, bought all the parts and spare transmission online and sent them along with my transmission up to a shop in NY to have the work done.
Yeah I've probably read that like 5 times already lol. I don't like Cobb website and I've seen some other websites that only seem to offer very little as to what I want. I like having a one stop shop to go to for everything I need. For example Texas Speed and Performance has everything I need for my 01 WS6. Now if I don't like their cam selection I have two other places I goto like cam guru Brian Tooley or GPI. All 3 are the best in the business for anything LS related.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Yeah I've probably read that like 5 times already lol. I don't like Cobb website and I've seen some other websites that only seem to offer very little as to what I want. I like having a one stop shop to go to for everything I need. For example Texas Speed and Performance has everything I need for my 01 WS6. Now if I don't like their cam selection I have two other places I goto like cam guru Brian Tooley or GPI. All 3 are the best in the business for anything LS related.
You should shop around as other vendors might have better deals. There's UroTuning, USPMotorsport, Shop DAP, ECS Tuning, Pag Parts, FFE Racing, AWE, Precision Raceworks, and APR just to name a few.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Do you have a specific goal for the car? ie stock dependable daily driver, canyon carver, or a full on max horsepower build. That would maybe help in pointing you to a particular vendor or even a brand.

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
Do you have a specific goal for the car? ie stock dependable daily driver, canyon carver, or a full on max horsepower build. That would maybe help in pointing you to a particular vendor or even a brand.
It would be drag racing for sure. Bigger turbo, bigger turbo cams, etc... just looking to see the total costs and what not seems like I can do a full bolt ons for a few thousand which isn't bad at all and a lot cheaper than I'm used to lol

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
It would be drag racing for sure. Bigger turbo, bigger turbo cams, etc... just looking to see the total costs and what not seems like I can do a full bolt ons for a few thousand which isn't bad at all and a lot cheaper than I'm used to lol
First, leave the mindset of how you mod your WS6 V8 Trans Am when modding your GTI because it's completely different like there are no aftermarket cams for this platform. By the way, I love TA's! My first car was a '88 GTA in black with a LS motor swap and 4.11 posi rear and it was a blast to drive. Anyways, not to discourage you but I hope you have some deep pockets because it will cost you tens of thousands for everything to mod this platform for drag racing. A complete built block with cylinder head can range from $8K - $12K depending on the parts you get and the shops labor. I've been building mine for drag racing and you can take a look at the list of parts that I already have in my build thread for reference and it's a long list.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...s-2016-gti-s-build-a-k-a-jersey-devil.378424/

For upgraded turbo, I highly suggest skipping a hybrid and going with a full frame turbo which you can get a kit from DBV2. I ended up getting his G30-900 turbo kit, which I have yet to install but I'm working on that. Another word of advice, stay away from any kits that utilize the OEM electronic wastegate actuator because that damn thing fails all the time! I am on my 4th one with my current hybrid turbo so don't believe any of those vendors that want to say it's a great wastegate because they are only trying to make money off of it. It sucks and always has issues!

https://www.dbv2.com/collections/volkswagen?page=3

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
How did you know about my WS6? Lol, it's currently in the shop getting, prc227 heads, fast lsx 102mm intake, 105mm TB, th400 swap, getting a ford 8.8 rear, etc... done. I'll post some pics later once I take some of my GTI. I'm just used to how things are with buying parts for the WS6. Was hoping it would be the same for the GTI.
1670083455318.png

Hard to ignore the 2 letters and a number, if you know what they mean. Stoked for your build!

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Dude, that was your first car?!?! JFC I can’t imagine. I still have a soft spot for GTAs.
Back in '94 - '95 when I was 17 and started driving, the majority of my friends had Mustangs which I didn't care for. One of my friends had a '88 IROC Z28 and I liked it better than the mid to late '80s Mustangs that almost every high school student was driving (I went to HS is central Jersey, not too far from the shore). My Dad is a Pontiac fan so he told me about the TAs and GTAs and so once I saw them, I had to have one. Then when the WS6 came out for the '95 TA, I wanted one soo bad but couldn't afford it. Love the way they look especially with that double hood scoop. Maybe one day I'll get another one only if I can find one that has been taking care and not beat up.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Back in '94 - '95 when I was 17 and started driving, the majority of my friends had Mustangs which I didn't care for. One of my friends had a '88 IROC Z28 and I liked it better than the mid to late '80s Mustangs that almost every high school student was driving (I went to HS is central Jersey, not too far from the shore). My Dad is a Pontiac fan so he told me about the TAs and GTAs and so once I saw them, I had to have one. Then when the WS6 came out for the '95 TA, I wanted one soo bad but couldn't afford it. Love the way they look especially with that double hood scoop. Maybe one day I'll get another one only if I can find one that has been taking care and not beat up.
My first car was a Firebird but I lacked understanding or knowledge in cars and no one hit me upside the head for getting the lesser trim. At least it was a manual, when manuals were the faster/ better option. It took me a while but I worked 2 jobs to get a nice 5 speed 5.0 Mustang, and my best friend had a ‘87 IROC. We lived in a trailer and had mullets. America, fuck yeah!

chrismc1000

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 01 WS6
First, leave the mindset of how you mod your WS6 V8 Trans Am when modding your GTI because it's completely different like there are no aftermarket cams for this platform. By the way, I love TA's! My first car was a '88 GTA in black with a LS motor swap and 4.11 posi rear and it was a blast to drive. Anyways, not to discourage you but I hope you have some deep pockets because it will cost you tens of thousands for everything to mod this platform for drag racing. A complete built block with cylinder head can range from $8K - $12K depending on the parts you get and the shops labor. I've been building mine for drag racing and you can take a look at the list of parts that I already have in my build thread for reference and it's a long list.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...s-2016-gti-s-build-a-k-a-jersey-devil.378424/

For upgraded turbo, I highly suggest skipping a hybrid and going with a full frame turbo which you can get a kit from DBV2. I ended up getting his G30-900 turbo kit, which I have yet to install but I'm working on that. Another word of advice, stay away from any kits that utilize the OEM electronic wastegate actuator because that damn thing fails all the time! I am on my 4th one with my current hybrid turbo so don't believe any of those vendors that want to say it's a great wastegate because they are only trying to make money off of it. It sucks and always has issues!

https://www.dbv2.com/collections/volkswagen?page=3
Ima have to look at your build. I knew building an engine wouldn't be cheap but 7k for a built bottom end and head work with no aftermarket cams is pointless imo. I just figured comp cams would have them lol. Guess I'll leave the real power for my WS6 then. Just do some minor bolt ons to the GTI amd enjoy the mpg. Thanks for the advice